Quicker setup suggestions?

  • tpiccian
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002
      I have the GT1-HD and I do love it. It's solid and accurate.

      The only issue I really have is bolting the legs to the pier. There's
      nothing really wrong with the way it's done now but it takes a little
      bit of time to put 12 bolts in and tighten them securely.

      I was thinking of a different design, perhaps a vertical dovetail
      with some sort of quick connect lever on the legs that pull
      everything tight. I don't know if it's even possible since there's so
      little room around the legs to work.

      The problem is that by the time I've put in a dozen bolts, kneeling
      and crawling and stooping over, my back is sore and I'm tired. Then I
      still have to put the head on, the weight bar and weights, the tube,
      etc. If I'm going to a star party that is running 2 or 3 nights it's
      worth it. But for a same night assembly and takedown it gets to be a
      bit too much if I'm going to a remote site for the evening.

      Any ideas?

      Tom Picciani.
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002
        Please, please, please share any ideas.  I have battled the same problem since August and am desperate for a solution.

        Jimmy bent kneeeeees

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002
            For visual use, I mount my HD on the wood tripod sold with the
            standard GT-1. It works very well.

            For precision work (photography especially) there might be issues
            with soil stability etc. But I am quite happy with it for visual
            use.

            Richard

            > Please, please, please share any ideas. I have battled the same
            > problem
            > since August and am desperate for a solution.
            >
            > Jimmy bent kneeeeees

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Rob La Pointe
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002