Re:Megrez 80

  • ckwastro
    Message 1 of 27 , May 10 9:33 AM
      Hi Richard,

      Thanks for the insight, especailly about the undercorrection.

      On the coating, it's difficult to tell for sure, but I don't think
      it's flaking off. The specks where the coating appears to missing
      are not jagged around the boundary like you would expect from random
      flaking. It looks more like an "overspray" from some liquid that got
      on the lenses, and the spots are fairly uniform in size and circular
      in shape.

      Yes, the objective is an air-spaced doublet, and there are definitely
      spots on the inside sections of the lenses. It definitely seems like
      the lenses were removed from the cell at some point.

      I was rather alarmed when I first saw this, however as I stated, the
      scope still performs well. As good or better than most Pronto's I've
      used, so as long as everything stays as it is now, I think I'll be
      O.K.

      David is checking into the alignment for me now to see if there's any
      way to get it right on without sending it back to WYO.

      Take care,

      Kerry

      --- In William-Optics@y..., Richard Chalfan <rchalfan@y...> wrote:
      > Kerry,
      >
      > With the extensive info you have posted here, I
      > have a question and a thought or two.
      >
      > Are the "anomalies" areas where the coating is
      > missing, flaking, or just a different color but
      > still coated? The first or third are probably
      > stable and unnoticeable at the eyepiece. I could
      > worry about the second.
      >
      > They are on the inside too, you mean between the
      > elements? I assume the Megrez is air-spaced. If
      > not - oops!>
      > Richard

      > Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th!
      > http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • poziovahim2001
      Message 2 of 27 , May 13 3:24 PM
        I'm not real hip on refractors but when these little scopes first
        came out last year, some of them had pinched optics! Contact
        Anacortes and I'm sure they can help! buen cielo, Dan