19096Re: Linear Focuser

  • Timm Bottoni
    Dec 9, 2008
      Hi Gareth,

      Take a look at the picture on the WO website of the underside of the
      focuser on the WO FLT98CF and see if yours looks the same...
      http://www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/flt98_spec.php#

      I could be wrong, so you should probably contact WO directly on these
      but on my SCT focuser the large silver thumbscrew on the bottom should
      be there on yours as well. It is used to lock the travel in place,
      but I honestly don't think I will ever need to use it because with the
      tension adjusted I don't have any backlash or movement in mine. I
      also don't do astrophotography either though, so with a camera, etc,
      this might be needed to make sure there is no chance of slippage while
      moving the scope around. The center allen screw is used for
      adjusting the tension on mine. Maybe it's different on yours, or
      maybe WO goofed and forgot something, or maybe something wiggled out
      in shipping and you didn't spot it when you took it out.

      Who knows, but if someone else has the new M90 with the new focuser,
      please speak up and help out.

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "gjcaunter" <gjcaunter@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > discussion caught my eye.
      >
      > I actually have a new WO Megrez 90 APO with the LinearPower focuser in
      > my hands. Unfortunately there is a lot of backlash which I would like
      > to try and correct. I had looked though all the documentation
      > beforehand but found nothing relating to this design.
      >
      > Notable differences worth mentioning between the one pictured on the
      > WO website and my own are: mine lacks the large silver ring (this is
      > only relevant to SCTs I presume), and the central allen-screw and
      > large thumb screw on the bottom are absent. There are threaded holes
      > where both of these are located in the images on the website - the one
      > that has the allen-screw is covered by a quality-control sticker on my
      > Megrez. I'm 99% sure I haven't lost any screws (so to speak, you may
      > disagree).
      >
      > Is it too early to ask if you or anyone else has experience with this
      > focuser? I would appreciate any advice about how to adjust it.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Gareth
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "aruangra" <aruangra@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Timm
      > >
      > > Many thanks for the clear description. I am excitedly waiting for
      > > Megrez 90 with the new linear power focuser.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Anat
      > >

      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni" <t.bottoni@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Anat,
      > > >
      > > > Yes, sort of like a rack and pinion, it has a steel rack and a nylon
      > > > gear that turns with the focuser knobs, but it is different in
      several
      > > > ways, more sophisticated compared to the rack and pinions focusers I
      > > > have seen before because the entire weight rides on a steel bar with
      > > > steel ball bearings at all times on both sides of the steel bar.
      > > >
      > > > Both ends are held in place by three inset screws, so the 2"
      piece is
      > > > not threaded.
      > > >
      > > > The SCT threads screw onto the back of the C8 directly, and that is
      > > > the silver part you see in pictures. That part is not threaded onto
      > > > the rest of the focuser. There are three inset screws that hold
      it in
      > > > place in a channel that allows it to rotate, and these three screws
      > > > are adjustable for tension of the rotation. The focuser is
      locked in
      > > > place by a thumbscrew.
      > > >
      > > > The end where the diagonal inserts also has three screws that allow
      > > > the end piece to also rotate, but there is no thumb screw, it is
      held
      > > > in place and tightened to the tapered flange by the three inset
      > > > screws. WO stated that a custom adapter could be made to attach to
      > > > this, but I have not seen any more info on what that might be.
      > > >
      > > > Another nice improvement is the dual set screws on the brass
      retaining
      > > > ring, rather than only one like my refractor has.

      Right?
      Could
      > adapter.

      > include