Tai Chi

  • Barbara Duff
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hello, Willarders;
      I have a vision of early morning Tai Chi classes
      being held on Willard Beach....Would anybody be
      interested in participating in such a class? Does
      anyone know of a possible teacher for such a class?
      On alternate days, pehaps there could be a yoga
      class. Think of it...Doing "Salute to the Sun" as the
      beach slowly warms up and welcomes the day...An
      outdoor exercise class is the best..You get all of
      that vitamin D from the sunshine at the same time!
      I am new to all of this posting. Forgive me if I
      have somehow mis-followed the procedures..
      B.D.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sara j Orbeton
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
        I think early morning tai chi on the beach sounds wonderful! I do know
        someone who teaches it, and she has taught for the So. Ptld community
        center in the past. Her name is Paula Muller. I don't know if she is up
        for it or not though because she had a total hip replacement last
        November. But, I can ask her.

        Sara Orbeton
      • Penny Harris
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
          This sounds great but I wouldn't be able to attend much and I don't know a
          teacher.

          Penny Harris, CFRE
          PS Harris Associates
          PO Box 2862
          South Portland, ME 04116
          207-741-9086
          207-799-1651 - fax
          www.harrisfundraising.com
          I have a vision of early morning Tai Chi classes being held on Willard
          Beach....Would anybody be interested in participating in such a class? Does
          anyone know of a possible teacher for such a class?
          On alternate days, pehaps there could be a yoga class. Think of
          it...Doing "Salute to the Sun" as the beach slowly warms up and welcomes the
          day...An outdoor exercise class is the best..You get all of that vitamin D
          from the sunshine at the same time!
          I am new to all of this posting. Forgive me if I have somehow
          mis-followed the procedures..
          B.D.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Sharon Newman
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2006
            Hi Barbara:

            Ian Gamble is a well known tai chi instructor who has a studio in Portland. I am cc'ing him on this email. Don't know if he has any interest, but you may want to contact him. His website is: http://www.fullcirclesynergy.com/about.html

            Sharon Newman

            Barbara Duff <bjduffwriter@...> wrote: Hello, Willarders;
            I have a vision of early morning Tai Chi classes
            being held on Willard Beach....Would anybody be
            interested in participating in such a class? Does
            anyone know of a possible teacher for such a class?
            On alternate days, pehaps there could be a yoga
            class. Think of it...Doing "Salute to the Sun" as the
            beach slowly warms up and welcomes the day...An
            outdoor exercise class is the best..You get all of
            that vitamin D from the sunshine at the same time!
            I am new to all of this posting. Forgive me if I
            have somehow mis-followed the procedures..
            B.D.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            ---------------------------------

          • me-shell jonka
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2006
              Bonjour! what a great idea Barbara. You might want to
              visit Maine Time Banks for a list of available
              practitioners go to www.mtdn.org and tell them MeShell
              sent you. Stay well and create the life of your
              dreams.Ciao!

              --- Barbara Duff <bjduffwriter@...> wrote:

              > Hello, Willarders;
              > I have a vision of early morning Tai Chi
              > classes
              > being held on Willard Beach....Would anybody be
              > interested in participating in such a class? Does
              > anyone know of a possible teacher for such a class?
              > On alternate days, pehaps there could be a yoga
              > class. Think of it...Doing "Salute to the Sun" as
              > the
              > beach slowly warms up and welcomes the day...An
              > outdoor exercise class is the best..You get all of
              > that vitamin D from the sunshine at the same time!
              > I am new to all of this posting. Forgive me if
              > have somehow mis-followed the procedures..
              > B.D.

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              MeShell Jonka
              207-409-0167
            • Polly Bennell
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3, 2006
                Hi Barbara and group,
                I am a tai chi player (Yang long form) if there's anyone else out
                there who is also, I'd like to know.
                My summer is such that I'm not sure I'll be around to lead a 3x
                weekly class, but would love to see
                if there's anyone else who also does the same form, AND if someone
                else wants to lead another
                form I'll be happy to be a participant.
                Polly
                ~~~
                Polly Bennell
                pbennell@...
                (207) 741-2828

                On Apr 2, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Barbara Duff wrote:

                > Hello, Willarders;
                > I have a vision of early morning Tai Chi classes
                > being held on Willard Beach....Would anybody be
                > interested in participating in such a class? Does
                > anyone know of a possible teacher for such a class?
                > On alternate days, pehaps there could be a yoga
                > class. Think of it...Doing "Salute to the Sun" as the
                > beach slowly warms up and welcomes the day...An
                > outdoor exercise class is the best..You get all of
                > that vitamin D from the sunshine at the same time!
                > I am new to all of this posting. Forgive me if I
                > have somehow mis-followed the procedures..
                > B.D.

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mary Hastings
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Hi all,

                  I also do Tai Chi, only know the Yang short form at this point, but
                  need a "refresher" and would love to do this on the beach. I've
                  actually done it on the bluff up by the Fishermans' shacks a few times
                  in the past to the bewildered stares of early morning dogwalkers. So
                  whatever you do, I'm in, as long as it's early enough so I can get to
                  work.... Thanks for suggesting this.

