Re: [William Optics] Nova in M31 ??

  • Kurt Friedrich
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
      My guess would be that you either made a mistake in
      aligninging your images, or when you stacked them, you
      stacked one or more if the images that were not
      aligned. So your nova, is actually the core of M31
      shifted over.

      just a guess?

      Kurt

      "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

      "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

      /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg

      > Regards,
      >
      > --
      > Paul Gordon
      > paul@...
      > HYPERLINK
      > "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
      > P Think of the environment... Please don't print
      > this e-mail unless
      > necessary.

      > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > Release Date: 7/30/2007
      > 5:02 PM

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
    • Andy Tabor
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
        Hi Paul,

        If we take the size of the Andromeda Galaxy to be 220,000 light years
        across, then your "nova" appears to be a few thousand light years
        across.... and it has grown to that size in only 24 hours!

        It seems more likely that it is a processing artefact I'm afraid.

        Andy

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gordon"
        <paul.gordon@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Not sure about this but I have just been imaging M31 and seen a
        bright
        > 'blob'
        > in M31 like a very large nova can some one check in case its my poor
        > processing.
        > (If not can I bag the name??? :-)))
        >
        > M31 tonight 05-08-2007
        > HYPERLINK
        > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-
        2007b.jpg"http:/
        > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg
        >
        > M31 Yesterday 04-08-2007 nothing there
        > HYPERLINK
        > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-
        2007b.jpg"http:/
        > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > --
        > Paul Gordon
        > paul@...
        > HYPERLINK "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
        > P Think of the environment... Please don't print this e-mail unless
        > necessary.

        > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        7/30/2007
        > 5:02 PM

      • chris provost
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
          It's definatly a mis aligned sub. Notice the two
          stars in the satellite galaxy. There should only be
          1.

          Chris
          --- Paul Gordon <paul.gordon@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Not sure about this but I have just been imaging M31
          > and seen a bright
          > 'blob'
          > in M31 like a very large nova can some one check in
          > case its my poor
          > processing.
          > (If not can I bag the name??? :-)))
          >
          > M31 tonight 05-08-2007
          > HYPERLINK

          "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

          /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg

          > M31 Yesterday 04-08-2007 nothing there
          > HYPERLINK

          "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

          /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg

          > Regards,
          >
          > --
          > Paul Gordon
          > paul@...
          > HYPERLINK
          > "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
          > P Think of the environment... Please don't print
          > this e-mail unless
          > necessary.

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          > Release Date: 7/30/2007
          > 5:02 PM

        • Andy Tabor
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
            Yes, Chris is correct. Bright stars in the "before image" have
            faint "ghosts" in the "after" image offset by the same amount as
            the "nova" is offset from the core of M31.

            Andy

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, chris provost

            ______________
            > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
            updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

          • Paul Gordon
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
              Hi All,

              TYes looking at the cold ligh of day this morrning.
              It looks to be a processing issue :-(
              I cannot see this in the RAW images.
              This will teach me not to rush the job at 1am in the morrning.

              Never mind one day...

              --
              Paul G
              Paul@...

              wrote:

              > It's definatly a mis aligned sub. Notice the two stars in the
              > satellite galaxy. There should only be 1.
              >
              > Chris
              > --- Paul Gordon <paul.gordon@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > Not sure about this but I have just been imaging M31 and seen a
              > > bright 'blob'
              > > in M31 like a very large nova can some one check in case its my poor
              > > processing.
              > > (If not can I bag the name??? :-)))
              > >
              > > M31 tonight 05-08-2007
              > > HYPERLINK
              > >
              > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-
              2007b.jpg"http:/

              > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg
              > >
              > > M31 Yesterday 04-08-2007 nothing there HYPERLINK
              > >
              > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-
              2007b.jpg"http:/

              > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > --
              > > Paul Gordon
              > > paul@...
              > > HYPERLINK
              > > "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
              > > P Think of the environment... Please don't print this e-mail unless
              > > necessary.

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              5:02 PM