114Re: [Telescopes] Digest Number 917

  • Archer Sully
    Jan 1, 2001
      sparc64v@... wrote:

      > For people like Ron who have had the scope for a few more week now,
      > care to gave us some follow ups??
      >
      > Especially comparing them to similar sized RFT, from Tak FS78, to the
      > Chinese 80 F5. On both visual, photo, and CCD performances.

      I haven't had nearly the time to use this scope as I'd like, but
      I have played around with mounting it a bit, and I do have some
      more comments...

      1. The tube is one inch (25mm) too short. There isn't an eyepiece
      in my collection that I don't have to pull out a bit to reach focus,
      even with a 2" (TeleVue) diagonal.

      2. Related to point 1, the tube is difficult to mount and balance
      on a garden variety (in my case, Vixen Polaris) GEM. I can only
      use one of the supplied rings, so the scope is a bit less stable
      than I'd like. I suspect that with a proper adapter it would be
      easier, as I could locate the mounting rings close together and
      use both of them. However, even then the focuser knobs will interfere
      with the head, so that only the full rotation of the focuser won't
      be possible. Shortening the tube won't help this, but adding
      some weight to the business end will.

      3. The focus lock/roller clutch works well. I did a bit of solar
      photography yesterday, and focus stayed put nicely after locking
      everything down. Camera was an OM1, so I wasn't pushing it, but
      I think it will work well for the task that I acquired the instrument
      for (eclipse photography). I'll be posting the images on my own
      website in the coming days for anyone's edification and amusement
      at my very green technique ;-).

      4. The optics and baffling on this scope are excellent. Still haven't
      gotten a proper star test done, but I expect it to be very good. The
      views through the scope are very nice indeed, even though the aperture
      is small.

      Going forward, I expect to fabricate a new adapter plate
      for my current mount for use at home. For travel use, I'll
      have to come up with an appropriate head for a heavy duty camera
      tripod (probably a Velbon Carmagne). This will either involve
      a barn door of some sort (type IV?) or if I'm feeling flush
      perhaps I'll just spring for the Tak Sky Patrol II.

      Archer Sully
      Boulder, CO
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic