Re: The 110 & 132mm refractor needs a corrected focal reducer for faster imaging

  • digidodi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi Chris,

      The FLT110 field flattener works well with an EOS 5D full frame, but
      it gives vignetting. Not by the nature of the flattener, but because
      William Optics uses a standard T2 thread on the snooth instead of
      going to wide T rings like Takahashi and Astro-Physics do. I hope they
      will correct this beauty error as soon as possible.

      As for the TOA reducer, I have not yet been able to test this with a
      5D, but with the 20D it is as perfect as can be, and as mentioned it
      works at f5.3, so quite fast. So depends which DSLR you want to get ;)
      If nothing larger than APS format, personally I would get the Tak
      reducer and make an adapter for it, just to get the extra speed needed
      for DSLR photography. Of course I did not test it on the 132mm, but
      since it was originally made for a 130mm f8, and it works very well on
      the 110 f7 too, no reason to believe it wouldn't work. This is, as
      long as WO does not have a high-quality reducer-corrector themselves
      of course.

      Dodi

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Appleton"
      <denturist89@...> wrote:

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "digidodi" <ddierick@> wrote:
      >
      > Hi Dodi
      >

      > Thanks very much for the tip, I appreciate it. I have both the
      > Celestron 6.3 FR/FF & The Sky90 FR/FF. I have the Antares 2" sct to
      > t-thread adapter that will allow my 6.3 to attach at the proper
      > spacing to my True Tech filter wheel which is t - threaded. I think
      > this will work really well with my small 2/3" chip SXV-H9 ccd astro
      > camera, but will be limited if I ever buy a DSLR camera. I tried my
      > SXV-H9 when I used to have the FLT110mm F6.5 and it worked out quite
      > well with vignetting at about 10 to 15% from the edge of the frame.
      > The 132mm is F7 925mm FL a bit slower then the FLT F6.5 715mm FL, so
      > it should work out quite well and reduce the FL by 37%. I do not think
      > that the Sky90 will work out well and I do not even have an adapter to
      > attach it to the 132mm. The 130 TOA/TSA 2.7" sounds like the way to go
      > however, if I do buy a DSLR then I think my best bet is the TMB
      > flattener. I really hope that WO will come out with a top Apo quality
      > FR/FF made for both the 110mm & 132mm to make these scopes faster and
      > have a larger imaging circle??
      >
      > I am also trying to find out the imaging circle of the 132mm without a
      > FR/FF or flattener?
      >
      > Best
      >
      > Chris Appleton
      >

      > > Chris,
      > >
      > > Get a Takahashi TOA/TSA 2.7" reducer. It works perfect at least to APS
      > > size format for which I tried it on the FLT110 and gives f5.3. You
      > > only need someone to make an adapter ring from the 4" WO focuser to
      > > the Tak reducer size. But it is all metric thread.
      > >
      > > Best regards
      > >
      > > Dodi
      > >
      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Appleton"
      > > <denturist89@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Group
      > > >
      > > > Through the recent discussion I thought the TMB was both a FR/FF
      > > > apparently from their WO web site. This has now been changed to
      just a
      > > > FF. With the 132mm at F7 it would be nice if it can be reduced to an
      > > > F5 something in order to make CCD/DSLR exposure times shorter +
      > > > flatten the FOV for the larger chips. What do you guy's think?
      > > >
      > > > Cheers to all!
      > > >
      > > > Chris Appleton

    • Chris Appleton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "digidodi" <ddierick@...> wrote:

        Hi Dodi

        Thanks again for the great suggestions. I heard the WO is supposed to
        be working on a really top quality FR/FF for their larger scopes , I
        will sit back for awhile, wait patiently and see what comes out early
        this year. I sure do hope WO is listening because there is a big
        demand/need for this FR/FF.

        Cheers,

        Chris Appleton