Re: Megrez ED triplet APO or Megrez Fluorite Doublet for astrophotography?

  • williamopticsmarketing
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4 12:01 AM
      Only the tube has been slightly redesigned. Dewshieldcap will be
      white. It now features a dual speed focuser included in the price
      like all the other telescopes. Pics will be uploaded on our website
      next week.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Looks like the 80 Super APO triplet has been redesigned and is now
      > going to be back in stock in late August.
      >
      > https://www.william-optics.com/wo_shop/catalog/product_info.php?
      > products_id=192
      >
      > Timm
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I would suggest looking at the Gallery of photos on the WO
      website
      > > and compare the shots from scope to scope. You can search by
      > product,
      > > or by object, and see what you think.
      > >
      > > I think you will get pros and cons to both choices, and there are
      > > number of users here with both scopes, so hopefully one or more
      > will
      > > chime in with their opinions.
      > >
      > > You might also find this article helpful.
      > > http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1471
      > >
      > > Keep in mind that currently, the Megrez FD is the only one
      > available,
      > > but I'm not sure what WO has planned for the triplet, but the
      > website
      > > says it's being redesigned, so you might have to wait a few
      months
      > > do a current comparison.
      > >
      > > The doublet will show some field curvature in the edges, since I
      > > believe all doublets will, and you can check the shots on the WO
      > > gallery, or look at my full size versions here ->
      > > http://www.4shared.com/dir/549285/1d534357/Hawaii_Pics.html
      > >
      > > If you are planning on buying a field flattener anyway, then this
      > > might not be an issue, or if you are cropping the image, then you
      > can
      > > crop out the outer stars that aren't round.
      > >
      > > Maybe Scott or one of the others can offer up some additional
      > advice
      > > that would help.
      > >

      > > Timm
      > >
      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "innivodave" <dave@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > > I know there have been similar posts, but I can't seem to
      find
      > > > anything relating to astrophotography in particular. I am stuck
      > > > between Megrez ED triplet APO and Megrez Fluorite Doublet. If
      the
      > > > scope is to be used exclusively for imaging, which one would be
      > > best?
      > > > and for what reasons? At the moment I am leaning towards the
      > > fluorite
      > > > doublet, I think mainly due to the TMB codesigned lens, but I'm
      > > > relative newbie to this, so any thoughts are greatly
      appreciated.

      > > > Thanks
      > > > Dave

    • williamopticsmarketing
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4 12:04 AM
        Not really, the Megrez Triplet ED only had a slightly better visual
        color correction. I would personally recommend the FD with a field
        flattener for astrophotography, or the new M90 or ZS110.

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Harrison - Innivo"
        <dave@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for your reply Timm, I did read that review and it was very
        informative but they actually state that they didn't have any
        photographic data, just visual, which is what led me to post here.
        I've seen the triplet for sale here
        http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=1-600-613-8151, but maybe
        they're out of stock now or it's the last few available. Would the
        triplet avoid the field curvature that's present in the doublet?