6501Re: Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family

  • Chris Schroeder
    Dec 29, 2005
      Let me take a stab at this, remember this is just my opinion and
      it's worth exactly what you paid for it ;^) My comments will be
      after each of your questions below

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, hypergut <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > To All:
      >
      > Having been smitten with the ZSSD 66 APO, I am looking at more
      > "refractor" APO aperture for my future, i.e., 80mm or greater.
      >
      > Can anyone clearly outline the advantages and qualities of the
      various
      > members of these two design groups, Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family,
      > e.g., is one design better for imaging versus visual use? Physical
      > properties (other than weight)? Mechanical differences? Optical
      > advantages?

      I believe they are just different styles with pretty much equal
      performance mechanically

      > The Megrez 80mm FD is it a fluorite achromat, semi-apo or apo?
      > The other members are apochromats, correct?

      APO

      > What advantage has the Megrez fluorite Triplet Apo over the Megrez
      > 80mm IIED Apo? What advantage has any 80mm Megrez design over the
      new
      > 80mm ZenithStar 80mm fluorite doublet (the so-called red
      temptress).

      Better color correction of the Flourite Triplet over both 80IIED and
      80APO

      > Is the 80mm ZSFD an apo?

      Yes

      > Unrelated to my past or future purchases, but maybe helpful to
      others,
      > why would someone choose the ZS66 Petzval Semi-Apo ED or the ZS66
      > Triplet ED-Apo versions over the ZSSD 66 Apo?

      Petzval is a semi-APO, but because of it's design, it has a very
      flat field which is great for Astrophotography. The triplet should
      have the best color correct of the three. The SD APO is a doublet,
      which gives it a litter weight and quicker cooling over a triplet
      but still have good color correction.

      Clear as mud now? Hope this helps Robert, Chris

      > Curious Minds Want to Know!
      >
      > Robert in Hershey
      >
      > P.S. as you can see, I now own cadioptrics, refractors and a big
      newt:
      > 18" f4.5 Obsession, Galaxy/AN (with ZSSD 66mm Apo superfinder)
      > 8" f10 Meade LX90 SCT
      > 5" f10 Intes-Micro Mak-Cas
      > 4.7" f6 Orion Astroview 120ST Achro

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic