Re: [William-Optics] ZenithScope for Solar Observing?

  • Scott Walker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2006
      I know very little about solar work. If you are only working at h-alpha and on the sun why not just use a long achromatic?You do not need the wide field. A long achromat should still have very good spherical aberration correction at 656nm and you do not need good color correction since you are working at one wavelength. As I said I know little about solar so I thought I would ask the question and learn something.

      Scott Walker
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        For that matter, use a long-focus, simple lens, as is done with a
        coronagraph. This provides the ultimate in a clean image, though a really
        good design uses an aspheric, simple lens to avoid SA. The telescopes
        Coronado sells are actually achromats, with coatings optimized for the red
        end of the spectrum.

        James Stephens, PhD 601-599-4260 (h)
        29 Park Place #301 601-268-2681 ext. 40 (w)
        Hattiesburg MS 39402

        >I know very little about solar work. If you are only working at h-alpha and
        >on the sun why not just use a long achromatic?You do not need the wide
        >field. A long achromat should still have very good spherical aberration
        >correction at 656nm and you do not need good color correction since you are
        >working at one wavelength. As I said I know little about solar so I thought
        >I would ask the question and learn something.
        >
        >Scott Walker
      • williamopticsmarketing
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
          The good old ZS80 has gone from the North Pole to the Libyan desert
          without problems...
          The ZS105 has been used with succes also for solar observations:

          http://www.nies.ch/turkey/2006/index.de.php/image200604-d70-7295.php

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "James Stephens"