1031Re: Megrez 102 where are you?

  • kjackson@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
    Sep 2, 2001
      I entirely agree. For $1000, I expect very good quality and
      consistency.

      For the price of a Stellarvue, you get consistency, but lack-luster
      quality. Perhaps the M102 should have been priced the same as the
      Stellarvue, since it is lacking in the other direction;)

      Either that, or improve consistency and charge $1000.

      $0.02, Keith

      --- In William-Optics@y..., dowen0@a... wrote:
      > OK, I'll be the one to disagree.
      >
      > I think that there is a huge gap between the cheap Chinese import
      4"
      > scopes at $375 and the TV/Tak 4" scopes for $2,100 (stripped down).
      > There is a market for a $995 - $1,000 scope that CONSISTANTLY
      > provides better optical performance (chrom. aber, astigmatism,
      zonal,
      > color control, etc) combined with upgraded mechanics (focuser) than
      > the cheap imports.
      >
      > I disagree with the comment that people expect APO performance at
      the
      > $995 price range. Sure, it'd be great to achieve. One problem, I
      > would suggest, is calling this scope a "semi-APO". That leads one
      > expect something that the scope can't deliver. The other problem,
      > from what I can gather, is that the manufacturer couldn't produce
      > this particular model with the level of consistancy that the
      consumer
      > expected. I wouldn't be happy either if I'd paid over $1,000 for a
      > scope that a)had to be returned to get it fixed the day after I had
      > received it or b) performed optically no better than a Celestron
      > 102HD.
      >
      > All this seems obvious to me....but then I may be a minority of one.
      >
      > David
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@y..., "Robert Schmall" <mbschmall@c...> wrote:
      > > Eric:
      > >
      > > Regardless of our individual viewpoints, it appears that all of
      us
      > agree that the marketplace was not ready for this scope at more
      than
      > $1000.
      > >
      > > Bob

      APO,
      > but a
      > > semi-APO. If you accept the definition from "Telescope Optics"
      by
      > > Rutten and Venrooij, that should mean similar to a 4" f/13.6
      > achromat
      > > for the Megrez 102. My minimum expectation for the Megrez was
      > color
      > > correction equal to an f/10 achromat, and that is approximately
      > how
      > > the Megrez performed. The bigger issues for me were contrast
      and
      > light
      > > scatter. The mechanics were superb and it was tough to send it
      > back. A
      > > week after I returned the scope, I was camping at 10,000 feet
      in
      > Utah
      > > and wished the little scope was with me. If I had paid the
      > > introductory $1,000 price instead of $1,150, and not got stuck
      > paying
      > > CA 8% tax, I probably would have kept it.
      > >

      > > Eric
      > >

      > > --- In William-Optics@y..., "Herb York" <ztrmann@f...> wrote:
      > > > Beg to differ.
      > > > People spending $1000 + for a 4" scope want it to perform
      like
      > an
      > > Tak 102 or TV 102.
      > > > This is our experience. Not blaming anyone and not
      referencing
      > your
      > > experience. Collimation is one thing - color correction
      > expectations
      > > are another.
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Herb