Re: Zenithstar 105 APO Date of manufacture

  • williamopticsmarketing
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hi Wayne,
      ok now I remember your case!
      Mmm, I am not sure who sells R&P focusers, sorry..
      What do you mean by, better control?

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <wayne.gay@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for all the replies...
      >
      > I appreciate them.
      >
      > I love my ZS-105 every since William collimated it, it gives great
      > images. I am planning to use it as my travel scope, once my TOA-130
      > arrives.
      > One more question for all you guru's. I would really like to
      upgrade
      > the focuser to a Rack and pinion for better control. Anything
      > available out there? I have been in touch with Starlight
      Instruments
      > and he is looking at a few ideas, but if we don't have to re-invent
      > the wheel, so to speak, I would like to know what else is available.
      >
      > Thanks again
      >
      > Wayne
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
      > <williamopticsmarketing@> wrote:
      > >

      > > The ZS 105 were produced in 2005 (with pre-production samples
      > > starting in late 2004/early 2005). They are air spaced, no oil..
      > The
      > > lenses were produced in monthly batches.
      > >
      > > Our opinion on this triplet is that is has a very good color
      > > correction and offered a very good value back then (maybe even
      > now),
      > > but when we developed the 110 lens approx. 1 year later, we came
      > out
      > > with an equally well corrected lens based on a TMB design,
      larger,
      > > better coatings, sharper for high-power visual observation and
      just
      > > little more expensive, we decided to offer it in the ZS 110 and
      FLT-
      > > 110 configurations. We also could offer the dedicated field
      > flattener
      > > for the FLT configuration, which has proved an excellent match
      for
      > > imaging.
      > >

      > > As commented on other posts, now the ZS 110 has run its course..
      > > Altough we still get lots of requests, the scope is sold out at
      > our
      > > HQ (still a few sets left in the USA, I think 2 or 3... not sure
      > for
      > > how long) and we think it makes no sense to run a new batch when
      we
      > > have the FLT-110 which performs equally (same optics), but has
      much
      > > better mechanics. It is best to use those funds for new
      telescopes.

      > > The good feature we lose is the "binoviwer friendly" nature of
      the
      > ZS
      > > 110 though... So for marketing and production reasons alike, we
      > > will now promote the excellent FLT-110, and concentrate on
      working
      > on
      > > many new products for the coming year...
      > >

      > > Daniel
      > >

      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Carter"
      <chiron666@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Well, I recieved my new 105mm triplet on 20 Dec 2005. The
      serial
      > > no. is
      > > > 059903. I believe it is an air spaced triplet design. This
      has
      > > been a
      > > > great performing telescope.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html
      > > >
      > > > Ciao...Barry
      > > >

      > > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <wayne.gay@>

      > SN:059942
      > > was
      > > oil
      > > Daniel?

    • Wayne
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
        <williamopticsmarketing@...> wrote:

        > Hi Wayne,
        > ok now I remember your case!
        > Mmm, I am not sure who sells R&P focusers, sorry..
        > What do you mean by, better control?

        What I mean is the current crayford focuser has spots where it slips
        when I am trying to focus my camera, worse when I am pointing near
        the zenith. I use Robofocus for focusing and while the motor tries to
        focus, the shaft slips on the draw tube and I cannot get precise
        focusing. I have tried tightening the tension as much as possible,
        but then it is too tight in other places and very stiff for focusing
        with robofocus. The point where I need focus changes with the
        accessories in use, like with and without reducers etc... My other
        scopes, TV-85 and Pentax 105 both have R&P focusers and are very easy
        to focus with Robofocus.

        BTW the collimation made a huge difference. No more elongated stars
        in the corners, now I see why others rave about the William Optics
        telescopes. Great scope. I want to keep this telescope and sell the
        pentax 105 (it has problems with focus in the blue spectrum).

        Wayne