Zoning Changes - Sept 17, 7:00pm

  • willard.beach
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2009
      Tex Haeuser, Planning Director for the City of South Portland, requested some time on our Agenda at the upcoming meeting of Willard Neighborhood Association. He will bring his draft suggesting changes to zoning in the Willard Square vicinity. Some owners have requested zoning adjustments to facilitate developments on their properties. Be sure to attend and learn firsthand what is being planned.
      Our meeting will be held at Betsy Ross House Community Room, 7:00pm on Thursday September 17.
      A regular business meeting will be held after the speakers finish their discussions.
    • davembourke
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2009
        --- In WillardNeighborhood@yahoogroups.com, "willard.beach"
        <willard.beach@...> wrote:

        > Tex Haeuser, Planning Director for the City of South Portland,
        requested some time on our Agenda at the upcoming meeting of Willard
        Neighborhood Association. He will bring his draft suggesting changes to
        zoning in the Willard Square vicinity. Some owners have requested zoning
        adjustments to facilitate developments on their properties. Be sure to
        attend and learn firsthand what is being planned.
        > Our meeting will be held at Betsy Ross House Community Room, 7:00pm on
        Thursday September 17.
        > A regular business meeting will be held after the speakers finish
        their discussions.

        We should be very concerned because one of the requested changes is to
        allow a variance to the parking restrictions. A developer wants to have
        fewer parking spaces than what is currently in the Willard Square
        Village zoning, which has already been modified to significantly reduce
        parking requirements compared to the original zonining. Any further
        reduction in parking in the Willard Square area would be harmful to all
        businesses and to the neighborhood. Perhaps this developer could
        install a below-grade parking garage to solve this problem?
      • ester_f_1999
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2009
          The businesses in Willard Square are all neighborhood businesses. One's which get most of their business via foot traffic. If a new business needs a parking variance to acomadate additional cars. Then it is not the size and type of business we need for our neighbor hood. The Square is nice lets not change the rules.

          Let them go to Mill Creek.
          David Orbeton

        • InkME@mac.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2009
            One should consider the bakery, a nice business for the neighborhood
            as an example
            ...Scratch Bakery is NOT mostly foot traffic... cars are in and out
            all day long -
            and the sidewalk project currently going on alone made an impact on
            the parking....making it
            pretty obvious that parking is an issue. I am not saying a parking
            garage is
            appropriate but parking in general should def be a consideration for
            any new business
            in the square/village.

            JT

            On Sep 15, 2009, at 2:15 PM, ester_f_1999 wrote:

            > The businesses in Willard Square are all neighborhood businesses.
            > One's which get most of their business via foot traffic. If a new
            > business needs a parking variance to acomadate additional cars. Then
            > it is not the size and type of business we need for our neighbor
            > hood. The Square is nice lets not change the rules.
            >
            > Let them go to Mill Creek.
            > David Orbeton
            >
            > --- In WillardNeighborhood@yahoogroups.com, "davembourke"
            > <DaveMBourke@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In WillardNeighborhood@yahoogroups.com, "willard.beach"
            > > <willard.beach@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Tex Haeuser, Planning Director for the City of South Portland,
            > > requested some time on our Agenda at the upcoming meeting of Willard
            > > Neighborhood Association. He will bring his draft suggesting
            > changes to
            > > zoning in the Willard Square vicinity. Some owners have requested
            > zoning
            > > adjustments to facilitate developments on their properties. Be
            > sure to
            > > attend and learn firsthand what is being planned.
            > > > Our meeting will be held at Betsy Ross House Community Room,
            > 7:00pm on
            > > Thursday September 17.
            > > > A regular business meeting will be held after the speakers finish
            > > their discussions.
            > > >
            > > We should be very concerned because one of the requested changes
            > is to
            > > allow a variance to the parking restrictions. A developer wants to
            > have
            > > fewer parking spaces than what is currently in the Willard Square
            > > Village zoning, which has already been modified to significantly
            > reduce
            > > parking requirements compared to the original zonining. Any further
            > > reduction in parking in the Willard Square area would be harmful
            > to all
            > > businesses and to the neighborhood. Perhaps this developer could
            > > install a below-grade parking garage to solve this problem?

