Where does...could God fit into this?

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2004
      I wholy support the idea of (severely) limiting pop. growth, but
      there's something inside me that says that saying "no" to God in
      such terms might be too arrogant. The drive behind such a cause is
      right on the mark, no doubt.
      Not making any judgements at all, and no conclusions are screaming
      inside me, i'm just asking, "Where does God fit into this?" Though
      my internal voice sounds more like, "This sound like something God
      would support, but how?"

      M ><IXOYE> Y
    • Brian A.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2004
        M ><IXOYE> Y:

        Don't most religions mandate celibacy for the "advanced"
        members, such as clergy? If everyone really wanted to get in
        touch with their spiritual essence, far fewer people would be
        breeding. Raising children isn't exactly the best way to
        practice nonattachment to the material world either. Every
        religious system I have ever read about espouses disdain for the
        world of illusion.

        Jesus didn't have any children, right? And God himself only
        actually "begot" one (his only begotten son, John 3:16).

        You may be thinking of the Genesis command to "be fruitful and
        multiply." I think it's time to check that one off the "to do"
        list and move on to "thou shalt not kill." Not to mention
        "honor thy father and thy mother" which I take to mean don't be
        an ass to your parents or do things that would tend to embarass
        them, as well as honoring both the masculine, authoritative
        divine essence AND the feminine, caring one. Maybe once
        humanity gets a handle on those two we can move on to "love thy
        neighor as thy self."

        Not producing children is really the only logical choice given
        the current state of the planet and of human society, and I
        really think that God wants us to do what makes sense. It
        doesn't make sense to "sell berths on a sinking ship," as Les
        has put it.

        Thanks for letting me air out my opinions,
        brian.

        --- Michael <statarius@...> wrote:
        > I wholy support the idea of (severely) limiting pop. growth,
        > but
        > there's something inside me that says that saying "no" to God
        > in
        > such terms might be too arrogant. The drive behind such a
        > cause is
        > right on the mark, no doubt.
        > Not making any judgements at all, and no conclusions are
        > screaming
        > inside me, i'm just asking, "Where does God fit into this?"
        > Though
        > my internal voice sounds more like, "This sound like something
        > God
        > would support, but how?"
        >
        > M ><IXOYE> Y
        >

        > VHEMT Volunteers and Supporters may subscribe to
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Voluntary_Human_Extinction
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kenneth Robertson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2004
          --- In Why_breed@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <statarius@y...> wrote:

          > Not making any judgements at all, and no conclusions are screaming
          > inside me, i'm just asking, "Where does God fit into this?" Though
          > my internal voice sounds more like, "This sound like something God
          > would support, but how?"
          >
          > M ><IXOYE> Y

          There are two scenario's that one must concider in the relationship
          between God, Man and Earth. In both God is the creator of Man and
          Earth, but the focus is which is his most prized creation. In the
          first God created the Earth and needed a curator in which Man has
          done a terrible job and should be fired while there is something left
          to curate. In the second, Man is Gods child, his pride and joy; and
          as his first gift to Man he gives ownership of the planet Earth. If
          you own father gave you a new shiny bike for your birthday, would he
          not expect you to keep it a new and shiny as the day he gave it to
          you out of gratitude and love for your parent?
          God's said to man to fill the Earth, but also cautioned him
          repeatedly about the virtue of moderation and even told a story
          (parable) of a farmer who poisoned his own land by overplanting; What
          could God have been warning bout here?
          We know that as a parent, God does not want his children to
          suffer and yet knowing their selfish, willful nature he warns of a
          end of times scenario filled with all of the symptoms of
          overpopulation and vast shortages of resourses. Many have taken that
          warning as an inevitable future, but what if it were only a warning
          of what could happen if we ignored common sense and drained the
          planet of everything we can squeeze out of it?
          I will admit that I am no theologian, but I am christian and
          dedicated to reducing population and restoring native habitats.

          kenr61