RE: [William-Optics] Re: Moon Mosaic

  • Paul Gordon
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2 10:15 PM
      Hi Chris,

      Yes I noticed that and looked at the 500 frames for that bit again.
      It looks more like a seeing issue for that capture being soft as it was
      fading
      in and out whilst I was capturing that segment like mad :-/

      Regards,

      --
      Paul G
      Paul@...

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2 11:44 PM
        Hi Paul;
        Could you please explain what is a Canon C angle / Viewfinder? Is it
        a Canon accessory? How does it attach and where did you purchase it?
        Thanks for your help- I'd like to use my 300d solely for imaging as I
        just purchased a Pentax K10D DSLR for regular photography. I have
        been looking for a 20DA but the prices people are asking is nuts!
        Burt

        <paul.gordon@...> wrote:

        > Hi Burt,
        >
        > I use the Canon C angle / Viewfinder to focus on a star then goto
        the DSO I
        > want to image.
        > I do use an extender to gain focus.
        >

        > http://www.madpc.net/WO/
        >
        > Works for me..
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > --
        > Paul G
        > Paul@...

        4/1/2007
        > 8:49 PM
        >

        > --
        4/1/2007
        > 8:49 PM

      • havane45
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 3 3:40 AM
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Burt" <hartwigksh@...> wrote:

          > Hi Paul;
          > Could you please explain what is a Canon C angle / Viewfinder? Is it
          > a Canon accessory? How does it attach and where did you purchase it?
          > Thanks for your help- I'd like to use my 300d solely for imaging as I
          > just purchased a Pentax K10D DSLR for regular photography. I have
          > been looking for a 20DA but the prices people are asking is nuts!
          > Burt

          @ Burt :
          http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=4-8-880-7125
          Very expensive ; you may search with the key words and find cheap
          China models.
          Laurent
        • Timm Bottoni
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 3 7:57 AM

            The Canon Brand one is sort of expensive...
            http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Angle-Finder-EOS-Cameras/dp/B00004WCEY

            You can find aftermarket ones on EBAY - do a search on "Angle Finder
            EOS" and you will see what is out there. You might find these
            aftermarket ones in other places as well. I have no idea how the
            quality of any of these compares to others, so "buyer beware".

            Timm

            Date:
            > > 4/1/2007
            > > > 8:49 PM
            > > >

            > > www.william-optics.com Yahoo! Groups
            > Links
            > >

            > > --
            > 4/1/2007
            > > 8:49 PM
            > >

            > > --
            > 4/1/2007
            > > 8:49 PM

          • Paul Gordon
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 3 2:07 PM

              No there not cheap But it's very good for finding focus on a star!

              The Cheapest I have seen in the UK £108: -
              http://canon.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp?pname=/moreinfo.asp?id=2680

              and

              $179
              http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=CAFAC&is=REG&Q=
              &O=productlist&sku=183200

              Regards,

              --
              Paul G
              Paul@...

              Date:
              > > 4/1/2007
              > > > 8:49 PM
              > > >

              > > www.william-optics.com Yahoo! Groups
              > Links
              > >

              > > --
              > 4/1/2007
              > > 8:49 PM
              > >

              > > --
              > 4/1/2007
              > > 8:49 PM

              12:48 PM
            • havane45
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 3 5:54 PM
                wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > No there not cheap But it's very good for finding focus on a star!
                >
                > The Cheapest I have seen in the UK £108: -
                > http://canon.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp?pname=/moreinfo.asp?id=2680
                >
                > and
                >
                > $179

                http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=CAFAC&is=REG&Q=
                > &O=productlist&sku=183200
                >
                > Regards,

                Hi,

                I already saw made in china clones at around $40 ; I am afraid as we
                usually get what we pay for....

                Laurent
              • havane45
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 3 6:48 PM
                  Here is an exemple (37 euros)
                  http://cgi.ebay.fr/NEW-1-2X-Angle-Finder-Canon-Nikon-Minolta-Leica-C-DR-6_W0QQitemZ7552942719QQcategoryZ11381QQcmdZViewItem
                  You may find a lot with a google search.

