Re: [William-Optics] Zenithstar ED or FD for wide field astronomy?

  • Szalma Zsolt
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 1:33 AM
      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for your input. Every opinion is welcome, pro or con. I use the
      Zenithstar 66 SD and color is not a problem at low, medium
      magnifications. It does show some red color at high powers, and thus
      makes splitting close doubles more difficult. I suspect the 80mm version
      would perform similar as the they both use the same type of glass. Good
      for deep-sky, not so good for lunar/planetary or close doubles.
      However, what worries me more than color is the masking issue. If I
      intend to purchase an 80mm scope then I wouldn't want a 70mm instead.
      Not even a 75mm. So, if the EDII is really masked down, I might want to
      buy the FD instead.

      Zsolt Szalma
      (Hungary)

      scouture@... wrote:
      > Hi Zsolt,
      >
      > I owned the WO ZS II ED, returned it, and replaced it with the FD. I'm
      > the person who's not satisfied with the II ED's color correction and by
      > my calculations it was masked down to a 70mm scope. WO claims that it
      > was masked by only 2mm. I'll post a photo, if it's allowed, and you can
      > decide for yourself.
      >
      > On the positive side, I'm very happy with the color correction of the FD
      > and there's no masking.
      >
      > I suspect if use it on DSOs, you won't have a problem with CA in the II ED.
      >
      > SteveC
    • Szalma Zsolt
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 1:38 AM
        Hi Don,

        Thank you! Yes, I am sure the FD is very good scope. If I had the money,
        I'd go for it without hesitation. I still don't know how much it costs
        in Hungary, but a friend of mine (he runs an astro business) will find
        out soon. I don't plan to engage in any kind of photography with it.

        Zsolt Szalma
        (Hungary)

        Don Klabunde wrote:
        > Zsolt,
        >
        > I've had my Z80FD for a year and half and wouldn't part with it. The
        > views are tack sharp, color free visually, and you can also take
        > great photos with it.
        >
        > One thing to consider is if you might want to use this as a spotting
        > scope or telephoto lens someday. If so, then color correction makes
        > a BIG difference, especially in bright sun light.
        >
        > The FD with it's better color correction is a much better way to go
        > if you want a multi-use scope like I did.
        >
        > Don
      • Szalma Zsolt
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 1:44 AM
          I just so this focuser on the William Optics website. It can be fitted
          to Synta-type refractors, in place of the stock focuser. Neat.
          Has any of you ever tried it? Can it be fitted to the Celestron or
          Skywatcher 80ED scopes?

          http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/synta_features.htm

          Thanks,

          Zsolt Szalma
          (Hungary)
        • baldeagleswordsman
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1 4:02 AM
            Hi Scott,

            As far as I can see both scopes have the same baffle, so I don't know
            what caused the masking. Consequently, I would check any ZS scope for
            masking, some may have it and some may not. Cutting the baffle is not
            an option unless the scope is out of warrenty, since cutting would
            void the warrenty as per WO.

            SteveC

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Walker" <sdwalker@...>
            wrote:

            > Per the numbers given on the WO websight the FD color correction is
            about twice as good as the ED. The numbers given for the ED are
            aboat twices as good as a standard achromat. It looks like Steve
            could see this difference between the two which is not surprising.
            As for the masking of the IIED I would like to see the numbers. I
            would think they use the same baffles as the FD. I know the last
            baffle looks like it just lets the full 80mm through on the FD. What
            is causing the masking on the 80IIED?

            > Scott Walker

            I've ben
            > thinking about upgrading it to an 80mm William Optics scope.
            110mm
            > would be even better, but way out of my budget. So it must be
            an 80mm
            > telescope. I would use it for at low and mid powers for wide
            field
            > deep-sky astronomy. Once in a while I'd look at the Moon or a
            planet,
            > but this wouldn't be its main use.
            >
            > Let's see the options.
            > The Megrez triplet is too expensive for me, so it's out of
            discussion.
            > That leaves me with two Zenithstars to choose from. One is the
            ED II,
            > the other is the FD. Reviews favor the FD for its better color
            > correction. However the FD is really streching my budget. The
            ED is