Re: "justification" seems to me a misguided requirement

  • Les U. Knight
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
      elwormo, you wrote:

      >The only reason I can think of that breeding is needed would be to
      keep the ecoonomy stable.....to cut off breeding for a period of time
      will mean a lack of business in all the areas that supply child type
      products, as well as childhood medical divisions....and the list goes
      on..........other than that vhemt hasa very good point.<

      Paul Ehrlich said the same thing at a conference I attended. In the
      same speech he said that we could conserve and still have a high
      standard of living, citing riding mass transit instead of being stuck
      in traffic. Giving up cars, basically.

      I agree that a modern mass transit system, not smelly old busses that
      also get stuck in traffic, would be more enjoyable than waiting for
      the light to change, while trapped in a metal box breathing exhaust.

      However, as far as the economy goes, I think we're far more dependent
      on cars than babies and children. Listen to the ads on radio and see
      how many are for cars and how many are for child products. Go to the
      yellow pages and see how fat the section is for Auto -- right up
      there with Attorneys and Physicians.

      Of course, each new person created in over-industrialized regions is
      likely to aspire to car ownership, so one feeds the other.

      Giving up breeding might be a lot easier than giving up driving a car
      in North America.

      Les