Herb, what accessories with Megrez80?

  • rhudson12@excite.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
      What accessories are standard with the Megrez 80? I am trying to
      decide what I need to order with the scope so I can have everything
      needed when it arrives. Nothing worse than getting a new scope and not
      being able to use it.

      From an earlier post, Archer wrote:

      5. Focuser. Rotates without shifting collimation. The Crayford
      style focuser is light and precise. There is sort of a
      "focuser clutch" which seems to disengage the focuser
      knob, as well as a focus lock. The 2" focuser has a brass
      compression ring, and is VERY tight. I don't expect any
      problems with 2" accessories falling out. Focuser barrel
      is chromed, with the very back painted black. A 1.25"
      adapter is included, but it has no compression ring and is
      a much looser fit than the 2" focuser.

      This gave me the impression there was a 1.25" adapter with the scope,
      but I see no reference to it on the website.
      1) Would you recommend a 2.00" or 1.25" diagonal and what are the
      differences? I currently own a generic Celestron 1.25" diagonal, but
      probably need to upgrade.
      2)If I do get a 2", would I need an adapter to use 1.25" eyepieces?
      Those are all I own at this time.
      3)Will the new arrivals include the extension tube you are sending to
      the earlier customers? I assume this is a 2" extension tube.
      4)I plan to use my Bogen3001 and 3047 pan/tilt head at this time. Will
      I need an adapter plate and which one should I order?
      5)The outfit comes with a photo adapter. I own a Nikon 2002 and a
      6006. I would like to use these to try astrophotography. What else do
      I need to be able to use these bodies?
      6)I would like to use a finder with this scope. Would you recommend a
      finderscope or a 1X pointer. If a 1X pointer will be OK, which do you
      recommend? I have never used one before.

      Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing from you.
    • Herb York
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
        > What accessories are standard with the Megrez 80? I am trying to
        > decide what I need to order with the scope so I can have everything
        > needed when it arrives. Nothing worse than getting a new scope and not
        > being able to use it.
        >
        > >From an earlier post, Archer wrote:
        >
        > 5. Focuser. Rotates without shifting collimation. The Crayford
        > style focuser is light and precise. There is sort of a
        > "focuser clutch" which seems to disengage the focuser
        > knob, as well as a focus lock. The 2" focuser has a brass
        > compression ring, and is VERY tight. I don't expect any
        > problems with 2" accessories falling out. Focuser barrel
        > is chromed, with the very back painted black. A 1.25"
        > adapter is included, but it has no compression ring and is
        > a much looser fit than the 2" focuser.
        >
        > This gave me the impression there was a 1.25" adapter with the scope,
        > but I see no reference to it on the website.

        Yes it comes with a 2"-1.25" adapter

        > 1) Would you recommend a 2.00" or 1.25" diagonal and what are the
        > differences? I currently own a generic Celestron 1.25" diagonal, but
        > probably need to upgrade.

        I always prefer 2" diagonals myself but the 1.25" will work with the
        extensions William is sending.

        > 2)If I do get a 2", would I need an adapter to use 1.25" eyepieces?

        Yep

        > Those are all I own at this time.
        > 3)Will the new arrivals include the extension tube you are sending to
        > the earlier customers? I assume this is a 2" extension tube.

        They will have the extension

        > 4)I plan to use my Bogen3001 and 3047 pan/tilt head at this time. Will
        > I need an adapter plate and which one should I order?

        We sell an adapter for $45 that will work on most mounts including a
        standard tripod.

        > 5)The outfit comes with a photo adapter. I own a Nikon 2002 and a
        > 6006. I would like to use these to try astrophotography. What else do
        > I need to be able to use these bodies?

        Not familiar with those cameras - if they take standard Nikon 35mm lenses
        then yes just a standard Nikon T ring will work.

        > 6)I would like to use a finder with this scope. Would you recommend a
        > finderscope or a 1X pointer. If a 1X pointer will be OK, which do you
        > recommend? I have never used one before.

        I like the Rigel 1x with this scope.

        > Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing from you.

        Thank you for your interest.
        Herb York
        Anacortes Telescope
        www.BuyTelescopes.com
        www.AstroMart.com
        360-588-9000
        800-850-2001

      • rhudson12@excite.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
          Thanks for the quick reply, Herb. Does the 2" to 1.25" adapter that
          comes with the scope only work at the 2" focuser or, if I purchased a
          2" diagonal, would the adapter work on the top of the diagonal for
          the lenses? Is their much difference between the regular Televue 2"
          diagonal and the Everbrite? I talked with Pat at Anacortes and he put
          me on the list for one of these scopes. I am looking forward to first
          light.