                  Laurent

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "havane45" <havane45@...> wrote:

                  > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gordon" <paul.gordon@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > No there not cheap But it's very good for finding focus on a star!
                  > >
                  > > The Cheapest I have seen in the UK £108: -
                  > > http://canon.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp?pname=/moreinfo.asp?id=2680
                  > >
                  > > and
                  > >
                  > > $179

                  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=CAFAC&is=REG&Q=
                  > > &O=productlist&sku=183200
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  >
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I already saw made in china clones at around $40 ; I am afraid as we
                  > usually get what we pay for....
                  >
                  > Laurent

                • Burt
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 3 8:58 PM
                    Laurent and Paul;
                    Thank you for your help, I will try to find one... As you say, you
                    get what you pay for so I will avoid Chinese clones.. But let me say
                    even the chinese are making better products!For example look at the
                    synta 80 and 100ED Apos! To bad they still don't come close quality
                    wise as WO!(Although they do use FPL53 glass)
                    Burt

                    wrote:

                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gordon" <paul.gordon@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > No there not cheap But it's very good for finding focus on a star!
                    > >
                    > > The Cheapest I have seen in the UK £108: -
                    > > http://canon.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp?pname=/moreinfo.asp?id=2680
                    > >
                    > > and
                    > >
                    > > $179
                    > >
                    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?
                    A=details&kw=CAFAC&is=REG&Q=
                    > > &O=productlist&sku=183200
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    >
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I already saw made in china clones at around $40 ; I am afraid as we
                    > usually get what we pay for....
                    >
                    > Laurent

                  • Paul Gordon
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 4 12:05 AM
                      Hi Burt,

                      No problem..

                      I have owned a 100ED which is a really good scope optically.

                      In fact I have sold / Traded my WO Megrez 110 and my Skywatcher 80ED to get
                      3 scopes..

                      1/ William Optics Megrez 90 (Wide field)
                      2/ William Optics ZS66 SD (portable Hope to take this to Italy with me :-))
                      3/ Skywatcher 100ED with William Optics Focuser (Planets Moon and smaller
                      DSO's)

                      I intend to mount the Megrez 90 with the 100ED on my Skyscan HEQ5 mount.
                      (I'm going to use the 100ED for guiding, The planets and moon)

                      I have seen a new Skywatcher scope arrive on the seen which seems a lot like
                      a William Optics
                      scope re-badged called a Skywatcher Equinox-80 Pro Fluorite ED APO
                      Refractor.
                      http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=7

                      I'm not sure if William has assisted with their design or they have 'ahem'
                      pinched it.

                      Regards,

                      --
                      Paul G
                      Paul@...

                      {SNIP}

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 4 6:52 AM

                        Here is a link to a page talking about it from Mike Covington as well.

                        http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/EosNotes.html

                        Timm

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Burt" <hartwigksh@...> wrote:

                        > Laurent and Paul;
                        > Thank you for your help, I will try to find one... As you say, you
                        > get what you pay for so I will avoid Chinese clones.. But let me
                        say
                        > even the chinese are making better products!For example look at the
                        > synta 80 and 100ED Apos! To bad they still don't come close quality
                        > wise as WO!(Although they do use FPL53 glass)
                        > Burt
                        >

                        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "havane45" <havane45@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gordon"
                        <paul.gordon@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi,
                        > > >
                        > > > No there not cheap But it's very good for finding focus on a
                        star!

                        > > > The Cheapest I have seen in the UK £108: -
                        > > > http://canon.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp?pname=/moreinfo.asp?
                        id=2680

                        > > > and
                        > > >
                        > > > $179
                        > > >
                        > > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?
                        > A=details&kw=CAFAC&is=REG&Q=
                        > > > &O=productlist&sku=183200
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards,
                        > >
                        > > Hi,
                        > >
                        > > I already saw made in china clones at around $40 ; I am afraid as
                        we
                        > > usually get what we pay for....
                        > >
                        > > Laurent

                      • williamopticsmarketing
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 4 11:50 PM
                          If I tell you I use FPL-51 or FPL-53, can you tell the difference?
                          It often goes down to TRUST. We were in the past accused of abusing
                          this trust, we dared anyone to bring any of our lenses to a lab and
                          prove us wrong... A company is the GUARANTOR of the products it sells.
                          Rather than focusing always on" Made in... Made in...", like some
                          companies do in order to sell better to people who cannot think
                          articulately, let's try to focus on "Made by". What do you all think?

                          Here's my thoughts.

                          I am Italian, "Made in Italy" is a super-strong selling point. BUT as
                          pointed out recently by a famous fashion group, the important thing
                          behind made in Italy is the COMPANY that designed, produced or had the
                          product produced,Q.C., etc. for their customers. NOT where the actual
                          facilities are. What I am saying is: too easy to buy parts from East
                          Asia or wherever, assemble in the USA and put Made in the USA (quite
                          possible from a legal point of view, it all goes down to the percentage
                          of labour and added value etc...), and then say, look this is made in
                          the USA, therefore it is better. AS IF! Made in the USA? So what? Do
                          you think you actually "help" your country by buying made in Usa? think
                          better, study economics too. It is NOT as easy as that, as many more
                          authoritative people than me can prove.
                          Some Made in USA is pure trash, some Made in China is great. Ditto
                          about Made in Italy or Made in Japan, or wherever...