                  Mary

                  Mary Hastings
                  Senior Associate
                  University of Southern Maine
                  Southern Maine Partnership
                  37 College Ave
                  Gorham, ME
                  207-228-8469 (office)
                  207-228-8209 (fax)

                  >>> pbennell@... 4/3/2006 9:35 pm >>>
                  Hi Barbara and group,
                  I am a tai chi player (Yang long form) if there's anyone else out
                  there who is also, I'd like to know.
                  My summer is such that I'm not sure I'll be around to lead a 3x
                  weekly class, but would love to see
                  if there's anyone else who also does the same form, AND if someone
                  else wants to lead another
                  form I'll be happy to be a participant.
                  Polly
                  ~~~
                  Polly Bennell
                  pbennell@...
                  (207) 741-2828

                  On Apr 2, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Barbara Duff wrote:

                  > Hello, Willarders;
                  > I have a vision of early morning Tai Chi classes
                  > being held on Willard Beach....Would anybody be
                  > interested in participating in such a class? Does
                  > anyone know of a possible teacher for such a class?
                  > On alternate days, pehaps there could be a yoga
                  > class. Think of it...Doing "Salute to the Sun" as the
                  > beach slowly warms up and welcomes the day...An
                  > outdoor exercise class is the best..You get all of
                  > that vitamin D from the sunshine at the same time!
                  > I am new to all of this posting. Forgive me if I
                  > have somehow mis-followed the procedures..
                  > B.D.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Elena Brandt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4, 2006
                    Call Pamela Ryan who teaches Iyengar yoga at the Portland Yoga Studio; she
                    lives on Preble Street, 767-0147.
                    >I think early morning tai chi on the beach sounds wonderful! I do know
                    > someone who teaches it, and she has taught for the So. Ptld community
                    > center in the past. Her name is Paula Muller. I don't know if she is up
                    > for it or not though because she had a total hip replacement last
                    > November. But, I can ask her.
                    >
                    > Sara Orbeton
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Elena Brandt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4, 2006
                      My husband John Cole is one of Ian's students...He may be interested!
                      > Ian Gamble is a well known tai chi instructor who has a studio in
                      > Portland. I am cc'ing him on this email. Don't know if he has any
                      > interest, but you may want to contact him. His website is:
                      > http://www.fullcirclesynergy.com/about.html
                      >
                      > Sharon Newman
                      >
                      > Barbara Duff <bjduffwriter@...> wrote: Hello, Willarders;
                      > I have a vision of early morning Tai Chi classes
                      > being held on Willard Beach....Would anybody be
                      > interested in participating in such a class? Does
                      > anyone know of a possible teacher for such a class?
                      > On alternate days, pehaps there could be a yoga
                      > class. Think of it...Doing "Salute to the Sun" as the
                      > beach slowly warms up and welcomes the day...An
                      > outdoor exercise class is the best..You get all of
                      > that vitamin D from the sunshine at the same time!
                      > I am new to all of this posting. Forgive me if I
                      > have somehow mis-followed the procedures..
                      > B.D.

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      > ---------------------------------

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Tara Healy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 4, 2006
                        Hello,
                        Lorraine Fine and Tara Healy may be interested. We too know of Paul
                        Mueller and think she is a great teacher. Sent the first message on to
                        her too. We are wondering how early is early?
                        Take care,
                        Tara & Lorraine
                      • Get Up and Go Travel
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 4, 2006
                          Hello to all,
                          I am an aerobic instructor and live just off the beach. I do not teach Tai
                          Chi though... Kick Boxing, weight training, spin, step.....

                          I do have a friend that teaches Yoga and can see if she is interested.
                          I may be interested in the Tai Chi depending on when it is and my
                          availability.

                          Cheers,
                          Liz
                          Liz Caldwell
                          Get Up and Go Travel
                          (207) 767 - 2598 Tel
                          (207) 799 - 2537 Fax
                          26 Willard Street
                          South Portland, ME 04106
                          getupngo@...

                          >I think early morning tai chi on the beach sounds wonderful! I do know
                          > someone who teaches it, and she has taught for the So. Ptld community
                          > center in the past. Her name is Paula Muller. I don't know if she is up
                          > for it or not though because she had a total hip replacement last
                          > November. But, I can ask her.
                          >
                          > Sara Orbeton
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Sara j Orbeton
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 4, 2006
                            I noticed you got a lot of positive replies about the Tai chi. I spoke
                            with Paula Muller, and she said she might think about it. She has
                            actually done tai chi on the beach, and she said the biggest problem is
                            the dogs. When you raise your hands up, the dogs think you're throwing
                            something. I think we'd have to do it up on the point by the fisherman's
                            shacks or next to the picnic cover near SMMC to avoid the early morning
                            dog run.

                            Sara Orbeton
                          • Meg Braley
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 4, 2006
                              I would love to join in if something gets going. I'd be a newcomer, but
                              Tai Chi is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Have done yoga
                              for many years, and so would love to see that happen as well or
                              alternately or whatever.

                              Meg Braley

                              On Tuesday, April 4, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Elena Brandt wrote:

                              > My husband John Cole is one of Ian's students...He may be interested!

                            • Annie
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 7, 2006
                                I'm getting to these posts late, but I, too, will be very interested
                                in Tai Chi, also a beginner

                              • Karine Odlin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 7, 2006
                                  yep I am interested too. Thanks to whoever is maybe setting this up!
                                  Karine