1030Re: Megrez 102 where are you?

  • dowen0@att.com
    Sep 1, 2001
      OK, I'll be the one to disagree.

      I think that there is a huge gap between the cheap Chinese import 4"
      scopes at $375 and the TV/Tak 4" scopes for $2,100 (stripped down).
      There is a market for a $995 - $1,000 scope that CONSISTANTLY
      provides better optical performance (chrom. aber, astigmatism, zonal,
      color control, etc) combined with upgraded mechanics (focuser) than
      the cheap imports.

      I disagree with the comment that people expect APO performance at the
      $995 price range. Sure, it'd be great to achieve. One problem, I
      would suggest, is calling this scope a "semi-APO". That leads one to
      expect something that the scope can't deliver. The other problem,
      from what I can gather, is that the manufacturer couldn't produce
      this particular model with the level of consistancy that the consumer
      expected. I wouldn't be happy either if I'd paid over $1,000 for a
      scope that a)had to be returned to get it fixed the day after I had
      received it or b) performed optically no better than a Celestron
      102HD.

      All this seems obvious to me....but then I may be a minority of one.

      David

      --- In William-Optics@y..., "Robert Schmall" <mbschmall@c...> wrote:
      > Eric:
      >
      > Regardless of our individual viewpoints, it appears that all of us
      agree that the marketplace was not ready for this scope at more than
      $1000.

      > Bob

      Utah
      > and wished the little scope was with me. If I had paid the
      > introductory $1,000 price instead of $1,150, and not got stuck
      paying
      > CA 8% tax, I probably would have kept it.
      >

      > Eric
      >

      > --- In William-Optics@y..., "Herb York" <ztrmann@f...> wrote:
      > > Beg to differ.
      > > People spending $1000 + for a 4" scope want it to perform like
      an
      > Tak 102 or TV 102.
      > > This is our experience. Not blaming anyone and not referencing
      your
      > experience. Collimation is one thing - color correction
      expectations
      > are another.
      > > Thanks
      > > Herb
      > > Anacortes Telescope
      > > www.BuyTelescopes.com
      > > www.AstroMart.com
      > > 360-588-9000
      > > 800-850-2001

      outstripped
      > reality of the
      > > price.
      > > In other words we felt that it was expected to perform at
      APO
      > levels for
      > > achromatic prices. We asked William to not provide it here
      any
      > longer.
      > > Herb York
      > > Anacortes Telescope