                          To go back to the astronomy field, when you buy William Optics, please
                          stop thinking about what glass is inside, stop thinking it is Made in
                          Taiwan (so what? We are the world leaders in technology: 80% of the
                          high tech in your house is made here).
                          Think, what does this product mean? This product is a William Optics
                          BRAND product, there is some research behind, some Q.C. (I promise you
                          we are working hard to improve that), there is a beautifully made
                          product that delivers what it says at a price that you can afford,
                          there are people who care about you end-users, there is an efficient
                          customer service and warranty policy..
                          You want to buy other stuff? Be my guest! William Optics is not the
                          only option, nor necessarily the best FOR YOU. Just know that William
                          Optics is a responsible company, at the leading edge of the industry I
                          dare say, with NEW ideas, new marketing techniques, strong and reliable
                          partners, great selected dealers, fairly priced nice products,
                          attentive to what goes on in society (see the ZenithStar Patriot
                          Initiative), in the astro community (see the recent trend about Patrick
                          Moore and William Optics' donation), with some innovative products you
                          can see at NEAF, with people who care first of all.

                          We are in this business to suceed and offering some of the finest
                          equipment to you at a price you are WILLING to pay, remaining
                          profitable of course. We are here to learn and improve, to compete and
                          perhpas go out of business if the market will punish you (so far so
                          good!). But in a professional, modern way. In a fair and responsible
                          way. Proud of what we are and trying to do better with our limited
                          resources. We are not smug, we never suggest we are the best in the
                          world in this field. Snobbery or world records, we gladly leave these
                          to others.

                          Sorry I drifted off, just some thoughts from within William Optics as a
                          member of this team.

                          What do YOU think?

                          As to ourselves, we let people reply with the purchasing choices, that
                          speaks tons more than words. Nonetheless please feel free to contradict
                          me or shoot at me: we treasue your opinions and articulated criticisms.

                          Daniel
                        • Paul Gordon
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 5 12:53 PM
                            Hi Daniel,

                            I have to say I have not been disappointed with any of the William Optics
                            Scopes
                            I have owned.. The build quality is second to none. The Lenses are great.
                            And I will shortly be on my 4th scope !!

                            I have since changed my Megrez 110 for a Megrez 90 & soon to have ZS66 SD
                            the reason for this was simply I wanted a longer focal length refractor so
                            have brought
                            a Skywatcher 100ED. As discussed with William and yourself I would love to
                            see a longer
                            focal length WO scope but fully understand you are concentrating on the
                            shorter focal length
                            scopes. With this in mind I was able to trade / Sell my Megrez 110 for a
                            Megrez 90 and have
                            enough cash to buy a second hand Skywatcher 100ED. This allowed me to remain
                            with William Optics
                            for my short focal length scopes all be it a slightly smaller aperture.

                            The 100ED allowed me to produce these images of Saturn: -

                            http://www.madpc.net/Toucam/2007/Saturn/Saturn-100ED-04-04-07b-sml.jpg

                            100ED with 4x Barlow & Extender tube - Philips Toucam
                            http://www.madpc.net/Toucam/2007/Saturn/Saturn-100ED-04-04-07a.jpg

                            The Megrez 110 with 4x Barlow & Extender tube - Philips Toucam
                            http://www.madpc.net/WO/M110/Sat/sat-09-03-07b.jpg

                            Where as the William Optics scopes have given me some great Wide field
                            images.

                            Megrez 110
                            http://www.madpc.net/WO/M110/Nebula/Flame-HorseHead/Flame-Horse-14-02-07d2.j
                            pg

                            http://www.madpc.net/WO/M110/Nebula/Rosetta/rosetta-14-02-07b.jpg

                            ZS66 SD
                            http://www.madpc.net/WO/M45-26-10-2006PG-D.jpg

                            http://www.madpc.net/WO/M31-26-09-06-Cropped.jpg

                            I will be a William Optics fan for some time to come I feel :-))

                            --
                            Paul G
                            Paul@...

