21713[William Optics] Re: how to use binoviewer

  • phyzznyk
    May 3, 2011
      I would like to thank everyone for the kind advice offered regarding my bino-viewer post. Part one of my research was actually trying out the used WO binoviewer at a star party, and several different refractors were tried out with similar results, thus leading to part 2 of my research which was my posting a few days ago. It seems clear that there is more to this than meets the eye (pun intended) and I will continue to be cautious. In fact I may speak to WO directly, especially since I own a WO refractor, but to date I have not actually purchased the binoviewer; it is still up for grabs through the astronomy club I belong to. Thanks everybody.
      Ron

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Tim Levin <iamtimlevin@...> wrote:

      > Ross,Please understand that my last post was not directed towards you and/or your post in particular, but instead to suggest a good informative article, web site on binoviewers -as well as offer my own advice on  what to expect  when purchasing binoviewers in general. I felt it important to let others interested in binoviewing that not all bino's come with reducers, barlows, or that there is no  "one size fits all" solution  to cover all the various types/brands of scope or focuser(&its particular focusing parameters), or their specific set-up. I have no idea what model/ year WO bino Ron purchased from the seller nor do I know its specific packaging configuration at the time of sale. In effort to help Ron make his bino function, I first post offered  sugestions/links of some retailers who carried binoviewer adaptors in my post on May 1st.  With regards to your posting on this group site and addressing me personally, and suggesting I check the facts
      > b/4 advising others -Mr Elkins . I never specifically mention WO binoviewers, or any manufacturer for that matter. So (personally) I can't seem to find much merit in telling( seemed like scolding) Ron that he should have done some research before buying. As for whether he bought the bino "cheaply" (a fact???) - I believe makes no difference  -=or if he did, he didn't "know it was missing an important part" ..and "willingly" give up his ability to use his purchase to save some money! -He would not have come to members of this group seeking HELP and insight as to why he can't make it work!!!!  Adding that the seller may have held onto the great, versatile  part to solve his problem seems closer to salt than solution. The excerpt and web site suggestion I posted contain information that is may help those with questions about binoviewers[in general].
      > Though I felt it clear that my most recent post about binoviewers was clearly non-specific information(see below) I do appologize for any confusion
      > A barlow or reducer is NOT a standard "included" item with a new bino viewer ....... Some bino sellers do offer a barlow or reducer with the purchase - but it shouldn't automatically be expected.
      > Clear anger-less(me included) skies,-Tim

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic