Hi, binoviewer info

  • griffdmx
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hello, I am new to the group, and I am considering the WO Binoviewer,
      eps, and 1.6 corrector. The product gets good reviews on other
      forums, etc. I don't know if I should direct this inquiry to this
      group (A binoviwer group on yahoo will not permit discussion of a
      manufacturer that begins with "Si" due to copyright infractions, and
      I have a question that concerns their products used with WO. Perhaps
      some of you are also members of this bino group and can help).

      I currently have a Hardin 10 1250mm fl dob w/crayford focuser, and a
      generic Synta ST80 f5 (and 4.5 and 6 in, both parabolic, both f8,
      reflectors).

      I would appreciate any info/problems I may experience with the 10 dob
      and ST80,etc, with the WO binos. Will I need a extension of some
      sort? Is the 1.6x lens going to give me 2x on the dob? Will a Antares
      (3element)2x barlow result in about 4x?

      I expect I will need some magnetic counter balances, etc.

      Does anyone have experience with the Siebert OCA's that Siebert says
      will work with WO/Burgess/others etc?

      Thanks in advance to all for your knowledge/expertise.

      Griff
    • nagler4
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi Griff,

        I am a new member who does not own a William Optic telescope.
        However, the product line is most intriguing and definitely seems to
        warrant further investigation. My curiousity extends towards the 110
        APO - and binoviewing. I do not own a binoviewer yet either, BTW.

        RE: your posting - a few questions, if I may.

        You mention that there is a Binoviewer group that will not permit
        discussion of "Si" (presumabely Siebert) BVers, due to copyright
        infractions. May I ask, exactly which copyright infractions? You
        have got me curious enough to ask which group, so that I can run the
        question by them. If you have any exact information so as to provide
        a "heads up" before I make the inquiry, then I would appreciate it
        greatly. You (or anyone else) may wish to respond privately rather
        than by "broadcast" and if so, my e-mail is bdphanson@... Please
        include a subject line so that I don't "spam you!" by accident. It
        just smells a bit like big brand bullying, using a generalized
        accustation to shut down discussion of a competitor.

        If I hear nothing in a few days, I just might take a good guess, post
        on to the group using the name Siebert, and just see what happens.
        But my - it would be good to have advance info first.

        On to better stuff. We seem to have very generally similar equipment
        or interests. I own a small refractor, which is an 85 mm APO. I
        would love to purchase a good Dob in the 11-12.5" range - not in the
        immediate future, but "soon." First I must take care of the
        binoviewer aquisition, and the ones that I have been looking at so
        far are more expensive than the W/O alternative. I already have a
        matched set of 24 Panoptics, and would guess that the vignetting
        would be horrible with small clear aperture prisms. Please feel free
        to respond to this point anyone, but please - only if you are SURE by
        personal experience with 24 Pans on the W/O unit.

        I am (already) a bit concerned with my 85 mm being too small for the
        BV, and thus am thinking about the larger Dob, generally similar in
        aperture to yours. Back problems demand a 'scope that will break
        down for transport and assembly. However, I would appreciate any and
        all comments about the suitability of using a larger Dob (any Dob!)
        with the W/O BV. Doesn't OCS penetration into the tube ruin the
        images, or are some large Dobs much more suitable than others? I'd
        love to know!

        The other thing that I would love to hear from are owners of scopes
        in the range of the APO 110 (105?) who are using them with a
        Binoviwer (any Binoviewer). Is one W/O scope better than the other
        when it comes to issues like balance or the ability to rack in the
        focusser in order to achieve focus with a BVer? Also, I'd love to
        hear just how well the 1.6x Corrector works, be it on a W/O BVer or a
        competitor. Finally, does it perform well with Tele Vue eyepieces?

        You also mentioned that you have a 6" f/8 reflector. Will the W/O or
        any other BV work on this unit? If so, how does the combination
        perform?

        Lots of questions, I know. Thank you for your help and patience with
        a new member. I am a person who loves astronomy, and sharing views
        with others - but that is a different chapter... I come from
        the "wet west coast" of Canada (Vancouver area) and am currently
        absolutely drunk on the wonderful crisp blue (and dark!) skies that
        we have been enjoying in the last two weeks. I have done more
        astronomy lately than in the last 8 months - well, perhaps I should
        say, enjoyable, wonderful, non sucker-hole astronomy. You know, the
        kind of astronomical experiences that just sing "more!" and make one
        want to bring others to your site or club, and then tell the
        story! Wow!

        Sincerely,

        Bob

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "griffdmx" <griffdmx@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello, I am new to the group, and I am considering the WO
        Binoviewer,
        > eps, and 1.6 corrector. The product gets good reviews on other
        > forums, etc. I don't know if I should direct this inquiry to this
        > group (A binoviwer group on yahoo will not permit discussion of a
        > manufacturer that begins with "Si" due to copyright infractions,
        and
        > I have a question that concerns their products used with WO.
        Perhaps
        > some of you are also members of this bino group and can help).
        >
        > I currently have a Hardin 10 1250mm fl dob w/crayford focuser, and
        > generic Synta ST80 f5 (and 4.5 and 6 in, both parabolic, both f8,
        > reflectors).
        >
        > I would appreciate any info/problems I may experience with the 10
        dob
        > and ST80,etc, with the WO binos. Will I need a extension of some
        > sort? Is the 1.6x lens going to give me 2x on the dob? Will a
        Antares
        > (3element)2x barlow result in about 4x?
        >
        > I expect I will need some magnetic counter balances, etc.
        >
        > Does anyone have experience with the Siebert OCA's that Siebert
        says
        > will work with WO/Burgess/others etc?
        >
        > Thanks in advance to all for your knowledge/expertise.
        >
        > Griff

      • williamopticsmarketing
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2006
          Griff (and Bob)

          you asked about using binos on Dob/ reflectors.
          With some of these, there might be infocus issues. Sometimes the
          problem is solved by using an OCA (the provided one or a more/less
          powerful one) (WO package comes with a 1.6x, plus we have a 2x
          optional one), sometimes you can use a barlow, sometimes you can
          adjust the secondary mirror a bit to reach focus, sometimes there is
          little you can do...

