very large diagonals

  • SiriusGuy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
      Relative to the inquiry about 2-inch diagonals, I believe that some larger observatory telescopes have used sizes even larger than 2-inch, again mainly to deal with the field of view issue.  Of course, with all of the newer ones typically NOT being for direct visual usage, this must now be uncommon.

      Alan Birnbaum
      Fresno CA

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
        It's true for visual use on large observatory scopes as well. The
        club I am in occasionally rents the 60 inch telescope at Mt. Wilson
        for a night of visual observing. The eyepieces for that scope are 4
        inchers. And at that it still give only a narrow field of view due to
        the very long focal length of the scope.

        Greg