hi,I'm new...I like what I see here,and .....

  • nite_howler71
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
      I would like to argue in favor of breeding.It all comes down to
      genes,whether you're a virus or a complex animal,you are here to
      survive,and continue your genes.Unfortunately,that process has taken
      it's toll on the planet,which is why I'm all too eager to see us
      isolate ourselves from Earth's ecosphere-be it underground or into
      space.One way or another I feel like we should have as little effect
      if any at all on the planet's surface.I hope this entry isn't a waste
      of your time.Good day.
    • Les U. Knight
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
        Hello and welcome.

        >I would like to argue in favor of breeding.It all comes down to
        genes,whether you're a virus or a complex animal,you are here to
        survive,and continue your genes.<

        What if these two goals are mutually exclusive? Our continuing to
        pass on our genes threatens our survival.

        >Unfortunately,that process has taken
        it's toll on the planet,which is why I'm all too eager to see us
        isolate ourselves from Earth's ecosphere-be it underground or into
        space.One way or another I feel like we should have as little effect
        if any at all on the planet's surface.<

        Living underground might not reduce our environmental impact all that
        much. Like metropolitan areas, we would still have to bring in
        resources and put out wastes. While it's theoretically possible for
        humans to live in space, establishing those space stations would have
        a heavy environmental impact as well.

        One major problem I see with humans living underground and in space
        is that we won't like it. If we collectively aren't willing to stop
        increasing our numbers by 210,000 per day for the good of Earth's
        ecosphere, I doubt we'll be willing to live in totally artificial
        environments for that reason.

        What would be our reason for producing future generations whose lives
        would be so mentally unhealthy? I guess that's what we're doing today
        even without the prospects of living underground or in space. I
        wonder why. Is our purpose to reproduce ourselves to death like
        mindless yeast in a batch of beer?

        >I hope this entry isn't a waste of your time.Good day.<

        Not at all. Such considerations are what this forum is for.

        Les
      • nite_howler71
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2003
          by asterisks)

          Hello and welcome.

          I would like to argue in favor of breeding.

          *** Me too

          It all comes down to
          genes, whether you're a virus or a complex animal, you are here to
          survive, and continue your genes.

          *** Exactly…

          What if these two goals are mutually exclusive? Our continuing to
          pass on our genes threatens our survival.

          **** It just so happens it does, if we continue at the rate we're
          going we will eventually destroy ourselves

          >Unfortunately, that process has taken
          its toll on the planet, which is why I'm all too eager to see us
          isolate ourselves from Earth's ecosphere-be it underground or into
          space. One way or another I feel like we should have as little effect
          if any at all on the planet's surface.

          *** Once again, exactly.

          Living underground might not reduce our environmental impact all that
          much. Like metropolitan areas, we would still have to bring in
          resources and put out wastes.

          **** Using resources: we're going to have to get them from somewhere,
          I vote for asteroid mining, but that is too costly at the moment.
          However, WHILE we are WORKING TOWARD that goal, use what's available
          here in as economical a fashion as possible. There is actually very
          little of our waste that can't be recycled somehow or another, it
          just comes down to economic viability (which brings me nearer to my
          eventual point-money is what's ######## it up for us, I say we should
          start by removing money, not ourselves.)

          **** Could you list those please?

          One major problem I see with humans living underground and in space
          is that we won't like it.

          *** Yes, well, they won't like it when they wipe themselves out either

          If we collectively aren't willing to stop
          increasing our numbers by 210,000 per day for the good of Earth's
          ecosphere, I doubt we'll be willing to live in totally artificial
          environments for that reason.

          *** Hmm, stop having sex so I can live on the surface, or stop living
          on the surface so I can keep having sex…I think you'd be surprised at
          the answer (and really it's not so much about the sex, I just want to
          be able to live my gluttonous life and pollute my immediate
          environment without any serious consequence to the planet.) But
          you're inadvertently correct about people's choice. Humans are too
          lazy to pick one of those options because they know they will never
          actually have to in this lifetime, and that mentality will continue
          with each generation until something cataclysmic happens and forces
          us into a new direction.I daydream of being that something
          cataclysmic.

          What would be our reason for producing future generations whose lives
          would be so mentally unhealthy?

          *** Why do you feel they would be mentally unhealthy? If you teach
          your offspring the responsibility of coexisting with a delicate
          ecosystem, that would have to be commended as healthy and honorable.

          I guess that's what we're doing today
          even without the prospects of living underground or in space. I
          wonder why. Is our purpose to reproduce ourselves to death like
          mindless yeast in a batch of beer?

          *** When you think about it, we pretty much serve the same purpose as
          any virus, bacteria, sponge at the bottom of the sea, or a bird or
          any living organism found on this planet- to continue our DNA. Planet
          Earth is the womb in which the seed of the stars has sprouted; soon
          we must exit this womb before it eventually washes us out.