How is the new WO110mm refractor?

  • bingsca <denturist89@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2002
      Hi group,

      I am following up on a couple of refractors mainly the WO110mm
      refractor. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

      1)Is the WO110mm a good scope for ccd imaging (I have a
      Starlightxpress MX716 CCD and is there a field flattener available?
      2)Does this refractor require a field flattener/reducer?
      3)Can a binoviewer be used without it's 2x barlow on this scope (I
      have the TV binoviewer)?
      4)Does the WO110 require a fine focuser(Robofocus or any other type)
      for ccd imaging or is their stock focuser accurate enough?
      5)How is the WO110mm on planets- visually?
      6) How is the over all quality?

      If anybody can answer some or all of these questions, I would greatly
      appreciate it.

      Regards, Chris
      Toronto,Canada
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2002
        Chris,

        Your in my neighborhood (GTA), and I maybe I can answer maybe one or two of your questions and others can answer the rest.

        Q1 -  The FLT-110 has performed impeccably with my MX7C mounted on it (for which I believe the MX716 is the kissing cousin).

        Q2 - I have not found the need for a field flattener nor have I heard anyone else, but more decimating imagers can answer this better than I.

        Q3 - I have not tried this personally, but the back focus is fairly long.

        Q4 - I have done well in the focusing department manually, but have just received the appropriate hardware to try my Optec TCF focuser on the scope.  Back focus will be my only concern, but feel I can reach it.  I have tried a PowerMate 4.5x and had to fashion some additional extensions to reach focus.

        Q5 - If you wish to own one of the finest, value for your money apo's available then the WO FLT-110 is for you.  The quality and craftsmanship is a benchmark for all others.  For this I will put my money where my mouth is and happy to demonstrate it.  On top of this we are fortunate to have it represented here in Toronto by one of the finest dealers in Canada (Jim Kendrikof http://www.kendrick-ai.com/ ).

        Jim

      • Paul K <pkane2001@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2002
          Chris, find my comments below,

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "bingsca <denturist89@a...>"
          <denturist89@a...> wrote:
          > Hi group,
          >
          > I am following up on a couple of refractors mainly the WO110mm
          > refractor. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.
          >
          > 1)Is the WO110mm a good scope for ccd imaging (I have a
          > Starlightxpress MX716 CCD and is there a field flattener available?
          > 2)Does this refractor require a field flattener/reducer?

          -- The scope performs really well with ccd. Look at some of my latest
          images at http://pk.darkhorizons.org for examples. The field
          flattener is not necessary unless you get into 35mm photography or
          medium to large format. CCD's with their small chips are small enough
          to not notice any field curvature even at the edges. I'm going to try
          the AP 0.75x reducer to increase the field of view and to reduce the
          f/ratio. It's not necessary unless you want it ;-)

          > 3)Can a binoviewer be used without it's 2x barlow on this scope (I
          > have the TV binoviewer)?

          --- Don't know, but the back-focus on this scope is more than any
          I've seen in the past, so the chances are good that it'll work
          without a barlow.

          > 4)Does the WO110 require a fine focuser(Robofocus or any other
          type)
          > for ccd imaging or is their stock focuser accurate enough?

          --- The focuser works well and is very sturdy. I use the JMI NGF/S
          motorized focuser on the back (there's plenty of back-focus for it),
          but found that I can focus just as easily manually, using the stock
          focuser.

          > 5)How is the WO110mm on planets- visually?
          --- Simply stunning. No false color, very sharp up to about 300x (my
          shortest fl eyepiece is a 2.5mm).

          > 6) How is the over all quality?
          --- One of the finest scopes I've seen.

          Good luck,

          -Paul
          http://pk.darkhorizons.org
        • bingsca <denturist89@aol.com>
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2002
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jim.a@r...>
            wrote:
            > Chris,
            >
            > Your in my neighborhood (GTA), and I maybe I can answer maybe one
            or two of
            > your questions and others can answer the rest.
            >
            > Q1 - The FLT-110 has performed impeccably with my MX7C mounted on
            it (for
            > which I believe the MX716 is the kissing cousin).
            >
            > Q2 - I have not found the need for a field flattener nor have I
            heard anyone
            > else, but more decimating imagers can answer this better than I.
            >
            > Q3 - I have not tried this personally, but the back focus is fairly
            long.