> [...]
          > > I need an adapter plate and which one should I order?
          >
          > We sell an adapter for $45 that will work on most mounts including a
          > standard tripod.
          >

          > > 5)The outfit comes with a photo adapter. I own a Nikon 2002 and a
          > > 6006. I would like to use these to try astrophotography. What
          else do
          > > I need to be able to use these bodies?
          >
          > Not familiar with those cameras - if they take standard Nikon 35mm
          lenses
          > then yes just a standard Nikon T ring will work.
          >

          > > 6)I would like to use a finder with this scope. Would you
          recommend a
          > > finderscope or a 1X pointer. If a 1X pointer will be OK, which do
          you
          > > recommend? I have never used one before.
          >

          > I like the Rigel 1x with this scope.
          >

          > > Thanks for your reply. I look forward to hearing from you.

        • Herb York
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
            It will work with any AP/TV/Lumicon 2" diagonal.
            Thank you
            Herb
            www.BuyTelescopes.com
            www.AstroMart.com
            Anacortes Telescope and Wild Bird
            (360)588-9000
            (800)850-2001
            > Thanks for the quick reply, Herb. Does the 2" to 1.25" adapter that
            > comes with the scope only work at the 2" focuser or, if I purchased a
            > 2" diagonal, would the adapter work on the top of the diagonal for
            > the lenses? Is their much difference between the regular Televue 2"
            > diagonal and the Everbrite? I talked with Pat at Anacortes and he put
            > me on the list for one of these scopes. I am looking forward to first
            > light.

          • Archer Sully
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
              rhudson12@... wrote:

              Herb already covered most of this, but here's my two cents:

              > 4)I plan to use my Bogen3001 and 3047 pan/tilt head at this time. Will
              > I need an adapter plate and which one should I order?

              I think that the 3001 is not a good match for the Megrez, as even
              I find this 'pod too low, and I'm only 5'6" on a good day! Likewise,
              I'm not sure about the 3047. Rather than the William Optics adapter,
              I think that you would be better served by fabricating your own, as
              the standard plate is quite heavy, and really aimed more at putting
              the scope on a Losmandy or AP, or even a GT-One ;-) mount than a
              photo tripod. A quick trip to a metals dealer and a half-hour
              with a drill press and another 10 minutes with a tap should
              result in a serviceable adapter that weighs 1/4 of what the WO
              adapter does. But let us know how the scope handles on the 3047 as
              I have to make a decision about how to mount the Megrez for an
              upcoming adventure!

              > 5)The outfit comes with a photo adapter. I own a Nikon 2002 and a
              > 6006. I would like to use these to try astrophotography. What else do
              > I need to be able to use these bodies?

              Err... I believe that both those bodies need the battery to keep
              the shutter open. Get a used all-manual model off of Ebay instead.

              > 6)I would like to use a finder with this scope. Would you recommend a
              > finderscope or a 1X pointer. If a 1X pointer will be OK, which do you
              > recommend? I have never used one before.

              The QuickFinder is a good match for this scope, but here's what I
              did. I took a Telrad base, drilled a hole in the center and attached
              to the top of one of the tube rings with one of the supplied cap head
              screws. Works great, and even looks like its supposed to be there.
              I personally prefer the Telrad to the Quickfinder, but that's personal
              preference. The QF is quite a bit lighter, but I find it harder to
              look through.

              A magnifying finder isn't necessary with a Megrez 80, just use a
              low power EP.

              Archer Sully
              Boulder, CO
            • rhudson12@excite.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
                Thanks, Archer.
                The 3047 is really a photo head with seperate lock controls for up
                and down and left and right movement. It is fairly large and does not
                have a fluid head. However, I am used to panning with it and I
                thought I would give it a try initially. I know what you mean about
                the 3001. I hope the head brings the scope up high enough, but I
                think you're right, I'll get tired of it quickly. I have a machinist
                friend that would probably make an aluminum adapter fairly easily.
                Good suggestion.

                Is the concern with the cameras having batteries the life expectency
                of the batteries or just the fact they might fail and allow the
                shutter to close? I was hoping to pick up an OM-1 at some point.
                Mirror lockup should help tremendously with astrophotography.

                I'm glad to hear that I should be able to mount a Telrad or RQF on
                the tube rings. This is what I was hoping for. I will try to look at
                both in person before I make a decision.

                I think I read that you were going to see an eclipse. That should be
                alot of fun. You will have to let use know how it goes. I don't know
                if you have a solar filter, yet. I got one for Christmas from
                Thousand oaks and I really like it.

                Thanks for the two cents. Give us another report on the 80 when you
                have a chance.