Re: [WNA] Development on Willard Square

  • Nancy Seiler
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2011
      I can't attend the meeting, but I am in support of Bathras mkt, and think
      this proposal is totally inappropriate!!! Nancy 57 willow st.

      On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Stephanie Cooke <
      stephaniecooke.doula@...> wrote:

      > > Hi Friends and Neighbors,
      > >
      > > I just want to get the word out about a development that is in the
      > > works for Willard Square. There is a 2,400 square foot, two story
      > > prefabricated building that is planned on being placed between the
      > > large yellow building that faces the square (for those who might
      > > know--this is Mike Friedland's old building) and the neighboring tan
      > > house. The business will be a grocery store, catering business and
      > > prepared foods to go. The parking will be street parking only
      > > (parking behind the building which is on Thompson St. will be for
      > > employees, tenants of the yellow building and for all delivery
      > > vehicles). Although the application has not been submitted to the
      > > planning board, we do know the owners are working diligently and
      > > plan to open this summer and have been meeting with the planning
      > > board. In the words of the owner, once all permits are in place,
      > > it's a prefab building and will go up very quickly.
      > >
      > > To be clear, this isn't Bathras Market (which I fully support). The
      > > proposed name for this business is "Mr. Delicious" and will be
      > > located directly across the street from Bathras Market.
      > >
      > > Neighbors are planning to meet next Tuesday night April 5 from 7-9
      > > to share information and to make a plan. I'll get back to you soon
      > > regarding location--but hopefully the Small School.
      > >
      > > Please join us to get more details and please forward this email to
      > > anyone in our neighbhorhood. The more folks that are in the know and
      > > available to brainstorm about this project the better!
      > >
      > > I have many concerns about this project--at the top of the list are
      > > safety for our kids walking to school, parking, congestion and the
      > > aesthetic of our sweet little square.
      > >
      > > Take care,
      > > Stephanie Cooke
      > 12 Thompson St.
      > > 807-9059/ home: 767-9988

    • Stephanie Cooke
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2011
        Hello Friend and Neighbors--

        There was a big response to my previous email about the proposed Mr.
        Delicious development on Willard Square. I have not been able to
        locate a spot to hold out meeting of this size and will contact
        everyone as soon as this is determined--perhaps at the next Willard
        Neighborhood Association meeting.

        In the meantime, contact me with any questions via email or phone.

        Take care,
        Stephanie Cooke
        12 Thompson St
        767-9988/ cell: 807-9059
      • david bourke
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
          Hi everyone,

          One possible venue is Small School, but there is a charge to have a custodial
          maintenance person present.  Our Neighborhood Association is quite experienced
          at dealing with new developers, and one lesson learned is to get all parties
          present to air all sides of the issue.  We should also make certain that city
          officials, especially Tex, our Director of Planning are involved.  Keep in mind
          that we have specific zoning which applies to Willard Square which encourages
          mixed commercial and residential use.  My primary concern about the Square is
          lack of parking.  All developers should provide adequate parking consistent with
          existing codes.  No variances should be given.  Last of all, I don't recall any
          restrictions in the Ordinance limiting the number of approved businesses.  We
          live in a free society where the competitive marketplace is the law of the land.

          Best regards to all,

          Dave Bourke
          61 Willow Street