Re: [William-Optics] What is going on...or when are we going to know?

  • David Yang
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 15, 2002
      Hello Ray,

      William Optics are proud to have customer like you all, unfortunately we are shortage on some of the items, William Optics is growing and producing at its pace with improving quality, therefore, no customers should worry about our support and we will continue to support all our customers. If there is anything we can fulfill your needs please kindly let us know and we will do our best to make you a happy customer like always. Now, we are fulfilling our Megrez 80L batch at a time, are you on wait list for the Megrez 80L?  ATWB is still one our original and best dealers, is there anything that we or ATWB not satisfying you? Please email us and let us know.

      Regards.

      David Yang
      William Optics Corp.

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 16, 2002
        David,

        I wish to thank you for the kind words, but this does not pacify me what's so ever.  You fail to realize the power of communication.  You have either deliberately or unconsciously avoided many inquires into what is happening to your products, what are the product futures and what distribution channels will be available. - INFORM YOUR CUSTOMER BASE.

        Whether your aware or not that the initial release of your products have been successful due in a small part to number of individuals putting their money where their mouths are and putting down hard earned cash.

        Those of us whom were early adopters of your products supported you and your growth by promoting your products everywhere we went.  We suffered through slow deliveries, partial shipments and the ever present lack of information (It took three months for me to receive my GT1-HD - a product that was suppose to be in stock and was received as a partial shipment - NO Vixen S2K).  If it hadn't been for the support and kindness of ATWB, I would not be a owner of one of your products.  My order for a Megrez 80 is on hold until I know what's happening with your product distribution, product life cycle and product support in North America.  These are the basics of doing business and you have not informed us what they are.  We have tolerated your silence long enough.  Your customers are upset.  You have only been saved to date by the fine representation of your dealer ATWB and having a wonderful product.

        I'm rambling but fed up being quiet.  Please inform us soon.

        Jim Anderson
        905 819-0575

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 16, 2002
          I think David has covered most aspects of the frustration users of the
          William Optics product line are feeling. Regardless of the questions posed
          to WO on this egroup we get the same weak response, when we even get a
          response. I too waited through a 2 month wait for my SS2K after receiving
          the GT-1. Waiting on astronomy items I can tolerate. But the disappearance
          of a product line I've invested several thousand dollars into is another
          story. I feel like one of the previous posters who mentioned he's worried
          about having a $3K GT-1 door stop.

          WO initially made a big splash when the product line was first introduced.
          The activity of this group is a good indication of that with just over 1000
          messages in almost exactly the first year. Since the 9/24 message that WO
          was changing direction of distribution this group's message base has
          dwindled to about 150 messages. That number includes this thread of what's
          going on at/with WO?

          Will WO re-emerge as a player?

          Regards,
          Don Holcombe

          > I wish to thank you for the kind words, but this does not pacify me what's
          > so ever. You fail to realize the power of communication. You have either
          > deliberately or unconsciously avoided many inquires into what is happening
          > to your products, what are the product futures and what distribution
          > channels will be available. - INFORM YOUR CUSTOMER BASE.
          >
          > Whether your aware or not that the initial release of your products have
          > been successful due in a small part to number of individuals putting their
          > money where their mouths are and putting down hard earned cash.
          >
          > Those of us whom were early adopters of your products supported you and
          your
          > growth by promoting your products everywhere we went. We suffered through
          > slow deliveries, partial shipments and the ever present lack of
          information
          > (It took three months for me to receive my GT1-HD - a product that was
          > suppose to be in stock and was received as a partial shipment - NO Vixen
          > S2K). If it hadn't been for the support and kindness of ATWB, I would not
          > be a owner of one of your products. My order for a Megrez 80 is on hold
          > until I know what's happening with your product distribution, product life
          > cycle and product support in North America. These are the basics of doing
          > business and you have not informed us what they are. We have tolerated
          your
          > silence long enough. Your customers are upset. You have only been saved
          > date by the fine representation of your dealer ATWB and having a wonderful
          > product.
          >
          > I'm rambling but fed up being quiet. Please inform us soon.
          >
          > Jim Anderson
          > 905 819-0575
          > jim.a@...

        • anthonykriz
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
            For what it's worth I can attest to William Optic's current
            commitment to their product line and customers. As some of you know
            from previous post WO recently replaced my GT-One mount due to some
            prolems I was having.

            During my many conversations with David Yang I never felt that their
            future commitiment to their product line was an issue. They have
            just recently moved their facilities which no doubt has caused a
            temporary lull in production and communication.

            It's important to remember that William Optics is both a young
            company and a foreign company trying to break into the US market.
            Communication is a hard enough thing for US companies dealing with US
            customers. Consider the challenge of a foreign company in trying to
            understand the expectations and requirements of a foreign market.

            For those of us interested in preserving the perceived public value
            of our WO's products we might be better served with some positive
            communication offline with David Yang and William Optics to get the
            answers to our questions. THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION SO DON'T BEAT ME
            UP IF DON'T AGREE <G>.

            Tony Kriz
          • dwyman
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
              > For those of us interested in preserving the perceived public value
              > of our WO's products we might be better served with some positive
              > communication offline with David Yang and William Optics to get the
              > answers to our questions. THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION SO DON'T BEAT ME
              > UP IF DON'T AGREE <G>.
              >
              > Tony Kriz

              In the words of Bill Cosby, "Let the beatings commence". Just kidding,
              Tony. This is a restricted membership group and it's moderated by WO.
              What better place to sound your horn? Our concerns have been voiced, now
              it's up to WO to respond. I'm glad to hear that the Megrez 80's are
              shipping, but what I really want is some info on the GT-1 mount or
              whatever is going to replace them.

              Don Wyman
            • poziovahim2001
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                I'll second that Tony! I'll drink to it too ::) Buen cielo, Dan NM

                --- In William-Optics@y..., "anthonykriz" <tkriz1027@a...> wrote:
                > For what it's worth I can attest to William Optic's current
                > commitment to their product line and customers. As some of you
                know
                > from previous post WO recently replaced my GT-One mount due to some
                > prolems I was having.
                >
                > During my many conversations with David Yang I never felt that
                their
                > future commitiment to their product line was an issue. They have
                > just recently moved their facilities which no doubt has caused a
                > temporary lull in production and communication.
                >
                > It's important to remember that William Optics is both a young
                > company and a foreign company trying to break into the US market.
                > Communication is a hard enough thing for US companies dealing with
                US
                > customers. Consider the challenge of a foreign company in trying
                > understand the expectations and requirements of a foreign market.
                >
                > For those of us interested in preserving the perceived public value
                > of our WO's products we might be better served with some positive
                > communication offline with David Yang and William Optics to get the
                > answers to our questions. THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION SO DON'T BEAT
                ME
                > UP IF DON'T AGREE <G>.
                >
                > Tony Kriz
              • William Yang
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                  Hi Rob,

                  We are update the new 2.06 ROM from previous 2.05V this week,I'll let you know the result when is done.
                  Thanks.

                  William

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                    William,
                    Does this mean that I can get the 2.06 ROM from William Optics?

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                      Yes, please wait for our final result.
                       Thanks.

                      William
                      Does this mean that I can get the 2.06 ROM from William Optics?

                      Rob

                      We are update the new 2.06 ROM from previous 2.05V this week,I'll let you know the result when is done.
                      Thanks.

                      William

                      Please pass on the contact information for Vixen.  I want to order the 2.06 firmware update for the SS2K.

                      Rob

                      >  Noting these things I am a bit concerned about owning a $3000.00 door
                      stop on the resale market...and if Orion is not selling Vixen stuff any more
                      where do we get replacements after the warranty has expired?  After my
                      mounts issues and the Yang guys fixing it to the point of it is one of the
                      BEST I have seen I would hate for them to be no more and worse off would be
                      the fact that if I ever wanted to resell my mount it may not be worth as
                      much as it could....Any answers?
                      > Regards,
                      > Eric Ayres
                      > Very Happy GT-1 owner!!!!
                      >   dwyman <dwyman@...> wrote: Normally I'd just let this message
                      slide but I feel the same way right
                      > now. I really think that at the very least William Optics owes us some
                      > sort of explanation as to what is going on. I too spent a lot of money
                      > on a GT-1 and a Megrez 80. I'm very satisfied with both but if William
                      > Optics disappears from the face of the earth I'm going to have a mount
                      > that is an object of curiosity and not worth much in the resale market.
                      >
                      > Now there is a lot of talk about Orion no longer handling Vixen products
                      > so that brings on the possibility of little or no support for the
                      > SkySensor 2000PC. So if my SkySensor dies, then my GT-1 dies too. Not a
                      > very pleasant prospect.
                      >
                      > I'm starting to think about dumping the GT-1 and getting a Losmandy just
                      > because I know they will probably be around for a while. If we don't
                      > hear some good news from WO soon, that will be the direction I will
                      > take.
                      >
                      > Don Wyman
                      > --
                      > Stop the world, I want to get off!!
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      > Eric Ayres
                      > 37.62N 121.6W, William Optics GT-ONE
                      > SLX MX-916,Celestron C8
                      > Vixen GP/VX102ED
                      > http://eayres.darkhorizons.org

                    • twobones
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                        William,
                        Would you please clarify what tests you are doing? The GT-1 that I
                        bought from you last summer already had 2.06 ROMs. Are you not
                        running that version yourself?