            > Q4 - I have done well in the focusing department manually, but have
            just
            > received the appropriate hardware to try my Optec TCF focuser on
            the scope.
            > Back focus will be my only concern, but feel I can reach it. I
            have tried a
            > PowerMate 4.5x and had to fashion some additional extensions to
            reach focus.

            > Q5 - If you wish to own one of the finest, value for your money
            apo's
            > available then the WO FLT-110 is for you. The quality and
            craftsmanship is
            > a benchmark for all others. For this I will put my money where my
            mouth is
            > and happy to demonstrate it. On top of this we are fortunate to
            have it
            > represented here in Toronto by one of the finest dealers in Canada
            (Jim
            > Kendrikof http://www.kendrick-ai.com/ ).
            >
            > Jim

            Hi Jim,

            Thanks for getting in touch and I appreciate your help. I live near
            Scarborough Bluffs not too far from the lake. I just started ccd
            imaging, bought a new MX716 camera two months ago and I just found
            out that Starlight announced their new ccd camera (it figures). They
            have a new self guiding camera coming out, check our their yahoo
            group and notice my recent questions directed to Terry Platt owner of
            Starlightxpress.

            Maybe we can get together some time. Here is a list of astro
            equipment I own.

            1)TV85 refractor
            2)Celestron's 9.25 S.C
            3)Losmandy G11 with the Gemini goto
            4)Televue binoviewer
            5)MX716 ccd camera
            6)Robofocuser for the C9.25

            I have both scopes mounted on the Losmandy side by side plate and
            permanently set up in my observatory. I saw the WO110mm refractor for
            the first time at the last Starfest. I have dealt with Kendrick's
            before and they are very nice, accually Dave who works there is a
            friend of mine. I am deciding between this scope and the TEC140mm
            refractor.

            Let me know what you think and thanks again

            Regards, Chris
            Toronto,Canada

            Service.
          • bingsca <denturist89@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2002
              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul K <pkane2001@h...>"
              <pkane2001@h...> wrote:
              > Chris, find my comments below,
              >
              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "bingsca <denturist89@a...>"
              > <denturist89@a...> wrote:
              > > Hi group,
              > >
              > > I am following up on a couple of refractors mainly the WO110mm
              > > refractor. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.
              > >
              > > 1)Is the WO110mm a good scope for ccd imaging (I have a
              > > Starlightxpress MX716 CCD and is there a field flattener
              available?
              > > 2)Does this refractor require a field flattener/reducer?
              >
              > -- The scope performs really well with ccd. Look at some of my
              latest
              > images at http://pk.darkhorizons.org for examples. The field
              > flattener is not necessary unless you get into 35mm photography or
              > medium to large format. CCD's with their small chips are small
              enough
              > to not notice any field curvature even at the edges. I'm going to
              try
              > the AP 0.75x reducer to increase the field of view and to reduce
              the
              > f/ratio. It's not necessary unless you want it ;-)
              >
              > > 3)Can a binoviewer be used without it's 2x barlow on this scope
              (I
              > > have the TV binoviewer)?
              >
              > --- Don't know, but the back-focus on this scope is more than any
              > I've seen in the past, so the chances are good that it'll work
              > without a barlow.
              >
              > > 4)Does the WO110 require a fine focuser(Robofocus or any other
              > type)
              > > for ccd imaging or is their stock focuser accurate enough?
              >
              > --- The focuser works well and is very sturdy. I use the JMI NGF/S
              > motorized focuser on the back (there's plenty of back-focus for
              it),
              > but found that I can focus just as easily manually, using the stock
              > focuser.
              >
              > > 5)How is the WO110mm on planets- visually?
              > --- Simply stunning. No false color, very sharp up to about 300x
              (my
              > shortest fl eyepiece is a 2.5mm).
              >
              > > 6) How is the over all quality?
              > --- One of the finest scopes I've seen.
              >

              > Good luck,
              >
              > -Paul
              > http://pk.darkhorizons.org

              Hi Paul,

              Thank you for the positive information and I really appreciate your
              help. Your images are excellent and I enjoyed looking at them. I have
              the Robofocuser for my C9.25 S.C and it is wonderful and convienient,
              but I am not sure if they make one for the WO110. I will have to
              measure the diameter of the focuser shaft and contact Technical
              Innovations to find out. Let us know how the AP 0.75X reducer works
              out please!

