17476Re: Megrez 110 vs FLT 110

  • Paul Lloyd
    Mar 8, 2008
      Just letting all my correspondents on this request for advice that I
      have now taken delivery of an FLT 110 and can say that I am delighted
      with it. Many thanks to you all for your very useful and helpful
      comments. It helped me decide to go the extra cost for the FLT 110 as
      I am looking at a long term investment that I can grow into. I look
      forward to getting it fully set up for astrophotography over the next
      few months.

      Clear skies and great viewing and photography to you all,
      Paul.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Lloyd" <thelloyds@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm new to this group as I am now considering my first purchase of
      > refractor. The 110mm aperture is about the size I'm considering and
      > have noticed that WO 'scopes nearly always get good reviews. The
      > prices of WO 'scopes here in Australia are not too unreasonable,
      > either, but the FLT 110 does stretch my budget.
      >
      > What I'm after, and I know this could be opening a can of worms as
      > most of you will have some sort of opinion, is some rationale as to
      > why the FLT 110 is almost twice the price of the Megrez 110. Do you
      > really get a 'scope that is that much better?
      >
      > My aims for the 'scope are:
      > 1) 50:50 viewing/astrophotography (DSLR mostly) from ca. 15-20X to
      > 200X
      > 2) reasonable portability so that I can take it on trips with me
      and
      > mount on a robust camera tripod.
      >
      > Is there anything else I should tell you to help narrow the
      decision
      > criteria?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Paul.