Re: When will breeding again be justified?

  • bernsmartin@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 2, 2001
      > Perhaps a red herring is what you're sniffing.

      > discussion of lowering birth rates is what this forum is for.

      Les, thank you for making this clear. I have to tell you, though,
      that the stated purpose of this group (and VHEMT) is too clever by
      half. The question "Why breed?" is ridiculous (as we have
      demonstrated). It is certainly not equivalent to the question "How
      can we lower birth rates?". Yes, your "red herring" position grabs
      attention and encourages interaction, but in the end it is counter-
      productive, don't you think?

      > 1) grant universal reproductive freedom. All couples who don't
      > want to breed should have the means to not do so.

      Agreed. However, couples already come pre-equipped with the primary
      means: between their ears.

      > 2) cease encouraging breeding with natalist tax incentives and
      > social pressure.

      Eliminating tax deductions for children is an interesting idea. I
      hadn't thought of that.

      Pressure to breed is innately biological (as I'm sure you know). I
      don't see any purpose in attacking societal manifestations of this
      urge. Rather, I suggest that we educate people (much as we are
      starting to do regarding other urges, such as the urge to eat sweets
      and fats).

      > 3) encourage responsible reproductive choices, perhaps reward those
      > choices.

      Agreed. Do you have any suggestions? And can you
      define "responsible reproductive choices?

      > Even a birth rate of zero would not necessarily cause a breakdown
      > of civilization. Adjustments could be made. Economies in
      > industrialized regions seem more dependent on cars than babies.

      You're slipping back into red herring mode here, I think. A
      prolonged drop to zero birth rate would be the most dramatic event in
      human history.

      > It seems to me that you don't have to create a new human life to
      > celebrate and be awed by it

      Haven't we covered this already? *I* don't have to create a new
      human life myself, but *someone* does.

      -- Brian
    • Chris X
      Message 33 of 33 , May 8, 2001
        > How long a hiatus would be necessary before we make a dent in these
        > numbers?

        that we don't know,and well...theres really only one way to find
        out,now isn't there?

        Please consider the the damage to children, other species,
        > and the earth that would occur in the meantime.

        that's the whole idea..."in the meantime", we would be working to
        quell and reverse such damage,as well as the damage we've already
        propagated.

        Chris X