          There are many resources out there, check out Bino groups in CN,
          Astromart, Yahoo and ask people with your specific set-up.

          For the WO binoviewers, you may want to check out also these external
          review from a UK magazine:

          http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/temp/binoviewer.jpg
          http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/temp/binoviewer1.jpg

          Hope this helps.

          p.s.
          Here there is no copyright, censorship or anything here. Feel free
          discussion about anything, as long as we keep it civil and we do not
          bash anyone or any opinion. At the end of the day, we are just
          talking telescopes, not politics ( even if we were talking politics,
          we should keep it civil anyway... ;-) )

          This group is a WO group of course, but we encourage comparisons and
          discussions related to astronomy and equipment. So far we never had
          any problems on this group and thanks to the work of our volunteer
          moderators and other WO friends, I think this group is very relaxed
          and useful. Just my personal opinion...

          wrote:

          > Hello, I am new to the group, and I am considering the WO
          Binoviewer,
          > eps, and 1.6 corrector. The product gets good reviews on other
          > forums, etc. I don't know if I should direct this inquiry to this
          > group (A binoviwer group on yahoo will not permit discussion of a
          > manufacturer that begins with "Si" due to copyright infractions,
          and
          > I have a question that concerns their products used with WO.
          Perhaps
          > some of you are also members of this bino group and can help).
          >
          > I currently have a Hardin 10 1250mm fl dob w/crayford focuser, and
          > generic Synta ST80 f5 (and 4.5 and 6 in, both parabolic, both f8,
          > reflectors).
          >
          > I would appreciate any info/problems I may experience with the 10
          dob
          > and ST80,etc, with the WO binos. Will I need a extension of some
          > sort? Is the 1.6x lens going to give me 2x on the dob? Will a
          Antares
          > (3element)2x barlow result in about 4x?
          >
          > I expect I will need some magnetic counter balances, etc.
          >
          > Does anyone have experience with the Siebert OCA's that Siebert
          says
          > will work with WO/Burgess/others etc?
          >
          > Thanks in advance to all for your knowledge/expertise.
          >
          > Griff

        • williamopticsmarketing
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2006
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "nagler4" <bdphanson@...>
            wrote:

            > First I must take care of the
            > binoviewer aquisition, and the ones that I have been looking at so
            > far are more expensive than the W/O alternative. I already have a
            > matched set of 24 Panoptics, and would guess that the vignetting
            > would be horrible with small clear aperture prisms. Please feel
            free
            > to respond to this point anyone, but please - only if you are SURE
            by
            > personal experience with 24 Pans on the W/O unit.

            Cannot comment on other brands. With our own unit and our own UWAN 16
            mm on a ZS105mm, the views are stunning. I think Kurt has binos, a
            ZS110 but not sure on the eyepieces he has... He may want to comment
            further, or anyone else with the equipment Bob is looking into.

            > I am (already) a bit concerned with my 85 mm being too small for
            the
            > BV, and thus am thinking about the larger Dob, generally similar in
            > aperture to yours. Back problems demand a 'scope that will break
            > down for transport and assembly. However, I would appreciate any
            and
            > all comments about the suitability of using a larger Dob (any Dob!)
            > with the W/O BV. Doesn't OCS penetration into the tube ruin the
            > images, or are some large Dobs much more suitable than others? I'd
            > love to know!

            The more glass you put in the more the image will suffer especially
            in terms of brightness, there is no escape from that.

            > The other thing that I would love to hear from are owners of scopes
            > in the range of the APO 110 (105?) who are using them with a
            > Binoviwer (any Binoviewer). Is one W/O scope better than the other
            > when it comes to issues like balance or the ability to rack in the
            > focusser in order to achieve focus with a BVer?

            I do not think our unit is any better than any other, it is all a
            matter of what you need and expect for what price. Many options is
            always good.

            Also, I'd love to
            > hear just how well the 1.6x Corrector works, be it on a W/O BVer or
            > competitor. Finally, does it perform well with Tele Vue eyepieces?
            >
            > You also mentioned that you have a 6" f/8 reflector. Will the W/O
            or
            > any other BV work on this unit? If so, how does the combination
            > perform?
            >
            > Lots of questions, I know. Thank you for your help and patience
            with
            > a new member. I am a person who loves astronomy, and sharing views
            > with others - but that is a different chapter... I come from
            > the "wet west coast" of Canada (Vancouver area) and am currently
            > absolutely drunk on the wonderful crisp blue (and dark!) skies that
            > we have been enjoying in the last two weeks. I have done more
            > astronomy lately than in the last 8 months - well, perhaps I should
            > say, enjoyable, wonderful, non sucker-hole astronomy. You know,
            the
            > kind of astronomical experiences that just sing "more!" and make
            one
            > want to bring others to your site or club, and then tell the
            > story! Wow!
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >

            > Bob

            Keep writing! We appreciate your inputs and questions!