Re: Eagle and Bubble with Z110 TMB

  • ancient.sull
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
      See Below:

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "albireo71" <mail@...> wrote:
      > On my monitor I see the pictures a bit weak in intesity
      > maybe is ust matter
      > of monitor regulation. Mine is not calibrataed :(

      That isn't your monitor, it's my processing <G>.

      I am new to this Astrophotography/Image processing stuff and am
      having a lot of trouble with getting the images bright (in luminance)
      without getting washed out (in saturation). I tend to get bright-but-
      pink or dark-but-red.

      I read and am trying to follow Gendlers article on HaRGB images but
      doing it requires a bit of practice.

      > On the bubble I would try to decrease the DDP (if any) to reduce
      the
      > halos of the star in the middle of the bubble.

      I don't do DDP. I suspect that is due to overstretching that part of
      the images or due to overdoing the color layer. I am _trying_ to have
      an RGB background and the Luminance largely but not entirely from Ha.
      More Ha should fix that.

      > Good job. paolo lazzarini
      > ITALY

      Grazzi mille (I think that's right <G>)

      Drew Sullivan
      California
    • albireo71
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
        Hi Drew
        "Grazzi mille" is 99% correct so You're on the right way. Anyway I
        appreciated this italian fairplay ! (by the way is "Grazie 1000",
        not a big mistake).

        Coming back to your pictures.

        1st Robert Gendler suggestions are definitely more indicated than
        mine... anyway I'll try some....

        If the picture seems washed out is normal with pure Ha luminance
        (pink like). For Ha I would always try to add a given percentage of
        red (shot at bin1x1 like the Ha is). This would increase a bit the
        size of the star but will lead to more natural color and a bit less
        details but not so much.

        Take long-color-exposure. It's not true that only Luminance matters.
        If you want to "colorize" a grey picture that is very deep, Your
        color signal must be deep enought to reach the luminance where it's
        very dim.

        If you have a good color you can stretch it a lot or increase the
        saturation without getting too much noise. You can even filter out
        the color layer with a filtering tool (grain surgery for PS or
        others). It will not affect the final resolution too much.

        For the DDP, I think it would also help because it increases the
        weak side of the picture while keeping the stars near at the same
        brightness. It also reduces the diameter of the stars themselves a
        bit. Use it. It will be easier fot You to increase the intensity
        without getting very huge stars.

        The DDP must be used carefully to avoid halos. With Maxim DL a good
        compromise is the so called "DDP-kernel low pass" even if I do
        prefer a custom DDP where you can specify a "matrix" let say 3x3,
        all zeros and "1" in the center.

        I use to DDP both for luminance and RGB (separately) and I combine
        them in photoshop later.

        Sorry everyone for the long email. Hope it will be of some help.

        Paolo

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "ancient.sull"