                            If I tell you I use FPL-51 or FPL-53, can you tell the difference?
                            It often goes down to TRUST. We were in the past accused of abusing this
                            trust, we dared anyone to bring any of our lenses to a lab and prove us
                            wrong... A company is the GUARANTOR of the products it sells.
                            Rather than focusing always on" Made in... Made in...", like some companies
                            do in order to sell better to people who cannot think articulately, let's
                            try to focus on "Made by". What do you all think?

                            Here's my thoughts.

                            [Snip]

                            Sorry I drifted off, just some thoughts from within William Optics as a
                            member of this team.

                            What do YOU think?

                            As to ourselves, we let people reply with the purchasing choices, that
                            speaks tons more than words. Nonetheless please feel free to contradict me
                            or shoot at me: we treasue your opinions and articulated criticisms.

                            Daniel

                            1:09 PM
                          • glen6515
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 5 3:28 PM
                              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
                              <williamopticsmarketing@...> wrote:
                              Daniel,
                              I have to agree with what you are saying. I am in retail myself. I do own quite a lot of WO
                              equipment.
                              Megrez 90
                              Full set of UWANS
                              EZ Touch mount and tripod
                              Photo adapter
                              2'' Dielectric diagonal
                              2'' Carbon diagonal
                              Vixen Plate
                              Combo plate (ready for my next scope)

                              I have only had 1 bad piece of equipment and that was a Megrez 110 and it was terrible. I
                              think it slipped through somehow. People must remember that 90% of QC does not cost
                              much, the last 10% costs a small fortune.

                              Glen.

                            • Burt
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 5 10:58 PM
                                Whether we can tell the difference or not is not the question..What
                                we expect and demand as consumers is the truth, not false
                                advertising. When one makes a claim, we as consumers should'nt have
                                to question the intregity of the company we are purchasing from. This
                                is based on trust and reputation of the company and ultimately
                                whether we will come back and purchase in the future. Just my
                                thoughts..Remember the old saying-once bitten, twice shy!
                                Burt

                              • Scott Walker
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 6 10:11 AM
                                  Paul

                                  Very nice images of Saturn. I am a little confused though. You should have
                                  been able to get a better image of Saturn with the WO 110 than the 100ED if
                                  both were near their design limits. To get the full benific of the WO110 you
                                  would need to perhaps use more magnification. Some barlow system degrade
                                  when one trys to increase the magnification. For high magnification work I
                                  have been happy with the TV x5 power mate. I have also used afocal
                                  technquics with a point and shoot camera. It looks like you have a system
                                  that works for you so thats great. I just thought I we add my 2 cents.

                                  Scott Walker
                                  > I have to say I have not been disappointed with any of the William Optics
                                  > Scopes
                                  > I have owned.. The build quality is second to none. The Lenses are great.
                                  > And I will shortly be on my 4th scope !!
                                  >
                                  > I have since changed my Megrez 110 for a Megrez 90 & soon to have ZS66 SD
                                  > the reason for this was simply I wanted a longer focal length refractor so
                                  > have brought
                                  > a Skywatcher 100ED. As discussed with William and yourself I would love to
                                  > see a longer
                                  > focal length WO scope but fully understand you are concentrating on the
                                  > shorter focal length
                                  > scopes. With this in mind I was able to trade / Sell my Megrez 110 for a
                                  > Megrez 90 and have
                                  > enough cash to buy a second hand Skywatcher 100ED. This allowed me to
                                  > remain
                                  > with William Optics
                                  > for my short focal length scopes all be it a slightly smaller aperture.
                                  >
                                  > The 100ED allowed me to produce these images of Saturn: -
                                  >
                                  > http://www.madpc.net/Toucam/2007/Saturn/Saturn-100ED-04-04-07b-sml.jpg
                                  >
                                  > 100ED with 4x Barlow & Extender tube - Philips Toucam
                                  > http://www.madpc.net/Toucam/2007/Saturn/Saturn-100ED-04-04-07a.jpg
                                  >
                                  > The Megrez 110 with 4x Barlow & Extender tube - Philips Toucam
                                  > http://www.madpc.net/WO/M110/Sat/sat-09-03-07b.jpg
                                  >
                                  > Where as the William Optics scopes have given me some great Wide field
                                  > images.
                                  >
                                  > Megrez 110
                                  > http://www.madpc.net/WO/M110/Nebula/Flame-HorseHead/Flame-Horse-14-02-07d2.j
                                  > pg
                                  >
                                  > http://www.madpc.net/WO/M110/Nebula/Rosetta/rosetta-14-02-07b.jpg
                                  >
                                  > ZS66 SD
                                  > http://www.madpc.net/WO/M45-26-10-2006PG-D.jpg
                                  >
                                  > http://www.madpc.net/WO/M31-26-09-06-Cropped.jpg
                                  >
                                  > I will be a William Optics fan for some time to come I feel :-))
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  > Paul G
                                  > Paul@...

