Re: [William-Optics] Megrez 80mm Super APO

  • Scott Walker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi Joe

      The 80 Megrez Super APO by reputation and design should be a BIG improvement over the ED II.Most come with a 480mm focal length. Shortening the focal length in general increases the color aberation, but the better glass and the triplet design should easily more than make-up the difference. In factor I would expect the color corection to be twice as good as the ZS80FD which is over twice as good as the ZS80IIED.

      It is interesting that you point out the pink fring on the star (I am assuming that is what you meant). The curves given for the 80IIED indicate that is what would be expected. Green and blue are fairly close but red is fairly far off.

      There are no curves provided for the Megrez Super APO, but being a triplet with the near FPL-52/53 Russian glass and its general reputation, it should outperform the ZS80FD. The ZS110 triplet with FPL-51 glass out performs the ZS80FD, so in general one will see a large improvement from a doublet to a triplet if done correctly.

      Scott Walker
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Joe,

        The Megrez Super APO is vastly superior both visually and
        photgraphically to the ED II. I own both the Z80FD and the M80A
        (Super APO). Visually I find the the Z80FD to be color free and tack
        sharp and is my grab-and-go scope of choice (better than the triplet
        because of the faster cool down time of the doublet). I got the M80A
        with it's superior color correction over a wider range of
        wavelengths for wide-field astrophotography where the improvement is
        advantages (see link for color curves for the Super APO).

        www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/megrez80superapo_spec.htm#APOchart

        Don

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "kc5dfp" <kc5dfp@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone.
        >
        > I had a 80mm Megrez ED II APO, but it seemed to have too much
        false
        > color for my liking. I'm considering the 80mm Megrez Super APO as
        > replacement.
        >
        > My question is how much of an improvement is the Super APO over
        the ED
        > version? I'll be using it for both imaging and visual work.
        >
        > With the ED version it seems like I was processing "pink" stars.
        > Visually, I could see false color on brighter objects as well as
        quite
        > a bit of color inside and outside of focus too. So my goal here is
        > get a scope with superior color correction.
        >
        > Info and pictures would help greeatly.
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        >
        > Joe

      • kc5dfp
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2007
          Hello Again and thanks for the information. I plan to do more research
          and perhaps see what's available in the 80mm or 90mm range. Seeing
          there are a few choices I think it will be a while before I commit.

          I'll let you know how it all turns out.

          Thanks Again.

          Joe
        • willsonjared
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2007
            The 80mm Super APO is dramatically better in optical performance to the ED II. I sold my
            ED II to move to the Super APO and was not disappointed. In fact, my 80mm Super APO is
            literally the only scope I have ever owned that has a visually perfect (to my eye) star test. I
            can detect no false color at all at any power, the optics are smooth, and I can not detect
            any zones or spherical aberration. By contrast, I would classify the ED II as being only
            slightly better than an achromat--not a bad deal for low power views, but not intended for
            higher powers. In addition, my ED II had a slight but noticeable amount of wedge error.

            I can't recommend the optics on the 80mm Super APO highly enough. The only real flaw is
            significant field curvature, so plan for a field flattener/focal reducer if your intended use is
            astrophotography. I have had good luck with the TeleVue 0.8x focal reducer with chips up
            to APS-C size.

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "kc5dfp" <kc5dfp@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone.
            >
            > I had a 80mm Megrez ED II APO, but it seemed to have too much false
            > color for my liking. I'm considering the 80mm Megrez Super APO as a
            > replacement.
            >
            > My question is how much of an improvement is the Super APO over the ED
            > version? I'll be using it for both imaging and visual work.
            >
            > With the ED version it seems like I was processing "pink" stars.
            > Visually, I could see false color on brighter objects as well as quite
            > a bit of color inside and outside of focus too. So my goal here is to
            > get a scope with superior color correction.
            >
            > Info and pictures would help greeatly.
            >
            > Thanks for your help!
            >
            > Joe

          • popkrab
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2007
              Hello,

              My friend told me that he have both version of S-APO 80/6.0 and
              80/7.5. The 7.5 is better color correction than 6.0 version including
              contrast too. I only have 7.5 version and I found the color correction
              is the best any APO in its size in every manufacturer.(I don't see yet
              of TMB80SS)

              The down size of 7.5 is strong field curvature. If you plan to use
              this scope for astrophotography, you need focal reducer like Televue
              TRF2008 too.

              Best Regards,
              Pornchai POP

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "kc5dfp" <kc5dfp@...> wrote:

              > Hello Everyone.
              >
              > I had a 80mm Megrez ED II APO, but it seemed to have too much false
              > color for my liking. I'm considering the 80mm Megrez Super APO as a
              > replacement.
              >
              > My question is how much of an improvement is the Super APO over the ED
              > version? I'll be using it for both imaging and visual work.
              >
              > With the ED version it seems like I was processing "pink" stars.
              > Visually, I could see false color on brighter objects as well as quite
              > a bit of color inside and outside of focus too. So my goal here is to
              > get a scope with superior color correction.
              >
              > Info and pictures would help greeatly.
              >
              > Thanks for your help!
              >
              > Joe

            • kc5dfp
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2007
                Hello Everyone.

                I have a W.O. 80mm Super APO on the way! It should be here tomorrow,
                but looks like the new scope curse will be in effect here in Austin Tx.

                I'll post a report ASAP.

                Thanks for your help!

                Joe