22452RE: GTF81 focal length

  • sberrada_99
    Oct 12, 2013

      Yes you are correct

      I get 553mm using single sub measured from astrometry.net

      That is quite a difference to F6.8 vs F5.9

      ---In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, <william-optics@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello - I'm new to the group here.

      I've been an enthusiastic amateur for a long time, but in the past year and a half have become an addicted astrophotographer and have gone as "all-in" as my budget will allow.

      I recently purchased a GTF81 from Agena to be my main imaging scope, to go with my Atik 383l+ monochrome camera.

      While the scope is beautifully made (I have never owned a scope with this caliber of craftsmanship), I have gotten some odd results from imaging that concern me.

      I use Ron Wodalski's CCD calculator and figured that based on the stated specs of the telescope (478mm focal length, f/5.9 optics) I should get an image scale of about 2.33 arcsec/pixel.

      I've done some imaging, and immediately noticed that not only is it a bit more challenging to guide this telescope because of the weight, my images seemed to have been a bit grainier, as if the signal-to-noise ratio isn't great (up until recently I had been using a Stellarvue scope working at f/5.6 - should not be a dramatic difference to f/5.9!).

      When I plate-solve my images, I find I get an image scale of 2.05 arcsec/pixel, which corresponds to ~550 mm focal length and f/6.7!

      Has anyone else gotten similarly odd results with this scope?

      Thanks,

      Dan
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic