Re:Need Help Adapting Megrez 90 to Vixen Super Polaris Mount

  • Mike & Vanna
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello:  You should do like I did with my Super Polaris clone.  I adapted my mount to accept Vixen style mount rails.  I then bought a rail from Scope Stuff that had numerious holes in it so I could space the rings as needed.  Mike Traub
    • Mike O'Shaughnessy
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "robmarroaxp" <robmarroaxp@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        >
        > My new Megrez 90 sits patiently in its case, waiting to see first
        > light. My dilemma is that I want the scope to be able to
        > use WO mounting rings attached to my Vixen Super Polaris GEM for ease
        > of use.

        Rob - I'm using the WO Vixen-style dovetail to mount my M90 on a
        Sphinx. It works quite well.

        http://www.williamoptics.com/prod_acc/mnt_dovetail/features0.htm

        -- Mike
      • Barry Carter
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
          I am not clear on this Vixen mount. Assuming your mount does not
          have the "typical" Vixen dovetail, you might look into the
          Stellarvue.com Vixen adapter. This will allow your mount to use the
          Vixen dovetail, which should solve your problem. My mount is the
          Vixen GP-DX.

          http://www.barrie-tao.com/wotriplet.html

          Ciao...Barry

          <robmarroaxp@...> wrote:

          > Hi Group,
          >
          > My new Megrez 90 sits patiently in its case, waiting to see first
          > light. My dilemma is that I want the scope to be able to
          > use WO mounting rings attached to my Vixen Super Polaris GEM for
          ease
          > of use. Not quite grab 'n go, but I have the mount sitting covered
          in
          > my garage and want to be able to bring the scope & EPs outside, lock
          > the rings down around the tube and go (allowing for thermal
          > equilibrium). I love older Vixen mounts; they're a steal on
          Astromart
          > when you can get 'em and their quality blows the roof off of the
          > various Chinese CG5 clones right out of the box.
          >
          > Here's the rub: the mounting hole points for the WO rings on the
          Super
          > Polaris are too far apart and this means the rear ring can't close
          > because the built-in Megrez 90 L bracket gets in the way. I
          > determined, after a call to WO, that the WO Universal dovetail plate
          > will not work either, as it's holes on the bottom do not correspond
          > the mounting holes on the Super Polaris.
          >
          > I could attached it via the built-in L-bracket and using the front
          > ring only, with a shim, but this seems to defeat the purpose of the
          > convenience of the WO rings. Any suggestions would be appreciated,
          as
          > my wife and I are DYING to have this puppy see first light, but we
          > also place a premium on ease of use.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Rob

        • Dave Nash
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
            wrote:
            > My new Megrez 90 sits patiently in its case, waiting to see first
            > light. My dilemma is that I want the scope to be able to
            > use WO mounting rings attached to my Vixen Super Polaris GEM for ease
            > of use.

            I used to have an SP, they are great mounts although the lack of a
            dovetail mount can be a pain as you've found out.

            > Here's the rub: the mounting hole points for the WO rings on the Super
            > Polaris are too far apart and this means the rear ring can't close
            > because the built-in Megrez 90 L bracket gets in the way.

            I just had the same problem trying to attach my Megrez 80 super apo to
            a dovetail - the holes are too far apart and the L-bracket gets in the
            way. I could have got a shorter dovetail but that option's not
            available to you. What I did was remove the L-bracket. It takes
            about a minute with the right allen-wrench and then there is space for
            the ring to go on. I assume the Megrez 90 is similar. You can put
            the bolt back in the hole afterwards, and keep the bracket safe.

            Dave
          • Timm Bottoni
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007

              On the Megrez 90 the L-Bracket is built in and not removable like it
              is on our Megrez 80s, but with rings it can be rotated up and out of
              the way to be used for a place to attache the finder bracket the way
              that WO has it pictured on their site here.

              http://www.williamoptics.com/prod_tel/m90apo/features7.htm

              Timm

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Nash" <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "robmarroaxp" <robmarroaxp@>
              > wrote:
              > > My new Megrez 90 sits patiently in its case, waiting to see first
              > > light. My dilemma is that I want the scope to be able to
              > > use WO mounting rings attached to my Vixen Super Polaris GEM for
              ease
              > > of use.
              >
              > I used to have an SP, they are great mounts although the lack of a
              > dovetail mount can be a pain as you've found out.
              >
              > > Here's the rub: the mounting hole points for the WO rings on the
              Super
              > > Polaris are too far apart and this means the rear ring can't close
              > > because the built-in Megrez 90 L bracket gets in the way.
              >
              > I just had the same problem trying to attach my Megrez 80 super apo
              > a dovetail - the holes are too far apart and the L-bracket gets in
              the
              > way. I could have got a shorter dovetail but that option's not
              > available to you. What I did was remove the L-bracket. It takes
              > about a minute with the right allen-wrench and then there is space
              for
              > the ring to go on. I assume the Megrez 90 is similar. You can put
              > the bolt back in the hole afterwards, and keep the bracket safe.
              >
              > Dave

            • Alan
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                Dave...not sure if this is what you mean...but here's a pic with my
                M90 and 66 mounted with rings...you just rotate the L-Bracket and it
                works like a charm. Alan

                Link:

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > On the Megrez 90 the L-Bracket is built in and not removable like it
                > is on our Megrez 80s, but with rings it can be rotated up and out of
                > the way to be used for a place to attache the finder bracket the way
                > that WO has it pictured on their site here.
                >
                > http://www.williamoptics.com/prod_tel/m90apo/features7.htm
                >
                > Timm
                >
                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Nash" <yahoo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "robmarroaxp" <robmarroaxp@>
                > > wrote:
                > > > My new Megrez 90 sits patiently in its case, waiting to see first
                > > > light. My dilemma is that I want the scope to be able to
                > > > use WO mounting rings attached to my Vixen Super Polaris GEM for
                > ease
                > > > of use.
                > >
                > > I used to have an SP, they are great mounts although the lack of a
                > > dovetail mount can be a pain as you've found out.
                > >
                > > > Here's the rub: the mounting hole points for the WO rings on the
                > Super
                > > > Polaris are too far apart and this means the rear ring can't close
                > > > because the built-in Megrez 90 L bracket gets in the way.
                > >
                > > I just had the same problem trying to attach my Megrez 80 super apo
                > > a dovetail - the holes are too far apart and the L-bracket gets in
                > the
                > > way. I could have got a shorter dovetail but that option's not
                > > available to you. What I did was remove the L-bracket. It takes
                > > about a minute with the right allen-wrench and then there is space
                > for
                > > the ring to go on. I assume the Megrez 90 is similar. You can put
                > > the bolt back in the hole afterwards, and keep the bracket safe.
                > >
                > > Dave

              • Michael Tapper
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Alan,

                  Pardon me for jumping in here. I have a similar set-up as you and also rotated the L bracket with the WO 90mm rings.

                  One thing I noticed. You are using both DSI's with a diagonal. I was told (and have seen several posts) not to use the diagonal when imaging. I don't know for sure if this is an issue or not and am using your posting to get clarification from your or others in the group.

                  Hope you don't mind the intrusion.

                  Mike T
                  PS I have a Losmandy GM-8 with the Megrez 90 APO. If the clouds ever clear I even get to try it out.
                • Hans K. Aspenberg
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Further north, the moon will occult Saturn, but this is how it looks
                    from Oslo, Norway through a SZ 80mm ED II:

                    http://www.aspenberg.info/album/album.php?path=Astrobilder&show=sat_moon.jpg

                    Best, Hans
                  • Hans K. Aspenberg
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Sorry about the typo in the title in my original post.

                      ;-)) Hans
                    • greek_1012001
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                        That is a beautiful picture Hans.... Way to go!!!!

                        Excellent Work,
                        Demetry