116RE: [William-Optics] Re: [Telescopes] Digest Number 917

  • Ron Wodaski
    Jan 1, 2001
      I created an illustration that shows how to best balance the Megrez for
      imaging, but it also applies to the use of weighty eyepieces. The basic idea
      is to offset the scope from the center of the mount head by using an
      over-sized dovetail. I uploaded the illustration to the Files section of the
      Wm. Optics egroup:

      http://www.egroups.com/files/William-Optics/tips/megrez_CCD.jpg

      This technique can be used with any wide-field, fast refractor. Note also
      the use of an extension tube. You can also use one visually. The ideal
      solution is one that threads onto the diagonal, but a conventional extension
      tube will also work. A threaded extension tube is supplied with the Megrez
      for imaging, if I am not mistaken; I will have to see if there is an
      arrangement that would let you use it with eyepieces as well.

      From an imager's point of view, it is always better to have a shorter tube,
      as one can always make up the difference with extension tubes. There is
      nothing simple you can do about a tube that is too long.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy Book
      web site: http://www.newastro.com