19122[William Optics] Re: Linear Focuser

  • aruangra
    Dec 12, 2008
      Sander's statement is correct. I checked flexure of my focuser again.
      I find that the drawtube has some flexure when inserting a diagonal.
      It is mainly because
      1) there is a gap between nylon guides and brass rails.
      2) there is no roller bearings on the opposite side.

      I made a quick fix by using two M5 nylon thumb screws as shown here
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics/photos/album/1438929508/pic/834601693/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>
      The two screws go through M5 holes until they reach the drawtube,
      providing supports on the side opposite to the locking screw. So, now
      I can rigidly lock the focuser and prevent flexure.

      In my opinion, it is not the problem for only my sample but it is the
      design problem. The usability for AP is very limited !

      Regards,
      Anat

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

      > Ah, this new focuser still uses that technique? I think it's very
      > elegant as it results in a smooth exterior but it leave more flexure in
      > the focuser compared to bearings bolted directly to the outside
      housing.
      > Bummer.
      >
      > Should anyone unscrew those four allen screws anyway, no panic. Simply
      > remove the draw tube and re-attach the bearing assembly.
      >
      > Sander
      >
      > Timm Bottoni wrote:
      > >

      > > Oh, and whatever you do, don't disassemble the focuser by unscrewing
      > > the four tiny allen screws on the bottom! They hold the assembly
      > > together, including the two opposing rows of tiny ball bearings that
      > > make is work so smoothly.
      > >
      > > Timm

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic