New member introduction, and need advice on selecting a WO scope

  • rogerharvest
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2007
      Greetings!

      I am getting ready to purchase my first WO refractor, and was hoping
      there was a group to support it. It looks like a good one! I
      currently have an 8" LX90 that I've had for over 5 years now
      (fabulous telescope), and the ubiquitous Short Tube 80mm achromat
      refractor that I've had for 2 years (ok telescope). I had recently
      purchased a Meade ETX-125 to fill my need for a travel scope, and for
      a quick grab-n-go instrument. It has been a really, really bad
      experience, the ETX. Last night I packed it up to return it for good
      (that story will appear on the ETX Astro group soon). So now I'm
      going for claw-hammer reliability and simplicity.

      I am considering a ZenithStar 80mm II ED APO on a Vixen PortaMount.

      I tried searching the group archives for information about this
      model, but apparently the search server is down... Does anyone have
      any recommendations on this model, good or bad, that they would like
      to share? Will I be kicking myself for not getting the more expensive
      fluorite model?

      Thank's for the advice!

      Sincerely,

      Robert in Houston
    • Todd Freund
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2007

        Robert,

         I also own an LX90, previously owned and ETX 125PE that was sold for reasons similar to your own I am sure, and I use the ZS80IIED.  I have frequently, and will continue to recommend the scope with no reservations.  I have a folder in the images section with a lunar and a couple M42’s, and a picture of the ZS80 riding atop the LX90, its called todd’s zs80 or something similar.  I have not met anyone with the fluorite so I can not compare the two, but I could never see kicking my self over buying the ED.  The Vixen Porta would be a nice compliment, but for a bit more the WO easy touch would allow you to do side by side with the 80 achro  which is great if you are trying to show others the night sky.  My ZS80 also has a home on a GEM sitting beside a 90mm longtube achro on a vixen plate.

        Good luck,

        Todd

      • robertnharris1972
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2007
          Thanks Todd! That was exactly what I wanted to hear. I took a look at
          your photos folder - I'm amazed at how deep you got M42 with a
          relatively small number of short exposures. I particularly liked the
          WO sticker on the LX90 fork... if only :-)

          I will be placing my order next week hopefully.

          My preference for the PortaMount is the slow motion controls. Does
          anyone out there with an EasyTouch wish it had slowmo? Or is it not
          that big a deal?

          Thanks again!

          Robert

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Freund" <toddfreund@...>
          wrote:

          > Robert,
          >
          > I also own an LX90, previously owned and ETX 125PE that was sold
          for
          > reasons similar to your own I am sure, and I use the ZS80IIED. I
          have
          > frequently, and will continue to recommend the scope with no
          > reservations. I have a folder in the images section with a lunar
          and a
          > couple M42's, and a picture of the ZS80 riding atop the LX90, its
          called
          > todd's zs80 or something similar. I have not met anyone with the
          > fluorite so I can not compare the two, but I could never see
          kicking my
          > self over buying the ED. The Vixen Porta would be a nice
          compliment,
          > but for a bit more the WO easy touch would allow you to do side by
          side
          > with the 80 achro which is great if you are trying to show others
          the
          > night sky. My ZS80 also has a home on a GEM sitting beside a 90mm
          > longtube achro on a vixen plate.
          >

          > Good luck,
          >

          > Todd

        • Todd Freund
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19, 2007

            I particularly liked the WO sticker on the LX90 fork... if only :-)

            Those were my thoughts exactly when I placed it there.

            Best of luck with your decision,

            Todd

          • Jandorf, Hal (NAVAIR)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19, 2007
              Hi Robert,

              I have a ZenithStar 80ED APO on a Vixen Portamount. After forty years of
              amateur astronomy and a zillion telescopes (20" Dobsonian, 14 SCT,
              8"SCT, 4" Unitron, Brandon 94, Televue Pronto etc.) the ZenithStar 80
              and Portamount combination pleases me the most. I use it the most. As a
              matter of fact, I'll be using it tonight too. Usually, I use it visually
              for any celestial object, but I've had great images of the moon and
              wonderful images of the total solar eclipse last March shipboard. I used
              this set up and the saving grace was the portamount slow motions! It
              allowed me to compensate the ships pitching and yawing motion with the
              slow motion knobs!
              This telescope is a winning combination, both optical, mechanical and
              portable! I will never part with it.

              Good luck
              Hal Jandorf
              Astronomy Instructor
              Moorpark College, CA

              Thanks Todd! That was exactly what I wanted to hear. I took a look at
              your photos folder - I'm amazed at how deep you got M42 with a
              relatively small number of short exposures. I particularly liked the WO
              sticker on the LX90 fork... if only :-)

              I will be placing my order next week hopefully.

              My preference for the PortaMount is the slow motion controls. Does
              anyone out there with an EasyTouch wish it had slowmo? Or is it not that
              big a deal?

              Thanks again!

              Robert

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:William-Optics%40yahoogroups.com> , "Todd Freund"
              <toddfreund@...>
              wrote:

              > Robert,
              >
              > I also own an LX90, previously owned and ETX 125PE that was sold
              for
              > reasons similar to your own I am sure, and I use the ZS80IIED. I
              have
              > frequently, and will continue to recommend the scope with no
              > reservations. I have a folder in the images section with a lunar
              and a
              > couple M42's, and a picture of the ZS80 riding atop the LX90, its
              called
              > todd's zs80 or something similar. I have not met anyone with the
              > fluorite so I can not compare the two, but I could never see
              kicking my
              > self over buying the ED. The Vixen Porta would be a nice
              compliment,
              > but for a bit more the WO easy touch would allow you to do side by
              side
              > with the 80 achro which is great if you are trying to show others
              the
              > night sky. My ZS80 also has a home on a GEM sitting beside a 90mm
              > longtube achro on a vixen plate.
              >

              > Good luck,
              >

              > Todd

            • Robert Harris
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30 1:24 PM
                How soon I forget! Zsolt - I asked the exact same question before I bought the ZS80 ED. Here are the replies that helped me make my decision (thanks again to the original responders).

                Good luck

                wrote:

                Robert,

                > I also own an LX90, previously owned and ETX 125PE that
                was sold
                for
                > reasons similar to your own I am sure, and I use the
                ZS80IIED. I
                have
                > frequently, and will continue to recommend the scope
                with no
                > reservations. I have a folder in the images section with a
                lunar
                and a
                > couple M42's, and a picture of the ZS80 riding atop the
                LX90, its
                called
                > todd's zs80 or something similar. I have not met
                anyone with the
                > fluorite so I can not compare the two, but I could
                never see
                kicking my
                > self over buying the ED. The Vixen Porta would
                be a nice
                compliment,
                > but for a bit more the WO easy touch would
                allow you to do side by
                side
                > with the 80 achro which is great if you
                are trying to show others
                the
                > night sky. My ZS80 also has a home on a
                GEM sitting beside a 90mm
                > longtube achro on a vixen plate.
                >

                > Good luck,

                Todd

              • Szalma Zsolt
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30 3:37 PM
                  Hi Robert,

                  Thank you for your reply! Looks like you really enjoy your Zenithstar 80
                  ED. So do other owners. What made me wonder was a comment on one of the
                  CN forums. A guy said that the ED version was significantly behind the
                  FD in the color department, and that calling it an APO is misleading. It
                  may not be perfectly color-free, but from what you said it must be a
                  really great scope. I'll wait a bit before I order it, maybe someone
                  else wants to comment on these scopes too.

                  Clear Skies,
                  Zsolt Szalma
                  (Hungary)