ZenithStar II ED APO - Report

  • steve_kyle_murphy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2006
      I just got back from the Shingletown Star Party in northern
      California and had the chance to kick the tires on William Optics'
      new APO. I'm very impressed. The scope is simply 'sexy'. The finish
      and craftmanship on the scope is quite striking. The focuser superb.
      I couldn't find anything I didn't like about the scope which I can't
      say for other scopes far more expensive than this one; this actually
      seems to be the case with most WO scopes that I have seen - well
      thought out and great craftmanship.

      I wish I could have had a chance to view some deep sky objects, but
      I didn't know the gentleman that owned the scope and was very
      thankful for letting me view through his refracters. I should also
      say that his other scope was an Astrophysics 6" Starfire. This guy
      obviously knows quality. Anyway - Jupiter was impressive in this
      little scope. Zero color and nice detail. The seeing was far from
      great - maybe 6.5 out of 10 and even so, the scope held together
      nicely - the jovian moons nice, tight, and obvious discs. Every once
      in a while the sky would settle and I would get outstanding views of
      the planet. Very impressive color saturation for an 80mm scope as
      well - I find scopes in this aperture range can start to fade and
      wash out. Not this scope.

      Hard to say how sharp imaging will be compared to fluorite glass,
      but visually this scope packs a punch! I can't wait to do some
      serious viewing with this scope. I'm trying to talk my dad into
      buying one for a grab and go scope. I'll be ordering mine this
      friday! What a deal for $598!!!!

      -Steve
      -Chico California
    • williamopticsmarketing
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2006
        Hi Steve,
        thank you for sharing your opinion. The ZS 80 II ED APO is selling
        extremely well worldwide and we are very pleased with the customers'
        feedack and response. The product has been out only 2 full months
        now, but it is already very well known (even without any official
        reviews yet).

        Not sure if you ordered one already or not, but if you did, you will
        get a free 1.25" dielectric diagonal inlcuded in the price.
        If you already have a WO 2" diagonal, you can use the 1.25" with
        binoviewers, or you can simply resell it. All orders placed with
        WOnline Secure Online Shop and above US$ 350 (like the ZS80IIED) can
        benefit from an additional FREE SHIPPING promotion!

        Enjoy.

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "steve_kyle_murphy"
        <steve_kyle_murphy@...> wrote:

        > I just got back from the Shingletown Star Party in northern
        > California and had the chance to kick the tires on William Optics'
        > new APO. I'm very impressed. The scope is simply 'sexy'. The finish
        > and craftmanship on the scope is quite striking. The focuser
        superb.
        > I couldn't find anything I didn't like about the scope which I
        can't
        > say for other scopes far more expensive than this one; this
        actually
        > seems to be the case with most WO scopes that I have seen - well
        > thought out and great craftmanship.
        >
        > I wish I could have had a chance to view some deep sky objects, but
        > I didn't know the gentleman that owned the scope and was very
        > thankful for letting me view through his refracters. I should also
        > say that his other scope was an Astrophysics 6" Starfire. This guy
        > obviously knows quality. Anyway - Jupiter was impressive in this
        > little scope. Zero color and nice detail. The seeing was far from
        > great - maybe 6.5 out of 10 and even so, the scope held together
        > nicely - the jovian moons nice, tight, and obvious discs. Every
        once
        > in a while the sky would settle and I would get outstanding views
        of
        > the planet. Very impressive color saturation for an 80mm scope as
        > well - I find scopes in this aperture range can start to fade and
        > wash out. Not this scope.
        >
        > Hard to say how sharp imaging will be compared to fluorite glass,
        > but visually this scope packs a punch! I can't wait to do some
        > serious viewing with this scope. I'm trying to talk my dad into
        > buying one for a grab and go scope. I'll be ordering mine this
        > friday! What a deal for $598!!!!
        >
        > -Steve
        > -Chico California

      • Rickie Rainwater
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
          The ZS 80 II ED APO is the finest scope I have ever used.  Jupiter was crisp and I was even able to see the bands on jupiter clearly at low power with absolutely no color fringing period.  The moon was incredibly detailed and extremely resolute and again, no color fringing at all.  This is a superior quality astronomical instrument and worth every penny.  Excellent.
          Rickie Rainwater