Public Meeting on Square Zoning Proposal, 10/1/2009, 7:00 pm

  • WillardNeighborhood@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      Reminder from: WillardNeighborhood Yahoo! Group

      Title: Public Meeting on Square Zoning Proposal

      Date: Thursday October 1, 2009
      Time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
      Location: South Portland City Hall
      Notes:
      Dear Neighbor,

      On Thursday, October 1 The city Planning board is having a public meeting to discuss a zoning change for the Village Commercial District (Willard Square). The changes will permanently impact property values and the quality of life for those of us who live in the neighborhood.

      The Willard commercial Zone was originally written to allow owners of old commercial buildings to develop their properties in a way which would not impact upon our neighborhood. The original ordinance was good and balanced the needs of the neighborhood with those of the commercial property owners. All development in the Square was intended be in scale with what is there now. It has since been amended to allow some owners of what were non commercial property to be included in the district.

      The proposed changes which will seriously affect our neighborhood by allowing construction  of size density and scale out of proportion with the existing neighborhood.

      1.Reduce set backs with residential zones.
      2.Increase the density of housing units
      3.Allow a reduction of off street parking.
      4.Allow smaller projects to be exempt from all public review in the future
      5.Allow restaurants with outdoor seating

      These changes are for the whole Village District not just the Leddy McLaren property. If the whole Village District were developed to the “New zoning regulation" the result would be a noisy over built square with cars parked for blocks away. I urge you to attend the planning board meeting on October 1, and oppose this project. The planning board will approve the changes without your input.

      A copy of the proposed changes can be seen at the City Planners website. at
      http://tinyurl.com/yehpn4c

      Sincerely, David Orbeton