FYI - Car break-ins in the neighborhood...

  • MJ Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
      Hello all -
      Just wanted to let you know that our car was broken into (it was not locked, and
      our other car, which was locked, was not broken into). The thieves took nothing,
      but rifled through the glove box (they left all the meter change and our beach
      pass). I've heard from others in the neighborhood, and some up to a 1/4 mile
      away having had the same issues in the past few weeks, but with valuable things
      such as iPods, GPS nav systems, phones being taken.
      Normally, I wouldn't be quite so concerned about this, but we did have that
      incident less than a couple of years ago where someone was stealing from cars in
      the neighborhood, and later showed up someone's bedroom on Lowell St - they
      called 911 and the police caught the intruder quickly. I would rather NOT see
      that sort of thing happen again.
      I reported it to the South Portland Police Department - Officer Gerrish came to
      speak with me and asked me to let neighbors know what was going on, and to be
      vigilant about locking cars and bringing valuables inside. He also said to not
      hesitate to call them if we hear any suspicious noises, etc, or need to report
      that another break-in occurred.
      Please also pass the word onto your neighbors who may not be on this list.
      Thanks for your attention, let's make sure to do what we can to keep this from
      happening again!
      M.J. Benson
      Pillsbury Street
    • Linda Sanborn
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2011
        Thanks MJ. I have my car in my garage but will be vigilant and pass the word on. I have noted 4-6 teens hanging in a group in the area on about 4 occasions recently. This is not usually the case and they are not neighbors I recognize so will keep an eye out for any suspicious behavior. Linda S.

        To: WillardNeighborhood@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2011
          Thank you for the notice of the break-ins. I live on Elsmere and will relay that message to my neighbors too. Another reason to be concerned about the plan to turn off more street lights.

          Thanks again, June Harbison
        • Terry Reager
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2011
            We have also had some issues in the area of Willow and Willard Streets. My
            car was gone through and an expensive pair of prescription glasses taken and
            dropped behind a neighbor's shed. Also, a van was taken out of a neighbor's
            driveway, left in another neighbor's driveway, and the keys thrown in
            another neighbor's yard.
            Additionally, cars have been speeding on Preble Street, hitting parked cars,
            and then leaving the scene.

            Last year, after many calls to the police, I was contacted by Linda Barker
            of the police department. She worked with the shift commanders to put a
            plan of action in place to increase patrols of the Willard Beach
            neighborhood after 9:00 p.m., summons were issued to people who were hanging
            out between the beach and Willow Street parking lot, and generally deterred
            loitering, drag racing up and down the streets, and people wandering the
            neighborhoods late into the night.

            This year, clearly, the police have not been giving the same level of
            attention to our community. I encourage everyone to not wait until there is
            a late-night break-in or a serious hit and run incident to call the police.
            Contact them today at 799-5511 and let them know that we want a plan of
            action put in place immediately that will deter mischievous and criminal
            activity.

            Linda Barker is on vacation until 8/15, so be sure to ask for the shift
            commander.

            Regards,
            Terry Reager