Nova in M31 ??

  • Paul Gordon
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
      Hi All,

      Not sure about this but I have just been imaging M31 and seen a bright 'blob'
      in M31 like a very large nova can some one check in case its my poor processing.
      (If not can I bag the name??? :-)))

      M31 tonight 05-08-2007

      M31 Yesterday 04-08-2007 nothing there

      Regards,

      --
      Paul Gordon
      paul@...

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Kurt Friedrich
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
        My guess would be that you either made a mistake in
        aligninging your images, or when you stacked them, you
        stacked one or more if the images that were not
        aligned. So your nova, is actually the core of M31
        shifted over.

        just a guess?

        Kurt

        "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

        "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

        /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg

        > Regards,
        >
        > --
        > Paul Gordon
        > paul@...
        > HYPERLINK
        > "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
        > P Think of the environment... Please don't print
        > this e-mail unless
        > necessary.

        > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        > Release Date: 7/30/2007
        > 5:02 PM

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • Andy Tabor
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
          Hi Paul,

          If we take the size of the Andromeda Galaxy to be 220,000 light years
          across, then your "nova" appears to be a few thousand light years
          across.... and it has grown to that size in only 24 hours!

          It seems more likely that it is a processing artefact I'm afraid.

          Andy

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gordon"
          <paul.gordon@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Not sure about this but I have just been imaging M31 and seen a
          bright
          > 'blob'
          > in M31 like a very large nova can some one check in case its my poor
          > processing.
          > (If not can I bag the name??? :-)))
          >
          > M31 tonight 05-08-2007
          > HYPERLINK
          > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-
          2007b.jpg"http:/
          > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg
          >
          > M31 Yesterday 04-08-2007 nothing there
          > HYPERLINK
          > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-
          2007b.jpg"http:/
          > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > --
          > Paul Gordon
          > paul@...
          > HYPERLINK "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
          > P Think of the environment... Please don't print this e-mail unless
          > necessary.

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          7/30/2007
          > 5:02 PM

        • chris provost
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
            It's definatly a mis aligned sub. Notice the two
            stars in the satellite galaxy. There should only be
            1.

            Chris
            --- Paul Gordon <paul.gordon@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Not sure about this but I have just been imaging M31
            > and seen a bright
            > 'blob'
            > in M31 like a very large nova can some one check in
            > case its my poor
            > processing.
            > (If not can I bag the name??? :-)))
            >
            > M31 tonight 05-08-2007
            > HYPERLINK

            "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

            /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg

            > M31 Yesterday 04-08-2007 nothing there
            > HYPERLINK

            "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg"http:/

            /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg

            > Regards,
            >
            > --
            > Paul Gordon
            > paul@...
            > HYPERLINK
            > "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
            > P Think of the environment... Please don't print
            > this e-mail unless
            > necessary.

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            > Release Date: 7/30/2007
            > 5:02 PM

          • Andy Tabor
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
              Yes, Chris is correct. Bright stars in the "before image" have
              faint "ghosts" in the "after" image offset by the same amount as
              the "nova" is offset from the core of M31.

              Andy

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, chris provost

              ______________
              > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
              updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

            • Paul Gordon
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
                Hi All,

                TYes looking at the cold ligh of day this morrning.
                It looks to be a processing issue :-(
                I cannot see this in the RAW images.
                This will teach me not to rush the job at 1am in the morrning.

                Never mind one day...

                --
                Paul G
                Paul@...

                wrote:

                > It's definatly a mis aligned sub. Notice the two stars in the
                > satellite galaxy. There should only be 1.
                >
                > Chris
                > --- Paul Gordon <paul.gordon@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > Not sure about this but I have just been imaging M31 and seen a
                > > bright 'blob'
                > > in M31 like a very large nova can some one check in case its my poor
                > > processing.
                > > (If not can I bag the name??? :-)))
                > >
                > > M31 tonight 05-08-2007
                > > HYPERLINK
                > >
                > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-
                2007b.jpg"http:/

                > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-05-08-2007b.jpg
                > >
                > > M31 Yesterday 04-08-2007 nothing there HYPERLINK
                > >
                > "http://www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-
                2007b.jpg"http:/

                > /www.madpc.net/EOS-350D/2007/Megrez-90/M31/M31-04-08-2007b.jpg
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > --
                > > Paul Gordon
                > > paul@...
                > > HYPERLINK
                > > "http://www.madpc.net/"http://www.madpc.net
                > > P Think of the environment... Please don't print this e-mail unless
                > > necessary.

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                5:02 PM