6496Re: Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family

  • williamopticsmarketing
    Dec 29, 2005
      Hello Gentlemen,

      at the moment (I will stick to 80mm) we have 3 ZenithStar and 3
      Megrez on the market.

      The ZenithStar are the achromat ZS80 and ZS80Short (only shorter for
      binoviewing), and the ZenithStar Fluorite Doublet APO (the
      anniversary scope). The first two are a cemented doublet, the APO is
      an air spaced doublet designed by Thomas Back (TMB).

      The Megrez on the market right now are the Megrez Fluorite Doublet
      APO (same optics as the ZSFD), a Megrez Triplet ED APO, and the
      Megrez Triplet Fluorite APO (once more optics designed by TMB).

      For more info on each single scope, please refer to the following
      resurces:

      1/Other members in this group, also in the form of previous messages.
      You can use the search function to find what you are looking for.
      Most topics have been covered here already

      2/ Our website. You can see what people said about their scopes in
      the feedback section. Check also the links to external reviews. There
      are some photos taken with each scope, for some scopes we do not have
      many pics up yet. Remember that the pics represent first of all the
      photographer (we use our gallery to show our users' work not to show
      off only the best photos...)

      3/ Check out other online forums such as Cloudynights, Astromart,
      etc. You can find a full list here:
      http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/links/discussion.htm

      I hope this helps for a start!

      4/ If you have specific questions which are still unaswered, please
      contact us at wo@... or support@...

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "starsearcheffort3"
      <william001@f...> wrote:

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, hypergut <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > > To All:
      > >
      > > Having been smitten with the ZSSD 66 APO, I am looking at more
      > > "refractor" APO aperture for my future, i.e., 80mm or greater.
      > >
      > > Can anyone clearly outline the advantages and qualities of the
      various
      > > members of these two design groups, Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family,
      > > e.g., is one design better for imaging versus visual use? Physical
      > > properties (other than weight)? Mechanical differences? Optical
      > > advantages?
      > >
      > > The Megrez 80mm FD is it a fluorite achromat, semi-apo or apo?
      > > The other members are apochromats, correct?
      > >
      > > What advantage has the Megrez fluorite Triplet Apo over the Megrez
      > > 80mm IIED Apo? What advantage has any 80mm Megrez design over the
      new
      > > 80mm ZenithStar 80mm fluorite doublet (the so-called red
      temptress).
      > > Is the 80mm ZSFD an apo?
      > >
      > > Unrelated to my past or future purchases, but maybe helpful to
      others,
      > > why would someone choose the ZS66 Petzval Semi-Apo ED or the ZS66
      > > Triplet ED-Apo versions over the ZSSD 66 Apo?
      > >
      > > Curious Minds Want to Know!
      > >
      > > Robert in Hershey
      > >
      > > P.S. as you can see, I now own cadioptrics, refractors and a big
      newt:
      > > 18" f4.5 Obsession, Galaxy/AN (with ZSSD 66mm Apo superfinder)
      > > 8" f10 Meade LX90 SCT
      > > 5" f10 Intes-Micro Mak-Cas
      > > 4.7" f6 Orion Astroview 120ST Achro
      > >

      > Robert,
      > Good question.
      >
      > I asked it here a week or so ago, what are the differences between
      the
      > Megrez "family" and the Zenithstar "family?"
      >
      > Answer: nobody knows.
      >
      > A FAQ is being considered but until that time your guess is as good
      > as mine.
      >
      > But why would a web site want to make clear the differences between
      > its two main product lines?
      >
      > And who would expect a users' group to know a recodite thing like
      that?
      > Clear skies,
      > Bill Meyers

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic