San Diego and 6" Refractors

  • jim.a@home.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
      Hello;

      Heading down to San Diego in a week for a few days of meetings and
      thought I might harrass the local scope shops as I am looking for a
      6" refractor to mount on my GT-ONE HD. Any suggestions on whom to
      drop in on while I am in southern California?

      Jim
      Toronto, Canada
    • Jon Kolb
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
        Jim,

        > Heading down to San Diego in a week for a few days of meetings and
        > thought I might harrass the local scope shops as I am looking for a
        > 6" refractor to mount on my GT-ONE HD. Any suggestions on whom to
        > drop in on while I am in southern California?

        You can check out Borg scopes at the Hutech office south of LAX. I did this
        at the end of a business trip last year, and was like a kid in a toy store
        with all of the astrophotography goodies. The 150mm f/6.7 was quite
        impressive. Best to email or call Ted Ishikawa first to make sure he'll be
        there to meet you (and to make sure he's got a 150 on hand).

        Sincerely,
        Jon Kolb
        Adventures in Astrophotography
        http://home.datawest.net/jkolb/
        jkolb@...
      • Kent Gittings
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
          Just about anything you find short of Tak, AP, or Meade will be a Sinta
          scope and you can get those in Canada from Sky Watcher in the same quality
          and probably cheaper (can't vouch for used prices). There are some expensive
          others and there is always the possibility of stumbling into something else
          like a Jaegers, Brandt, or something.
          Maybe you should consider buying a set of optics from one of those guys who
          sell them on Ebay, then build you own. I think the guy in Holland has a set
          of 8.7" F12 optics on sale for around $2000 in a full metal cell. Probably
          much bigger than you want. But I think they sell 6" F8, F10 and F12 optics
          also. Was a guy in Taiwan selling the same sets also. May all be Sinta
          optics also but you get a wider choice of focal lengths to build from.
          Supposedly they have Strel ratios of around 98% and 1/4 to 1/6 wave.
          Kent Gittings

          Heading down to San Diego in a week for a few days of meetings and
          thought I might harrass the local scope shops as I am looking for a
          6" refractor to mount on my GT-ONE HD. Any suggestions on whom to
          drop in on while I am in southern California?

          Jim
          Toronto, Canada

          the system manager.

          www.mimesweeper.com