Re: First clear night with new ZS80FD.......PLEASE HELP!

  • Frank R Uroda
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
      Timm,
      I figured out the need for the 2" diagonal just moments after I
      posted the question. All is well on the visual front now.
      So now I need an extention for my extention to use my SBIG camera?
      Would it be the same photographic adapter that you use?
      ---Frank

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
      <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

      > Hi Frank,
      >
      > The 80FD is designed to come to focus using the 2" extension and a
      2"
      > diagonal. I am guessing that you are not using a 2" diagonal?
      > Please let us know.
      >
      > Without a 2" diagonal, you will need more extension, but a 1.25"
      > diagonal will also work, but the 2" is recommended.
      >
      > When I shoot pictures with my Megrez 80FD, I use the WO 2"
      extension,
      > then the WO 2" photo adapter, which is designed to take the place
      and
      > distance of the diagonal, and I attach my Canon 20D to the photo
      > adapter, along with a T-Ring, and it works great.
      >
      > Does that help explain what will work?
      >
      > Timm
      >
      > PS - if you using the optional field flattener, which I don't
      have,
      > then the requirements might be different, I will ask others to
      > explain who have that.
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Uroda" <FrankU@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I got my new (to me) ZS80mmFD over a week ago and of course,
      it's
      > been
      > > cloudy ever since! I spent that time making a mount to piggyback
      > the
      > > 80 on my C-11.
      > > Well tonight the skies are clear. I aimed the rig at some bright
      > stars
      > > to attempt focus. After about 10 minutes of not being able to
      focus
      > > any of my lenses with the ZS80, I pulled the EP out of the
      focuser
      > > while looking through it. To my dismay, I've discovered that my
      EPs
      > > all focus way beyond the limit of the focus travel even with the
      2"
      > > extender in place!!! In fact, the EP barrel is about 2" beyond
      the
      > 2"
      > > extention tube with the focuser fully extended before focus is
      > > achieved. What gives?
      > > My intentions were to use the 80 for wide field imaging and also
      > some
      > > visual observing. How am I supposed to achieve focus with my
      ST2k
      > w/
      > > CFW-8 imager using this scope?
      > > ---Frank

    • havane45
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Uroda" <FrankU@...> wrote:

        > Timm,
        > I figured out the need for the 2" diagonal just moments after I
        > posted the question. All is well on the visual front now.
        > So now I need an extention for my extention to use my SBIG camera?
        > Would it be the same photographic adapter that you use?
        > ---Frank

        Hi Frank,
        The following datas are for a ZS 110 but it is close to the ZS80 ; I
        have a ZS80FD too and use 5" extension or a WO 2" diagonal with a Sbig
        2000xcm.
        The 2" diagonal ads around 4" light path.
        It is the price to pay to have a bino friend scope working on a 1.25"
        diagonal ; you will notice that it is the same for a recent televue
        scope wich is provided with a 5" extension.

        @ Tim :
        If I got time, I shall make the same for the ZS80FD for all
        accessories and may be we could keep it in the files area.

        With the zs110 :

        3" ext. tube + 2" WO diag + LV15 = crayford scale at 25mm
        2" ext. tube + 2" WO diag + LV15 = crayford scale at 51mm (obviously)

        2" ext. tube + eos300 = can't reach focus
        3" ext. tube + eos300 = can't reach focus
        3" ext. tube + 2" ext. tube + eos300 = scale at 30mm

        2" ext. tube + 1.25 WO diag + LV15 = scale at 72mm
        3" ext. tube + 1.25 WO diag + LV15 = scale at 47mm (obviously)
        (too close to the end wich is about 75mm for some accessories)
        2" ext. tube + 1.25 celestron diag + LV15 = can't reach focus
        3" ext. tube + 1.25 celestron diag + LV15 = scale at 66mm

        Notice that if using a dslr, you must use at least two 2" extension tubes.
        If using a WO 2" diag + dslr, no extension tube is needed.

        Using a barlow makes all this much more complicated and depends on
        device and brands ... This is an other story ...

        My conclusion is that you don't need just one extension tube but a set
        of at least two 2" ext. tubes and I prefer a 3" tube + a 2" one.

        Laurent
      • Timm Bottoni
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hi Laurent,

          Great info! This can all be put in a file and if you like you can
          upload it, or I can.

          Yes, with the DSLR, the spacing requirement is different, due to the
          fact that the CCD is located back a bit, and then you have the T-
          Ring, and when using the WO 2" Photo Adapter, I only need the one 2"
          WO extension to make it work.

