Transporty your GT-1

  • Don Wyman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2001
      Ok, this may be of interest to those of you who will be transporty
      your GT-1 to star parties. I've worked out cases for the entire mount
      and tripod.

      Step 1, The Mount head and tripod tray:

      I bought a Contico case from the local hardware store. It's called the
      Ultimate Tote. It's 16 gallons and the dimensions are 28" long by 18"
      wide by 12.5" high. I cut some 2" foam pad to fit the bottom and the
      mount head sets inside. I cut some more foam for the ends but the
      mount fits snugly inside and the sides do not have room. After setting
      the mount head in, I put a cut section of 1/2" sleeping pad (from
      camping section of department store) on top of it. The tripod tray
      fits on top of that and I put another piece of the 2" foam on top of
      it. Everything is well protected and the case is not too bulky.

      Step 2, The Tripod:

      I bought a padded case from Orion to fit the 6" and 8" SkyQuest Dob
      tube assembly for $44.95. The catalog number is 15160. It's a few
      inches longer than the tripod and there's room for some 1/2" padding
      on the top and bottom. I then took another sleeping pad and cut it to
      fit the inside of the case for added protection for the tripod. The
      tripod fits beautifully in this. The sleeping pads were on sale for
      $5.00 and I used two for the project.

      Step 3, the counterweights:

      I bought a six-pack zippered cooler that has a plastic tray inside.
      The counterweight fits very nicely <G>.

      Whooohoo!!

      I can now transport my GT-1 safely without worrying about it getting
      banged up.

      Don Wyman