          • david bourke
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2009
              Let's see what this developer is proposing.  It may be multi-family residential mixed use with retail on the first level.  That would certainly fit the current Willard Square Village model. If so, the only objection would be limited parking

              ________________________________
              The businesses in Willard Square are all neighborhood businesses. One's which get most of their business via foot traffic. If a new business needs a parking variance to acomadate additional cars. Then it is not the size and type of business we need for our neighbor hood. The Square is nice lets not change the rules.

              Let them go to Mill Creek.
              David Orbeton

              --- In WillardNeighborhood @yahoogroups. com, "davembourke" <DaveMBourke@ ...> wrote:

              > --- In WillardNeighborhood @yahoogroups. com, "willard.beach"
              > <willard.beach@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Tex Haeuser, Planning Director for the City of South Portland,
              > requested some time on our Agenda at the upcoming meeting of Willard
              > Neighborhood Association. He will bring his draft suggesting changes to
              > zoning in the Willard Square vicinity. Some owners have requested zoning
              > adjustments to facilitate developments on their properties. Be sure to
              > attend and learn firsthand what is being planned.
              > > Our meeting will be held at Betsy Ross House Community Room, 7:00pm on
              > Thursday September 17.
              > > A regular business meeting will be held after the speakers finish
              > their discussions.
              > >
              > We should be very concerned because one of the requested changes is to
              > allow a variance to the parking restrictions. A developer wants to have
              > fewer parking spaces than what is currently in the Willard Square
              > Village zoning, which has already been modified to significantly reduce
              > parking requirements compared to the original zonining. Any further
              > reduction in parking in the Willard Square area would be harmful to all
              > businesses and to the neighborhood. Perhaps this developer could
              > install a below-grade parking garage to solve this problem?

            • Jeanelle Demers
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16, 2009
                Actually the parking variance is to *decrease* the amount of parking the
                business would need. I think you misunderstood. The square is a very nice
                place, and the Studio Art Center will be a wonderful addition to the life
                that is springing up there. The business planned is not a large one, it
                will start out as a modest studio co-op for local artists to get established
                and to share their creations with the community. There is nothing
                threatening about it, and hopefully everyone will take the time to learn
                about it before deciding whether or not it is right for the square. If you
                have any questions do not hesitate to ask me. jeanelledemers@...

                Jeanelle

                On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM, ester_f_1999 <ester_f_1999@...>wrote:

                > The businesses in Willard Square are all neighborhood businesses. One's
                > which get most of their business via foot traffic. If a new business needs a
                > parking variance to acomadate additional cars. Then it is not the size and
                > type of business we need for our neighbor hood. The Square is nice lets not
                > change the rules.
                >
                > Let them go to Mill Creek.
                > David Orbeton
                >
                > --- In WillardNeighborhood@yahoogroups.com<WillardNeighborhood%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "davembourke" <DaveMBourke@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In WillardNeighborhood@yahoogroups.com<WillardNeighborhood%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "willard.beach"
                > > <willard.beach@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Tex Haeuser, Planning Director for the City of South Portland,
                > > requested some time on our Agenda at the upcoming meeting of Willard
                > > Neighborhood Association. He will bring his draft suggesting changes to
                > > zoning in the Willard Square vicinity. Some owners have requested zoning
                > > adjustments to facilitate developments on their properties. Be sure to
                > > attend and learn firsthand what is being planned.
                > > > Our meeting will be held at Betsy Ross House Community Room, 7:00pm on
                > > Thursday September 17.
                > > > A regular business meeting will be held after the speakers finish
                > > their discussions.
                > > >
                > > We should be very concerned because one of the requested changes is to
                > > allow a variance to the parking restrictions. A developer wants to have
                > > fewer parking spaces than what is currently in the Willard Square
                > > Village zoning, which has already been modified to significantly reduce
                > > parking requirements compared to the original zonining. Any further
                > > reduction in parking in the Willard Square area would be harmful to all
                > > businesses and to the neighborhood. Perhaps this developer could
                > > install a below-grade parking garage to solve this problem?

              • Lisa Kelley
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 17, 2009
                  I agree...Look at Portland and their parking!