Questions on GT-One Performance

  • ngc73312001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2002
      Hello:

      I've just started using my GT-One mount. Can anyone answer a couple of
      questions for me??

      1. When tracking, the mount seems to make a noise similar to a cat
      purring ... kind of like 1 - 2 second purrs. Is this the normal sound
      that the mount should make?

      2. I had one instance where the mount stopped slewing, and would not
      continue to move, although I could still hear the motors straining to
      do so ... is this a sign of trouble if it happens once? More than
      once? (Maybe David or William could respond here. Maybe Ray York also
      - It think he has, or had, a GT-One.) Could balancing of the scope
      affect this? I'm currently using a borrowed C-8 until my apo arrives.

      3. Does anyone know how much I'll need in counter-weights (on the
      GT-One shaft) to be able to balance about 31 lbs of equipment,
      eventually? I currently have 15.5 lb and 8.0 lb counterweights.

      Thanks for any input,

      Neil
    • tpiccian
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2002
        I've had the mount simply stop on me on a very rare occasion. I shut
        down and recalibrated and all was well. Make sure you set all the
        settings and save them as Default! You have to hit enter first. Then
        back out.

        When defining other sites, be sure to leave the gear settings as
        default.

        As for counterweights, I only needed one 15.5 lb. weight when using a
        CR-150 6 inch refractor and I think the load was 35 lbs.

        I think you have plenty.

        Make sure you have enough battery power. I use a 90 AH Marine
        battery. Go get the heaviest one you can carry. A 90 will last 4-5
        nights with luck. I usually charge it after 3 nights.

        My current load on the mount now is roughly 70 lbs. I have the HD
        mount btw. It's performing like a champ.

        Tom P.