Megrez 80 Test-FINALLY!!

  • Don Wyman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2001
      Well, after owning my Meg80 for over 2 months, I finally had a chance
      to try it out under clear skies and on a equatorial mount. The only
      way I was able to use it before was on a heavy photo tripod, not
      exactly the best way to try a bunch of different powers using
      different eyepieces.

      The mount is a Celestron NexStar 80GT GOTO mount. Yes, the reviewer in
      Sky & Telescope was right about the Meg80 fitting in place of the
      Short Tube 80 :)

      Had some GOTO problems with the mount but that's a whole different
      story. It worked well enough to try a number of configurations. The
      first thing I wanted to find out was whether my 2" WO diagonal
      suffered from the astigmatism reported in the S&T article. I compared
      it to my excellent Lumicon 1.25" enhanced mirror diagonal. Views using
      either with a 4.8mm Nagler were sharp, contrasty and astigmatism free.
      This was true in focus, inside focus and outside focus. Whew!! What a
      relief. After looking at M13, M57, M11 and M45, the moon decided to
      spoil the party. I ended up looking at it for 10 mins or so. Just a
      hint of color on the edges but I had to look for it. After a minute or
      so, I forgot it was even there.

      Bottom line? I love my little Meg80. Quality throughout and fun to
      use.

      Don Wyman
    • Don Holcombe
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
        Don,

        That sounds like a neat hook-up, good optics and having the GOTO to play
        with.

        Don H