16824Re: (Slightly OT) US Import Taxes from Taiwan

  • sylvan1lake
    Dec 1 1:54 PM
      Don't confuse brokerage fees with duty or import tax. In canada FedEx
      charges a fairly substantial brokerage fee to bring items into Canada
      from the US. With USPS no brokerage fees but a 5.00 handleing fee
      from Canada post. GST is payable on all purchases and is added by
      Canada Post but thats not an import tax.

      John

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "tchphysics" <jamacq@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Lee Paul <lpaul31ld@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mark, Last Year I purchased a Demo UWAN 28mm with a little
      damage
      > for $189.00. The inport duty on this was $35.00! Needless to say I
      was
      > surprised, but it is a great Eyepiece and the price was right, so
      It
      > didn't bother me. Good Luck to you! Let us know what yours is!?
      > >
      > > Lee
      > >

      > Ouch! I bought an FLT110 demo model for $2025 plus shipping.
      Since
      > you paid 18.5% on your eyepiece, I could end up paying almost $400
      on
      > the scope. With shipping, I may have been about even if I had
      bought a
      > new scope. I'll let folks know what it ends up being...this may be
      > good lesson learned.
      >
      > Jeff

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic