Re: [William-Optics] Flummoxed by SS2K Autoguiding with ST-7

  • Tan Wei Leong
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17 9:27 PM

      I've attached the pin-out diagram of my SS2K to ST7E cable.

      The orientation is with the plug end facing you and connector tab at the
      bottom.

      There is one very easy way to test if you got it correct.

      Make the plug on the SS2K end. For the ST7 end you just do it with the bare
      wire, then by shorting the correct pairs of wires you will see the motor on
      the GT-1 moves.

      You do so by taking off the cover on the mount and then setting the
      "autoguider speed" to 16x.
      With this you should be able to get it right.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 22 10:05 AM
        Nine times out of ten, the problem with home made cables for the st-7
        is that they are too long. Keep them to 3 feet or less and things
        should improve.

        Try increasing the guiding speed to .7 until you're sure you're
        guiding. Then reduce it, increasing integration times slightly if
        necessary to attain proper calibration.

        Also, check your backlash and set your dec and ra to always keep
        positive contact with the worm. Keep your drive slightly off balance
        to either side but not too much to strain the motors.

        Tom Picciani.

        --- In William-Optics@y..., "David Trowbridge" <trowbridge@s...>

      • David Trowbridge
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23 11:36 AM
          Hi Tom,

          Thanks for the suggestions. I've subsequently found that my SkySensor 2000 is defective. When a signal is applied to the Dec-minus terminal on the autoguider input jack, the SkySensor does not respond. It responds normally when the same signal (4 millivolts positive relative to the signal ground) is applied to the Dec-plus, RA-minus and RA-plus terminals. The ST-7 is producing the correct signals.

          Now my problem is how to get my SkySensor replaced.

          David

          wrote:
> [...]
          autoguider cable
          > which are generated when I press the software buttons.
          >
          > I have tried all three protocols (LX200, SkySensor2000,
          Ultima2000), baud
          > rate of 9600. I have tried various settings for AutoGuider Speed,
          such as:
          > ON RA=+9.0 DC=+9.0 (in addition to smaller values such as ON RA=+0.5
          > DC=+0.5). I've found that both RA and DC must have values different
          from
          > zero for the telescope to respond at all; reversing the sign of RA
          or DC
          > reverses the direction of motion. But no matter what settings I
          have used, I
          > have never seen the telescope respond to a press of the S (south)
          button.

          > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what needs to be done to fix

        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23 1:44 PM
            To David or William

            I am seriously considering th FLT110 but only have a GM8 available to mount it at this time.  Would this mount be sufficient  to support it.  It would be replacing a much loved but old C102-SP and the mount support it very well.  I believe I would have to update the tripod to the G11 level, which would not be a problem.  Any suggestions?

            Jim