Re: PLEASE More Megrez 90 Reviews!

  • rickfinder
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
      I have one for 1 week and only got chance to use it once Monday night
      under the stars (and moon), so take a big grain of salt.

      Seeing was very bad, so can't really do meaningful star test.
      Temperature was falling from 50F to 35F in about 2 hours. Took the
      scope out from 70F room, I can see the scope was trying to catch up
      with the temperature the first 30 minutes. After that, it was fine.

      Compare to the Synta 80ED, it is definitely brighter. When viewing
      M15, the outer part can be resolved into stars. this is pretty good
      consider that M15 only about 20 degrees from the 9 days moon.
      Sharpness is equal or better than ED80. Epsilon lyra can be barely
      split at 70x, at 88x it is a clean split with dark line in between.
      Moon was beautiful at 140x, sharp and clear. At 180x still super
      sharp, that's the highest power I can achieve with my barlow/eyepiece.
      I don't think I will see image break down before 250x. Vega was pure
      white, so was the edge of the moon. No false color is detected in
      focus. There are false color out of focus. One side is green/yellow,
      the other side is blue and purple. Again, the seeing was not good.

      The only issue I have is a little image shift at high power when
      focusing. It is very minimal and it is possible that a simple
      adjustment will make it better, but I don't know.

      Build quality is top notch, everyone knows that. The intergrate L-
      bracket is very sturdy, so instead of using tube rings, a small
      adapter is probably sufficient. Then the tube can be put in the case
      with the adapter. Very convenient.

      Just my first impression.

      Rick

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz550" <jkurtz55@...> wrote:

      > I'm almost ready to buy one of these BUT need a couple more reviews
      > get a better idea of performance...problems/annoyances if
      any...color
      > correction, planetary views, etc. I get a sense there are several
      > others in the same boat...almost there but requiring more
      information.
      > Thanks in advance.
      > Jeff Kurtz

    • rickfinder
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
        Sorry, it was Tuesday night. Trick or Treat night.

        Rick

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "rickfinder" <rickfinder@...>
        wrote:

        > I have one for 1 week and only got chance to use it once Monday
        night
        > under the stars (and moon), so take a big grain of salt.
        >
        > Seeing was very bad, so can't really do meaningful star test.
        > Temperature was falling from 50F to 35F in about 2 hours. Took the
        > scope out from 70F room, I can see the scope was trying to catch
        up
        > with the temperature the first 30 minutes. After that, it was fine.
        >
        > Compare to the Synta 80ED, it is definitely brighter. When viewing
        > M15, the outer part can be resolved into stars. this is pretty
        good
        > consider that M15 only about 20 degrees from the 9 days moon.
        > Sharpness is equal or better than ED80. Epsilon lyra can be barely
        > split at 70x, at 88x it is a clean split with dark line in
        between.
        > Moon was beautiful at 140x, sharp and clear. At 180x still super
        > sharp, that's the highest power I can achieve with my
        barlow/eyepiece.
        > I don't think I will see image break down before 250x. Vega was
        pure
        > white, so was the edge of the moon. No false color is detected in
        > focus. There are false color out of focus. One side is
        green/yellow,
        > the other side is blue and purple. Again, the seeing was not good.
        >
        > The only issue I have is a little image shift at high power when
        > focusing. It is very minimal and it is possible that a simple
        > adjustment will make it better, but I don't know.
        >
        > Build quality is top notch, everyone knows that. The intergrate L-
        > bracket is very sturdy, so instead of using tube rings, a small
        > adapter is probably sufficient. Then the tube can be put in the
        case
        > with the adapter. Very convenient.
        >
        > Just my first impression.
        >
        > Rick
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz550" <jkurtz55@>
        wrote:

        > > I'm almost ready to buy one of these BUT need a couple more
        reviews
        > > get a better idea of performance...problems/annoyances if
        > any...color
        > > correction, planetary views, etc. I get a sense there are
        several
        > > others in the same boat...almost there but requiring more
        > information.
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > > Jeff Kurtz

      • kurtz550
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Rick;
          Thanks for your initial feedback...your comments are extremely
          helpful!
          Jeff Kurtz