Re: [William Optics] Re: WO FFIII to CCD chip distance?

  • Scott Walker
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007
      I do not believe this is true. I can not find the drawing for the FFII, but the FFIII drawing references off a different surface. If you scale off this drawing the distance between the back of the FFIII, not including the T-thread, and the sensor is 55mm. The drawing on the WO websight defines a distance between the sensor and the front of an undefined camera. There is an undefined adapter between the FFIII and the undefined camera. WO has a tendency to define the ideal sensor to flattener distance to features that are hard for the user to measure. It would be helpful if WO defined the distance with respect to the mounting feature. For example for a t-mount this is the back of the FF, not including the threads. I believe the posted image with the M90 and a Canon DSLR looks pretty good. I believed the tester used a stardard t-mount. A standard T-mount generate a 55mm distance between the back of the FFIII, not including the thread, and the sensor. I too used a stardard t-mount when I did my testing with the WOZS80FD. The results are in the files section. DSLR users can make this distance longer by adding a spacer or a shim, but it is difficult to make it shorter. For longer focal length scopes, decreasing this distance will likely cause the FF to better match the curvature of the scope.

      Scott Walker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007
        Scott, I think you are right. I will check the exact specs of both.
        What I a know is that a few mm can make a big difference in results, at
        least from our customers' comments!

        Daniel
      • Scott Walker
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2007