                                • Paul Gordon
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 6 12:11 PM
                                    Hi Scott,

                                    To be fair the 100ED has a head start as it is F9 were as the Megrez 110 is
                                    F5.9 so the 100ED
                                    is 1.5 times the focal length of the Megrez 110.

                                    a 4x Barlow gives F36 with the 100ED, the Megrez 110 at 4x would be F23.6
                                    5x would still fall short at
                                    F29.5 and 6x would give F35.4 this would then produce an image close to the
                                    size of the 100ED however at this power it would show poor colour
                                    correction. I attempted to do this with a 4x Barlow and a tube extender with
                                    the Megrez 110 and the image was starting to show a blue cast. To be fair to
                                    the Megrez 110 it is not designed for this kind of magnification!

                                    Also I think the 100ED uses the (FPL53) Glass..
                                    I'm not sure if the Megrez 110 uses the same FPL53 or FPL-51 glass..

                                    The 100ED I have has a very nice William Optics focuser plus I took a very
                                    nice Megrez 90
                                    in part exchange for my Megrez 110 and I'm further purchasing another ZS66
                                    SD as a holiday / portable scope.

                                    Regards,

                                    www.william-optics.com
                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    3:33 PM
                                  • Scott Walker
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 6 6:05 PM
                                      Paul

                                      I am sorry, I see where I went wrong. I thought you had the WO110 triplet.
                                      The triplet being f/7 and a triplet, should be able to keep up with the F/9
                                      100ed, but it is understandable that the Megrez 110 doublet at f/5.9 may
                                      not. F/5.9 is pretty fast for a 110 doublet. Sorry about the confusion.

                                      Scott Walker
                                      > To be fair the 100ED has a head start as it is F9 were as the Megrez 110
                                      > is
                                      > F5.9 so the 100ED
                                      > is 1.5 times the focal length of the Megrez 110.
                                      >
                                      > a 4x Barlow gives F36 with the 100ED, the Megrez 110 at 4x would be F23.6
                                      > 5x would still fall short at
                                      > F29.5 and 6x would give F35.4 this would then produce an image close to
                                      > the
                                      > size of the 100ED however at this power it would show poor colour
                                      > correction. I attempted to do this with a 4x Barlow and a tube extender
                                      > with
                                      > the Megrez 110 and the image was starting to show a blue cast. To be fair
                                      > the Megrez 110 it is not designed for this kind of magnification!
                                      >
                                      > Also I think the 100ED uses the (FPL53) Glass..
                                      > I'm not sure if the Megrez 110 uses the same FPL53 or FPL-51 glass..
                                      >
                                      > The 100ED I have has a very nice William Optics focuser plus I took a very
                                      > nice Megrez 90
                                      > in part exchange for my Megrez 110 and I'm further purchasing another ZS66
                                      > SD as a holiday / portable scope.
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > --
                                      > Paul G
                                      > Paul@...

                                    • Burt
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 6 8:14 PM
                                        To all;
                                        My apologies to both the group and william optics. In all fairness, I
                                        did not mean to say WO is involved in false advertising.. quite
                                        contrary, they have always been upfront and totally honest with me.
                                        As far as I'm concerned. I own four of their scopes and many
                                        accesories and up until now, I have never had a concern with their
                                        products and/or quality. Obviously, as any new company they have
                                        their growing glitches but up to now they have strived to make their
                                        consumers happy.. They have always ensured that their customers are
                                        well taken care of. I for one, will not hesitate to continue to make
                                        them my manufacture of choice.
                                        Burt

                                      • Paul Gordon
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 6 11:31 PM
                                          Hi Scott,
                                          The Triplet is indeed a very very nice scope as is the Megrez 110 doublet
                                          and as you say the double will
                                          virtually keep up as regards to focal length and prob better optically!

                                          To be fair I haven't tried the Megrez 90 on planets fully yet this is F6.9
                                          so does have a better focal
                                          length if not the aperture.

                                          The great thing about the M110 F5.9 is the speed of the optics which allowed
                                          me to capture the horse head
                                          & Flame nebulas I have never been able to do a decent capture of these until
                                          I got the M110 F5.9 :-)

                                          Regards,

                                          www.william-optics.com
                                          Yahoo! Groups Links