              Thanks again
              Regards, Chris
              Toronto, Canada
            • Jim Anderson
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2002
                Chris,

                Thanks for letting me know about the new SL SXV-H9.  Just sent an email to Walter at Winchester Electronics to put me on the list to receive one.  One MX7-C is now available (c/w star2000 guider).

                :)

                -Jim
                > Your in my neighborhood (GTA), and I maybe I can answer maybe one
                or two of
                > your questions and others can answer the rest.
                >
                > Q1 -  The FLT-110 has performed impeccably with my MX7C mounted on
                it (for
                > which I believe the MX716 is the kissing cousin).
                >
                > Q2 - I have not found the need for a field flattener nor have I
                heard anyone
                > else, but more decimating imagers can answer this better than I.
                >
                > Q3 - I have not tried this personally, but the back focus is fairly
                long.

                > Q4 - I have done well in the focusing department manually, but have
                just
                > received the appropriate hardware to try my Optec TCF focuser on
                the scope.
                > Back focus will be my only concern, but feel I can reach it.  I
                have tried a
                > PowerMate 4.5x and had to fashion some additional extensions to
                reach focus.

                > Q5 - If you wish to own one of the finest, value for your money
                apo's
                > available then the WO FLT-110 is for you.  The quality and
                craftsmanship is
                > a benchmark for all others.  For this I will put my money where my
                mouth is
                > and happy to demonstrate it.  On top of this we are fortunate to
                have it
                > represented here in Toronto by one of the finest dealers in Canada
                (Jim
                > Kendrikof http://www.kendrick-ai.com/ ).
                >
                > Jim

                Hi Jim,

                Thanks for getting in touch and I appreciate your help. I live near
                Scarborough Bluffs not too far from the lake. I just started ccd
                imaging, bought a new MX716 camera two months ago and I just found
                out that Starlight announced their new ccd camera (it figures). They
                have a new self guiding camera coming out, check our their yahoo
                group and notice my recent questions directed to Terry Platt owner of
                Starlightxpress.

                Maybe we can get together some time.  Here is a list of astro
                equipment I own.

                1)TV85 refractor
                2)Celestron's 9.25 S.C
                3)Losmandy G11 with the Gemini goto
                4)Televue binoviewer
                5)MX716 ccd camera
                6)Robofocuser for the C9.25

                I have both scopes mounted on the Losmandy side by side plate and
                permanently set up in my observatory. I saw the WO110mm refractor for
                the first time at the last Starfest. I have dealt with Kendrick's
                before and they are very nice, accually Dave who works there is a
                friend of mine. I am deciding between this scope and the TEC140mm
                refractor.

                Let me know what you think and thanks again

                Regards, Chris
                Toronto,Canada

                Service.

              • bingsca <denturist89@aol.com>
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 15, 2002
                  wrote:
                  > Chris,
                  >
                  > Thanks for letting me know about the new SL SXV-H9. Just sent an
                  email to
                  > Walter at Winchester Electronics to put me on the list to receive
                  one. One
                  > MX7-C is now available (c/w star2000 guider).
                  >
                  > :)
                  >
                  > -Jim

                  Hi Jim,

                  Maybe you might want to hold off for now because in a private e-mail
                  to Terry Platt prior to the announcement, he stated to me that they
                  will be making some sort of retrofit USB device in order to use the
                  new self guider. You will probably might want to sell the Star2000.
                  If this retrofit takes too long then I will have to sell my new MX176
                  (bought from Walter in Oct/02).

                  Clear skies
                  BTW what part of the GTA do you live?

                  Chris
                  Jim

> [...]
                  owner of
                  > Starlightxpress.
                  >
                  > Maybe we can get together some time. Here is a list of astro
                  > equipment I own.
                  >
                  > 1)TV85 refractor
                  > 2)Celestron's 9.25 S.C
                  > 3)Losmandy G11 with the Gemini goto
                  > 4)Televue binoviewer
                  > 5)MX716 ccd camera
                  > 6)Robofocuser for the C9.25
                  >
                  > I have both scopes mounted on the Losmandy side by side plate and
                  > permanently set up in my observatory. I saw the WO110mm refractor
                  for
                  > the first time at the last Starfest. I have dealt with Kendrick's
                  > before and they are very nice, accually Dave who works there is a
                  > friend of mine. I am deciding between this scope and the TEC140mm
                  > refractor.
                  >
                  > Let me know what you think and thanks again

                  Service.