          With the SBIG camera or others, I think you will need that second
          extension due to the design, as you have said.

          I wish WO made an extension just for that purpose, that was one piece
          for the folks that need it.

          Does anyone have information on camera setups and spacing if the
          WO .8X reducer flattener is used?

          Also, I have the WO 2" barlow, and yes, that really complicates it,
          and I have to see if I can figure out the best way to get it to work
          one of these days, but since I don't have a mount for
          astrophotography, I haven't really spent any time trying to make it
          work.

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "havane45" <havane45@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Uroda" <FrankU@>
          wrote:

          > > Timm,
          > > I figured out the need for the 2" diagonal just moments after I
          > > posted the question. All is well on the visual front now.
          > > So now I need an extention for my extention to use my SBIG
          camera?
          > > Would it be the same photographic adapter that you use?
          > > ---Frank
          > >

          > Hi Frank,
          > The following datas are for a ZS 110 but it is close to the ZS80 ; I
          > have a ZS80FD too and use 5" extension or a WO 2" diagonal with a
          Sbig
          > 2000xcm.
          > The 2" diagonal ads around 4" light path.
          > It is the price to pay to have a bino friend scope working on a
          1.25"
          > diagonal ; you will notice that it is the same for a recent televue
          > scope wich is provided with a 5" extension.
          >
          > @ Tim :
          > If I got time, I shall make the same for the ZS80FD for all
          > accessories and may be we could keep it in the files area.
          >
          > With the zs110 :
          >
          > 3" ext. tube + 2" WO diag + LV15 = crayford scale at 25mm
          > 2" ext. tube + 2" WO diag + LV15 = crayford scale at 51mm
          (obviously)

          > 2" ext. tube + eos300 = can't reach focus
          > 3" ext. tube + eos300 = can't reach focus
          > 3" ext. tube + 2" ext. tube + eos300 = scale at 30mm
          >
          > 2" ext. tube + 1.25 WO diag + LV15 = scale at 72mm
          > 3" ext. tube + 1.25 WO diag + LV15 = scale at 47mm (obviously)
          > (too close to the end wich is about 75mm for some accessories)
          > 2" ext. tube + 1.25 celestron diag + LV15 = can't reach focus
          > 3" ext. tube + 1.25 celestron diag + LV15 = scale at 66mm
          >
          > Notice that if using a dslr, you must use at least two 2" extension
          tubes.
          > If using a WO 2" diag + dslr, no extension tube is needed.
          >
          > Using a barlow makes all this much more complicated and depends on
          > device and brands ... This is an other story ...
          >
          > My conclusion is that you don't need just one extension tube but a
          set
          > of at least two 2" ext. tubes and I prefer a 3" tube + a 2" one.
          >
          > Laurent

        • Frank Rocketman Uroda
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
            Thanks for the great info. I think I'll make a custom, one piece, loooooooooooooooong, camera adapter. I can't imagine how a bunch of sections held together with compression rings could ever stay straight while holding my imager.
            I wonder how difficult it would be to swap out a longer, custom made body for the scope itself? That would be the best solution.

            ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Rocketman Uroda"
              <FrankU@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the great info. I think I'll make a custom, one piece,
              loooooooooooooooong, camera adapter. I can't imagine how a bunch of
              sections held together with compression rings could ever stay straight
              while holding my imager.
              > I wonder how difficult it would be to swap out a longer, custom made
              body for the scope itself? That would be the best solution.

              > ---Frank Rocketman Uroda

              Hi Frank,

              you can make a stiffy custom 5" extender if buying a 3" and a 2" ;
              then, if you are handy, you add two 4 or 5 mm threads (depending on
              the size of the original screw) and you will get 3 screws at 120° ;
              you may use small screws with allen hex head, they are quite invisible
              and you make this way a nice and stiffy 5" extender.
              See here how Televue did it :
              http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=283

              A longer custom made body is not the solution ; with a short scope
              needing extension tubes :
              - you can use any bino with a diagonal
              - you can use any astro-camera / DSLR
              - you can use any device needing long back-focus
              - you get a light and highly transportable scope

              WO !!! WHERE ARE YOU ???
              COULD YOU PROVIDE A 5" EXTENDER WITH 2 120° SCREWS ?

              Laurent
            • Scott Walker
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
                You need a diaganial in addition to the 2 inch extension to come to focus with a eyepiece.

                Scott Walker