                        Thanks,
                        Dave Sandage

                        --- In William-Optics@y..., "William Yang" <william@o...> wrote:
                        > Yes, please wait for our final result.
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > William

                        Service.

                        Service.

                        Service.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Service.
                      • William Yang
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                          Hi Dave,

                          The first SS2k we sold to US was 2.05v. we are buying the empty ROM to
                          update 2.06v.

                        • Tan Wei Leong
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                            William, any chance I could update mine to v2.05?

                            The first SS2k we sold to US was 2.05v. we are buying the empty ROM to
                            update 2.06v.

                            William

                            > Would you please clarify what tests you are doing? The GT-1 that I
                            > bought from you last summer already had 2.06 ROMs. Are you not
                            > running that version yourself?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Dave Sandage
                            >
                            > --- In William-Optics@y..., "William Yang" <william@o...> wrote:
                            > > Yes, please wait for our final result.
                            > > Thanks.
                            > >
                            > > William

                          • William Yang
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 17, 2002
                              Hi Weileong,
                              Yes, we'll announce the final result and upgrade procedure.
                              Thank you.

                              William

                              > William, any chance I could update mine to v2.05?

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Jim Anderson
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 18, 2002
                                Tony,

                                Thank you for sharing your response.  I know I was demanding in my email but I have on multiple occasions requested more information from William and David as to their future directions and involvement in the mount market in North America.  Being in Canada adds additional considerations dealing with a firm such as WO.  My decision to purchase the GT1-HD and the appropriate accessories landed in Canada cost me a little over $7K Canadian after freight and taxes thus I am very sensitive to perception and investment.

                                The cost of doing business in US and Canada involves keeping your customer base informed.  I am sorry but I don't prescribe to "well we are moving so we can't talk to you right now" or "we can't talk about our products future because we haven't built it yet" or any of the other myriad of excuses presented to the group.  If you are unable to communicate to the customer base you hire people who can.  We have waited over 6 months with the above excuses being repeatedly presented as if they were acceptable.  I believe we have all been very patient.  As for this forum not being appropriate for this communication - I agree to a point.  It was not done lightly nor without consideration as to its effect.  BUT I do want an indepth response back from David or William on our requests for information.

                                If I may suggest an example of dialoque that impresses the hell out me is what needs to takes place review the MaxImDL yahoo site.  Doug and company (Diffraction Limited http://www.cyanogen.com) whom are also a small company here in Canada that works very hard to keep their customer base active and interested.

                                As for the WO mount product - it is a wonderful product and it has exceeded my expectations.  Will I buy from WO again.  Sure, but I want to know that my purchases are backed up by a company that has invested into the North American market and is committed to a long term relationship.  Willams Optics knows who purchased their products.  They had every chance to communicate off line that they were leaving the US and what effect it would have on support.  There are many things that WO could have done to keep existing customers appraised of what and where they were going with their products.  They chose not to communicate this even privately.  I am not pacified with where we are today in the vendor/customer relationship.  It is up to WO to correct this.

                                Jim Anderson

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 18, 2002
                                  Hello David and William,

                                  I am the person that started this thread. I had no idea that it would
                                  cause such a reaction.

                                  In my orginal note I said "FIX IT". Let me try to communicate very
                                  clearly what I mean by this.

                                  I own a GT-1 mount. I am very happy with it and have many other people
                                  in the local area wanting to know more about it. I think it is a very
                                  good product. Given the current situation I cannot recommend it to my
                                  friends. I would like to be able to recommend it.

                                  I live close to ATWB. I have met Herb, Ray and all the people at ATWB.
                                  I trust them. I like to do business with them. They are very helpful
                                  and stand behind the products they sell.

                                  William and David...Please do the following:

                                  1. Tell Herb when you will be shipping product to him.

                                  2. Tell Herb what the prices will be on future shipments.

                                  Herb Please do the following:

                                  1. When you hear from William and David pass this information on to us
                                  here on the Forum.

                                  William and David...When we see dates and prices posted by Herb and
                                  ATWB we will be happy customers and stop complaining.

                                  We trust Herb and ATWB. When they say everything is OK we will be
                                  happy again. Nothing else you say will help the current situation.

                                  I have said this in an honest and simple way.

                                  We wait for your next move. You need to communicate with Herb and we
                                  need to hear from Herb.

                                  Thank You,

                                  Ray Maxwell
                                • Herb York