prolonged outdoor use

  • megarat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30 9:51 AM
      Hey all,

      I'm considering setting up two telescopes, more or less permanently, outdoors.
      Since I find that I use the scopes more often if there isn't much to set up,
      I'd like to have them permanently at the ready. My plan involves setting them
      on up a decent tripod/pier, and keeping the scopes protected with a tarpaulin
      or other waterproof cover.

      As it goes, I live someplace relatively humid with lots of rain (Seattle), and
      an observatory or other enclosing structure is out of the question, so I'm a
      bit concerned about how the scopes will fare over time under these conditions.
      Can anyone share their thoughts about this? How much do I need to worry about
      rust, or moisture in the optics, or ...?

      (For the details, the scopes I hope to set up are a WO ZS66SD and a Coronado
      PST.)

      Thanks,
      -cam

    • slomobog
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31 7:50 AM
        Hi Cam.

        If this were my decision to make, and I lived in Tucson, I still might
        not do it. I live in Oregon, and I would definitely not do it, but
        that's me. Those two devices will not survive our rainy environment
        very long in the elements, even covered.

        While keeping direct rainfall off of them will obviously be important,
        it's the airflow that's critical for reducing oxidation as well as
        retained static moisture. As you well know I'm sure, mildew and molds
        grow abundantly here, and all that's needed is one spore inside the
        OTA, or worse, on the inside of an objective lens, and your lovely
        ZenithStar telescope will become an AlgaeStar microscope (and
        impossible to focus on the little green men growing on your lenses!).
        A tarpaulin is a bad idea for this very reason.

        I would consider other options to keeping $1000.00 worth of scopes
        outside in Seattle permanently. Perhaps you can build a tripod on
        casters, so that you can leave the scopes set up, and roll them out on
        those rare cloud-free nights. A better option would be to
        have a permanently mounted tripod in a good location and have your
        scopes mounted on a detachable head that would avail you the
        opportunity to bring your scopes indoors with you, where they'll be
        much safer. There are many Alt-Az heads that can have both scopes
        mounted easily. William Optics' EZT Alt-Az comes to mind, as does one
        by Hutech. Both of these have photographic tripod threaded bases onto
        which you can install a quick release plate such as the ones made for
        Manfrotto photo tripod heads, which are adequate for the weight you
        are dealing with. See the link below for an example.

        http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/4432?livid=80|81&lsf=81&child=1

        I live in Oregon, so I understand the desire to reduce the work of
        setting up on those relatively few clear nights, but I have resigned
        myself to having small scopes that are simple to set up. I often drive
        out to dark sky locations not far from the house, but I have
        considered building a quick-view setup here. If I did do that, I would
        design it simply so that the scopes can come inside.

        Good luck and good seeing!

        Charlie

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, megarat <megarat@...> wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > I'm considering setting up two telescopes, more or less permanently,
        outdoors.
        > Since I find that I use the scopes more often if there isn't much to
        set up,
        > I'd like to have them permanently at the ready. My plan involves
        setting them
        > on up a decent tripod/pier, and keeping the scopes protected with a
        tarpaulin
        > or other waterproof cover.
        >
        > As it goes, I live someplace relatively humid with lots of rain
        (Seattle), and
        > an observatory or other enclosing structure is out of the question,
        so I'm a
        > bit concerned about how the scopes will fare over time under these
        conditions.
        > Can anyone share their thoughts about this? How much do I need to
        worry about
        > rust, or moisture in the optics, or ...?
        >
        > (For the details, the scopes I hope to set up are a WO ZS66SD and a
        Coronado
        > PST.)
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -cam

        > Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security
        of spyware protection.
        > http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/norton/index.php

      • Clayton Kessler
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31 12:11 PM
          Cam,

          I live in Michigan and I have had my G11 set up since summer of 2003.
          I use a cover for the system - currently the Telegizmo 365/24 cover
          which seems to be holding up very well after 8 months. The setup
          includes a scope or scopes that change infrequently - currently a
          ZS66SD and a Megrez90. Also out there all this time has been my ST4
          head and controller.

          Michigan is not as wet as Seattle - especially this summer - but the
          system seems to survive with no problems after 4 years. If you do
          this frequently inspect the cover that you use. The only problems
          that I have had were wnem some older "Desert Storm" type covers turned
          to tatters in bad storms. This has happened twice and I have been wet
          wrapping a tarp over the system to keep it dry until after the
          wind/rain stops.

          Clay Kessler